PDA

View Full Version : Liquid flux?

dubber123
02-07-2010, 09:58 AM
A friend is getting into casting, and has access to 8 gallons of liquid soldering flux for free. He asked me if I could forsee any problems with using it to flux his alloy in the pot. Other than telling him to look up any hazards in the MSDS sheet, I didn't really have an answer for him. I suggested adding it to cold metal, to avoid dropping a cold liquid into molten alloy. Does anyone have any other thoughts? I told him I just used sawdust, but this stuff is made for fluxing, and is free to him. Thanks.

anachronism
02-07-2010, 10:45 AM
is it acid based flux? If so, he'll want nothing to do with it.

Mk42gunner
02-08-2010, 01:20 AM
If it's free, try it. The don't use acid based flux idea came from soldering components on circuit boards, where it is hard to get all of the acid neutralized. I don't forsee any problems using it for fluxing alloy.

Robert

dubber123
02-08-2010, 01:40 AM
This stuff is used on medical instrument circuitry. It has an "expiration date" on it due to being used in the medical field. It comes in gallon jugs, and they only use an ounce or so before the date is up, and have to replace it. The shop has about 8 gallons accumulated. He took some home and tried soldering some pipes with it, and said it worked great. Thanks for the input.

RaymondMillbrae
02-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Check out this excellent article!

FLUXING BULLET METAL (http://www.lasc.us/FryxellFluxing.htm)

In Christ: Raymond