PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336 R.C 35 remington ???

357maximum
06-09-2006, 03:41 PM
A buddy and I were talking today, and when we were done I ended up owning a Marlin 336 R.C in 35 rem. Two questions; what does the R.C mean?
where is the best place to get a replacement forearm band and screw assembly? it is stripped and has a little light surface rust on it. I though about numerich, but it seems everytime I go to them and order they backorder the part(s) for longer than I think they should. Anyone know of a better place for the band and screw?

The gun is in great shape except for the forearm band issue and a slightly rusty area on the barrel around the rear sight area. It is not drilled for scope and is NOT a micro groove. The bore is beautiful and the bluing is perfect everywhere else. The wood could use a little attention, but is ding free, just dry looking.

Now the GREAT part... I traded an old mossberg 402 lever action 22 with scope for it. I think I did O.K.

Michael

StarMetal
06-09-2006, 04:02 PM
357max,

The RC stands for Real Crummy....no no just kidding [smilie=l: That means it's a regular carbine. You got one heck of a deal, that's fantastic, an old non micro-groove Marlin...wow, I'm jealous. You got one heck of a good cast shooter there and in an excellent caliber. Enjoy it.

Joe

357maximum
06-09-2006, 04:19 PM
I told him I owe him, he said no you don't, had it ten years shot it twice. He said he would at least shoot the 22 (it did have a nice 3X9 leapers mini on it) and he could get rid of some of his asparugus thieves to boot. (Wabbits)

Some one has shot it a bit cause the bluing on the loading gate is worn a bit and the bolt looks like it has been cycled a lot.

You see he collects winchester C.F levers and this one simply did not belong. Hooray for me..

The best thing is I need absolutely nothing new to load it with cast. Was gonna go fishing this weekend, but I may not make it now. I may just spend the weekend with the 444s, and my new 336 .

Michael

Scrounger
06-09-2006, 04:20 PM
You can get the needed parts direct from Marlin. Joe's right, you got a great gun and an even greater deal on it.

357maximum
06-09-2006, 05:03 PM
You can get the needed parts direct from Marlin. Joe's right, you got a great gun and an even greater deal on it.

Cool man I needed that info, thanks

35remington
06-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Congratulations on the swap-I think you came out ahead, but given my username, you'd kinda expect I'd think like that.

Did you figure out the date of manufacture? It's easy to do so. I also think that Marlin would be the best place to get a replacement band and screw.

Brownell's Oxpho-Blue does a good job of matching the color of the Marlin blueing and it's a pretty durable finish.

The RCBS 200 FNGC is a great bullet for the .35 Remington and you can duplicate factory load speeds with good accuracy. Bullets cast of air cooled wheelweights with a little tin do a good job when this bullet is used for whitetail deer.

I have so much fun hunting with mine that it's difficult for me to use anything else.

357maximum
06-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Took her for a spin this afternoon, remington factory softpoints, just at 1 inch at 100 yds, and the wind conditions were a bit brisk on a less than stable bench (need to build a good one).

I was using a williams peep I had lying around and while she shoots a good group she shoots a lil high, gonna have to get me a different front sight me thinks. I will try my 185 grain WFNGC boolits from a mountain mold in er this weekend I hope. Got a bunch of open houses to get to..

Michael

BTW she is a K so 1953 it is.....

rmb721
06-09-2006, 11:29 PM
You can get the forearm and parts from Brownell's.

Glen
06-10-2006, 01:00 AM
Congrats on a good trade for a fine rifle. You'll like the way that rifle shoots cast bullets.

Marlin Junky
06-10-2006, 04:48 AM

I'd be interested to learn how your .35's barrel spec's out. I bought a 336A in .35 Remington this year and the groove diameter near the chamber appears to be greater than .360". I bought some bullet weights at Wally World that measure just about .359" max and they weren't fat enough to fill the grooves down by the chamber. I think I got a pretty good reading of .3590" to .3595" right at the muzzle. I also bought 5000 gas checks just for this rifle so I'm committed to find a boolit mold that'll work with 'er. I purchased a SAECO 352 and I can't get that darn mold to drop a boolit above .3585" in diameter on the driving bands, but the nose at .3480" to .3485" fits just fine.

I'm thinking about having Dan at Mountain Molds cut me a custom .362" mold that'll cast a 240 to 250 grain boolit with a single lube groove, 67% meplat and a long bore riding nose but I need to figure out how to specify the nose diameter.

MJ

P.S. My .35 is an "H" gun (1951).

Dutch4122
06-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Marlin Junky-

I've got a LBT 35-210-LFN mold that drops .364" cast of straight W/W. Send me a PM if you'd like a few boolits to try in your 336A.

357maximum
06-10-2006, 09:19 AM
MJ

At the throat she measures .3591 to .3593 Had a little difficulty with measurments (7 lands, grooves)

At the muzzle she is .3583 to .3585

Those numbers are really close but proably not exact.

I do know she has a lot shorter throat than aything else I own. I am going to have to use my lee factory crimp and create some crimp grooves, it seems.

I designed both my mountain molds a little long in the nose for this gun. She touches the rifling right at .315 with my ogive flat and trunacated flat boolits.

Hope that is what you were after
Michael

PatMarlin
06-10-2006, 11:04 AM
THose metal bands seem to strip or wallow out cause of soft metal, and what I did was litterly take some permatex 2B non hardening formagasket, and coat both sides of the threads and reassembled.

Never moved again.

1" at 100? that's awesome. Mine hates copper boolits. Never could get it to shoot, but it likes cast.

Marlin Junky
06-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Dutch4122,

I don't know what the heck I'm doing on this PM system. The first time I tried to PM you, the system logged me out and the 2nd and 3rd time, it looks like the PM's went to my account. Please excuse the multiple PM's if in fact you got all three. If you didn't get any of the PM's, please email me at marlinjunky@yahoo.com.

MJ

Marlin Junky
06-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Mike,

With those dimensions, SAECO 352 may work very nicely for you. It has a narrow enough leading band that you can crimp in the designated groove. Email my yahoo address if you want some boolits. I think I've got a couple hand fulls laying around right now.

MJ

btrapr1
11-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Bump to revive an old thread_________

357Maximum______ I will try my 185 grain WFNGC boolits from a mountain mold in er this weekend I hope. Got a bunch of open houses to get to...

How did it work...

Have any of you tried the RanchDog 190 35cal?