PDA

View Full Version : Loading the the Lee 45cal 230 gr. TC BB

Calpoly93
02-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Hello...
Help... I am finally getting to shoot some of my cast boolits and have some more questions about some things that aren't quite making sense...
I cast the Lee 230 grain TC BB (with a grease groove) out of WW with about 1% tin added, and lubed them with the RCBS lube that came with the sizer.

I really like VV340 in the 45 ACP, so I loaded a test batch starting at the lowest end, which if I recall correctly was 6.0 gr., with a CCI primer. Now, the bullets are less than 230 gr., roughly 223gr.

When I fired the first few the recoil seemed much greater than it should be, so I decided not to "move up the ladder". No other signs of high pressure, but didn't want to tempt fate...

It seems these should have been rather "mild", relatively speaking.?
Don't lead boolits generally produce lower pressures?

Not looking forward to dismantling teh whole test series, but it looks like that's the way to go!

What powders (other than Unique, Bullseye, 231) do you guys like?

PepperBuddha
02-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I just loaded my 1st ones. I am starting with 5.0 grains 231...

yodar
02-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Hello...
Help... I am finally getting to shoot some of my cast boolits and have some more .

I really like VV340 in the 45 ACP, so I loaded a test batch starting at the lowest end, which if I recall correctly was 6.0 gr., with a CCI primer. Now, the bullets are less than 230 gr., roughly 223gr.

What powders (other than Unique, Bullseye, 231) do you guys like?

I have been using Hodgdon Clays ever since i saw the guys on 1911 list go apesh*t over the accuracy of a 3.7 gr load. I can shoot that powder all day.

CLAYS is designed for shotgun Clays competition as a high impulse low recoil energy powder,and indeed I can shoot it all day.

At 3.7 gr it lasts forever and burns with virtually no residual ash.

A second powder that is labeled for SOME 45 ACP applications is an Australia Defense Industry powder repackaged by Hodgdon as Universal clays which I prefer for 9mm, but in 45 it takes a larger charge than CLAYS .

Tho Vhitavouri powder is an excellent product, similar non-import products are available which many find just as good

best lusk

yodar

Calpoly93
02-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Thank! I have a pound or so of Clays, I'll try that.