PDA

View Full Version : Lee 230g TL hollow pointed

Shooter6br
02-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Hollow pointed 230 Lee TL using Foster hollow point tool. I used drill provided then used larger drill to open up cavity. Will test when i get some 20-1 alloy (I use Lyman #1) Gives me something to do during the long cold Pa ,winter

Shiloh
02-06-2010, 11:24 PM
let us know.

Looks like it would still feed fine, but let us know that as well.

Shiloh

Buckshot
02-07-2010, 02:24 AM
...............Should work! Looks like a hole someone wrapped a bit of boolit around :-) You thought about filling the cavity with wax or caulk? Be neat to see what left after a tirp through a couple milk jugs worth of water.

.................Buckshot

Shooter6br
02-07-2010, 10:05 AM
As soon as I get some 20-1 to cast up some I will see how it expands. I read an article on You tube about using almost any case trimmer to drill the hollow points. I find the sleeve that Foster uses centers the drill to the bullet.Not sure how much alloy you need to remove to make good expansion.Need to experiment to get the perfect "mushroom". i know that a hollow point mold is alot easier to use,but I like to work on the "cheap".I am waiting on a NOE 32 .314 118 solid and 100 g HP for my 32 Mag. It is due in June so i need to play over the winter Rick P>S The 230 grain solisd is now 195 g Like to keep it at 200 grain HP

imashooter2
02-07-2010, 10:33 AM
A number 2 center drill might make a better cavity...

Bass Ackward
02-07-2010, 11:26 AM
As soon as I get some 20-1 to cast up some I will see how it expands.

A hollow point expands best if it can create hydraulic pressure. So if you fill with wax as Rick suggested, then expansion begins quicker because it normally has to fill from the flesh to expand.

Plus, if you hit an angled shot, you don't risk the hollow point collapsing closed as easily and thus failing to expand properly or at all. Sometimes angled shots will just break off the nose. As long as that nose can seal so that the wax doesn't get out, it would expand a steel bullet.

Oldtimer
02-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Just thinking out loud, rekon with all the heat generated there would be any wax left in the boolit by the time it got out of the end of the barrel? Bob

Bass Ackward
02-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Just thinking out loud, rekon with all the heat generated there would be any wax left in the boolit by the time it got out of the end of the barrel? Bob

Bob,

If you ever mold a bullet that has a hole (defect) in the base, fill the hole with lube and load it with a heavy enough charge to make sure that the hardness seals. Shoot and then recover the slug. What you will find is that the lube is still intact. Now if you don't seal and enough cool air passes that it becomes the hot gas generated by the powder, you will lose the lube on the base.

But if you seal and it doesn't affect the lube (wax) at the hot end, I doubt that the other will feel much effect at handgun velocities. And once it begins moving, it is going to stay right there until the nose splits and it can escape.

Not a new concept here. Think back when you were a kid. You could shoot a bird with a 22LR hollow point and do considerable damage. But if you shot it with a hollow point brand that was filled with wax, all you saw was feathers coming down. Same thing.

45-70 Chevroner
02-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Back in the 80s I loaded up some 45 LC with some 292 gr. 45-70 boolits sized to .454 and hollow pointed with a drill bit large enough to take a shot gun primer. I drilled them about 3/4 of the way down to the base. I filled them with 3FG Goex leaving enough room to cap it with a shotgun primer. They make a nice cloud of dust in a dry dirt bank. These loads were shot out of Ruger Black Hawk. I don't remember the powder load. I got the load data from an old Fouling Shot Magazine. I still have the magazine and the load was for the bullet only the nose charge was my idea. I don't know if this is legal but I knew some guys that were shooting Dynomite with rifles and that was legal.

HangFireW8
02-07-2010, 11:48 PM

Even if it becomes liquid, where's it going to go?

-HF

dubber123
02-08-2010, 01:15 AM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh83/dubber123/IMG_3149.jpg These had the HP plugged with boolit lube. These were fired into water, but I also fired several into wood, both end and cross grain. I have had MANY much faster HP's do nothing in wood, with the HP being plugged full of wood. Every single one fired with the lube in the HP expanded in a similar manner. As stated, a HP needs hydraulic pressure to work. By "pre plugging" it with a material that can go hydraulic under pressure, they always work.