PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Pro 7 Press

Bandit46
06-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Need an opinion on Hornady's Pro 7 press. I just bought one and it looks promising. Built like a Bulldozer.

Swagerman
06-10-2006, 01:52 PM
I've seen them at Gander Mt. They look well constructed, but heard the primer system is a nightmare...then so is Dillon some times. I know, call the rep and he'll walk you through it.

(Singing, take my hand I'm a stranger in reloading land. ) :mrgreen:

You should do alright with the Pro-7 unit. :-D

Jim

Dale53
06-10-2006, 02:26 PM
I suggest you try both the Hornady AND the Dillon 550 before you buy. When I tried the Hornady I definitely did NOT like trying to sit a bullet on a moving case. The Dillon was MUCH more "user friendly". Now, I was trying out the Hornady when it was first introduced. They may have improved it.

I am EXTREMELY happy with my Dillon and their No BS warranty is as advertised.

Dale53

JudgeBAC
06-10-2006, 06:17 PM
I have one of the original Pro 7 presses. I really did not like it when I first started loading with it. They came out with an upgrade and for $25.00 added some useful features. I worked much better after the upgrade. The only problem with it is using hard primers like CCI they are a b**** to seat. All other primers cause no problems at all. It is built like a tank and should last several lifetimes.

Bandit46
06-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate it.

CSH
06-11-2006, 08:52 AM
The weaknesses of the Pro7 are the priming system and powder dispenser linkage. The priming system was much improved with the introduction of the Projector, ditto for the powder dispenser with the Lock n Load progressive. You can purchase the parts from Hornady to address these shortcomings, otherwise I think a lot of frustration is in your future. I have two of these presses and have "fixed" both of them. They can really crank out the ammo.

martinibelgian
06-26-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm running an old Pro-jector, added the auto powder dispenser kit. Had to re-adjust the indexing mechanism (bought it 2nd hand), but for the rest no real problems - the thing is well-built, and can turn out ammo with a certain 'alacrity'. I did need to spend some time fiddling with the primer seater to get it adjusted correctly, but once that is done, it is pretty reliable. It also helps to add some weight on top of the primer column in the primer tube (a knitting needle for me - makes the primer feed more reliable, and also gives an indicator of the no. of primers left). I like the 5 stations, allows me to taper crimp separately, as well as dispense powder. I have never worked a Dillon, but believe the Hornady micrometric powder measure is superior in every respect to the Dillon one - much more easier to adjust. Final judgment? I like it, and would buy one of the new L n L Progressives based on my experience with this one - seems like more value for money to me. But then again, the Pro 7 is the single stage, no??

dromia
06-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi Gert,

how you doing mate? Long time no speak are you going to Bisley in a fortnight?

I run a Hornady L-N-L progessive and its the biscuits as good as a dillon at a lot less cost, I have it set up for 6.5 mm Swedish.

Do me .303" on an RCBS Ammomaster, shame they stopped making that. I've had mine over 10 years and it's never missed a beat.

BD
07-02-2006, 06:20 PM
dromia, which shell plate are you using for the 6.5x55? Are you using the Skandahoovian brass or the US stuff? I have a old pro-jector which has been "fixed up" that I use exclusively for .45 acp. I'm thinking of setting up another one for the 6.5x55, but Hornady doesn't seem to list the shell plate. BD

dromia
07-04-2006, 02:04 AM
Hornady L-N-L shellplate No: 1 is for 6.5 Swedish.

I use batches of Lapua and Norma for my G63 and cheapy Prvi Partisan and FNM brass for the others.

The problem I have is getting hold of a No: 11 shell plate to do .303".