PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on best lubersizer

dpunch
02-03-2010, 02:32 AM
I am just getting started making my own boolits.
I have first been getting enough lead. Now I have 300 pounds of WW and 800 Pounds of linotype, and some soft lead. I have a few moulds to start. Now I am looking into a lubersizer. I would like the opinions of the experienced people here.
I want something that will do the job and will last. This forum is the best I have found for no BS info.

Bret4207
02-03-2010, 07:09 AM
People say if you want speed get a Star. If you want inexpensive get a Lee. Personally I prefer my RCBS over my Lymans, I also use several Lees. All work fine, all will last with care. All can mangle a boolit or break, although breaking a Lee would be a chore.

If you want a standard sizer I'd go with a used RCBS.

Edubya
02-03-2010, 08:47 AM
I have a SAECO that is very nice and does the job. I've got two Stars, one is over 20 years old and the other one is less than a year old. I use all three of them but the Stars are use for quantity production. The Star will do at least 2-1 over the SAECO but they also cost twice as much.
EW

Echo
02-03-2010, 01:45 PM
If you are casting for PB pistol boolits, go with the Star. If casting for both pistol & rifle boolits, PB & GC, then go with an RCBS/LAM. If money is flush, go for both.

And WW's & lino, 50/50, makes a great alloy. Lead & lino, 50/50, is dang good too.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-03-2010, 03:25 PM
+1 for most casters the RCBS or Lyman are sufficent...if money is a big concern the Lee push through dies work fine, for some boolits they are all I use.

bobthenailer
02-03-2010, 07:51 PM
if only making around 5 thousand or less bullets in a year, id go for the rcbs if makeing over 5,000 a year go with the star/magnma sizer . in the mounth of febuary, i personaly cast around 10,000 bullets and also lube and size them and im done for the year! . my record for 1 febuary years ago was 32,000 bullets. i use 2 stars/magnmas, ive had rcbs, lyman, and saeco lube sizers i now have only the stars for pistol and rifle with excellent results and accuracy

DLCTEX
02-03-2010, 09:22 PM
I have Lee push through dies, a Lyman 45, and an RCBS Lubrisizer II. I prefer the RCBS unless I am tumble lubing, then the Lees are faster.

cbrick
02-03-2010, 10:58 PM
They will all last with reasonable care but the thread is titled "Opinions on best lubrisizer".

The Star, hands down. With the Star it's not just speed, yes it's faster but the straight through sizing with a flat punch on a flat boolit base also sizes boolits more concentrically. I haven't tested this with the Lee push through dies but I suspect with a flat punch the same would hold true with them as well. You cannot lube with the Lee sizer dies though and you would be stuck with tumble or pan lubing.

Rick

George Tucker
02-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I am with Rick on this one, i have RCBS and Lyman, and a Star, The Star in my opinon is the best luber sizer one can use, Its Star for me, George.

Muddy Creek Sam
02-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I just made a deal for my 2nd Star. Both are used and made by Star not Magnum.

Sam :D

mooman76
02-06-2010, 06:31 PM
It really kind of depends on your needs because it's more of what's best for you rather than what is best. I've never used a Star and I'm sure they are great but if your needs are not that large then it's allot of money for little use. Now I use the Lee and the Lyman and like them both. RCBS is basically like the Lyman but for what I understand is built a little better with the linkage so If I was to do it over I'd get the RCBS but I still like the Lee also for the quickness of tumble lube.