PDA

View Full Version : Lead Smelter

Denver
06-09-2006, 05:28 PM
I lucked out today and was given a gas burner that appears to be a homemade affair that is built somewhat like a turkey fryer burner. It has a regulator and a needle valve in the line. Well, to make a long story short, when I got it hooked up to the tank and fired it up, it burns with a big yellow flame even with the valve wide open. There's an air regulator on the burner where the hose hooks up, but adjusting that didn't make a difference. Investigating further, I found the orfice is a #27, so now I need to figure if I need one larger or smaller to make it burn right. Any ideas?

:castmine:

Pepe Ray
06-09-2006, 10:03 PM
You need a SECONDARY oxygen supply.
If you examin any domestic burners you'll note that they always have an adjustable oxy. port. usually located right AT the gas oriface.
Does your outfit have this.
beware of Homemade gear. Pepe Ray P.S.
also many of the older rigs had an adjustable gas oriface. Wrench on hex head of Oriface, turn to right to reduce gas . The Only way I know of getting the gas/Oxy ratio correct for a BLUE flame. PR

Denver
06-09-2006, 11:17 PM
The burner itself is a commercially made unit that likely came from another appliance of some sort. It has an adjustable plate that rotates over the opening where the hose connects to the burner. It was wide open when I first tried it, but closing it down didn't change the flame much. The needle valve in the line seems to have some control, and the flame burns somewhat cleaner at full open. I would think changing the orfice size would make a difference.

KYCaster
06-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Try cleaning the orifice, see if that helps.

Jerry

shooter575
06-10-2006, 11:01 PM
I was given a OLD LP plumbers pot a few years ago.Had a hose but no regulater.So I installed one and hooked it up. Did not heat worth a hoot. So I put it away and forgot about it.Few years later I was talking to a old plumber and I told him the story.He smiled and said take off the regulater.They were made to run straight lp pressure.I did,It does. Will melt a 80 pound from cold in 15 minutes.
As with most of my information this may or my not be of any use to ya!

MT Gianni
06-11-2006, 12:27 AM
#27 is probably for Natural gas. i don't have a book at home but you are probably after something in the mid 60's for a similar btu per hour burn. Left as is you will only soot things up. Make sure that your reg is set at 11" water column fixed pressure, or if adjustable it should be for 3"-5" preferabbly set at 3.5"water column. If so try it on natural if available. at worst PM me and I will see if I have an orifice to swap out that would work on LP. Gianni. [Journeyman gasfitter now Measurement tech.]

Denver
06-11-2006, 09:33 AM
#27 is probably for Natural gas. i don't have a book at home but you are probably after something in the mid 60's for a similar btu per hour burn. Left as is you will only soot things up. Make sure that your reg is set at 11" water column fixed pressure, or if adjustable it should be for 3"-5" preferabbly set at 3.5"water column. If so try it on natural if available. at worst PM me and I will see if I have an orifice to swap out that would work on LP. Gianni. [Journeyman gasfitter now Measurement tech.]

Thanks for the info and the offer. It appeared to me that it was getting too much gas for the amount of air as it burned with a yellow flame and the burner was sooted up. The regulator doesn't appear to be adjustable. What do I look for to tell what I have? I can likely get orfices at the local gas co. or make one if I knew what size I need.

Thanks, Ron :lovebooli

Dale53
06-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Denver;
If the orifice is removable (most I have seen are) just remove it. Get a set of number drills and start opening it up (a couple of thousandths at a time). If you go one step too far, just pein the hole shut and redrill one size smaller. I have done this on various gas appliances with good results. I suggest you check with your local bottle gas supplier - he will have most of the information you need to get close so you don't spend all day slowly moving up. Most of these guys are quite helpful.

My camper kitchen, of long ago, was set up for bottle gas (Liquid Propane) but was not "rich" enough to heat properly. Took AGES to even boil water. When I finished with it (had to open all of the burners) it was wonderful. Worked perfectly for thirteen years, then I sold the camper and at least two other parties continued to use it.

Dale53

DLCTEX
06-11-2006, 03:37 PM
If the flame is yellow, as stated, that would indicate a fuel rich mixture, either decrease fuel or add more air. Probably has jet for natural gas=lower pressure= large orifice. A smaller jet is called for on propane.

Denver
06-11-2006, 04:01 PM
If the flame is yellow, as stated, that would indicate a fuel rich mixture, either decrease fuel or add more air. Probably has jet for natural gas=lower pressure= large orifice. A smaller jet is called for on propane.

Kinda what I thought. I know that orfices I've seen in propane torches are way small compared to this thing.

MT Gianni
06-12-2006, 05:58 PM
#27 for nat gas is 58,800 btu hour, the same for propane is a #44 drill size for 60.300 btuhr, I would go with a #45 because of wobble and drill by hand if possible. The Regulator should have a rating for pressure printed on it, if it is a straight hose without a bottle hookup it is probably for Nat gas. Lp regs are under $10. Most water heaters are 32,000-40,000 btuhr so this would be almost twice the input of a smaller one. # 27 on propane is about 165,000 what the biggest chinese wok would fire at and with a more complicated burner.Start with the air shutter fully open and gradually close it until the flame cone is no longer sharp and defined. Then open it until it becomes defined and sharp, for lp there will still be a yellow tip but just barely. Hope this helps, Gianni.

Denver
06-13-2006, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=MT Gianni]#27 for nat gas is 58,800 btu hour, the same for propane is a #44 drill size for 60.300 btuhr, I would go with a #45 because of wobble and drill by hand if possible. The Regulator should have a rating for pressure printed on it, if it is a straight hose without a bottle hookup it is probably for Nat gas. Lp regs are under $10. Most water heaters are 32,000-40,000 btuhr so this would be almost twice the input of a smaller one. # 27 on propane is about 165,000 what the biggest chinese wok would fire at and with a more complicated burner.Start with the air shutter fully open and gradually close it until the flame cone is no longer sharp and defined. Then open it until it becomes defined and sharp, for lp there will still be a yellow tip but just barely. Hope this helps, Gianni.[/QUOTE

SUCCSESS! I made an orfice and drilled it with a #45. It now burns with a nice blue flame, and with the needle valve I can fine tune it til it sounds and burns like an accetyline torch.

Thanks All :drinks: