PDA

View Full Version : Springfield NRA Sporter/ M22

Char-Gar
06-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Do any of you gents have or have access to a real Springfield NRA Sporter or M22?

I am about the do the final stock shaping on my feaux NRA Sporter and need some measurments. I would like to know the thickness of the stock, at the midpoint at the following places.

1. Just behind the barrel band
2. At the front receiver ring
3. At the rear receiver ring
4. The pistol grip
5. The butt stock just behind the pistol grip

Anybody have access to one of these and a pair of calibers? This would certainly be appreciated...no money..just deep appreciation :-)

NVcurmudgeon
06-08-2006, 11:39 PM
Chargar, I have a for real NRA .30/06 Sporter. It is my understanding that, because of the heavy target barrel on the Sporter, the 1922 stock was used on both the .22 LR and .30/06 Sporters. I can post the dimensions you need tomorrow from my .30/06 Sporter. Cobb Mt. Mac, who is not quite as much a cast boolits site junkie as I am, has a .22 Lr Sporter. If need be, I can phone him and get the dimensions from his .22 LR.

Char-Gar
06-09-2006, 07:44 AM
You are correct that the NRA Sporter and M22 stocks are the same for all practical purposes. I would appreciate the measurments when you get get around to it.

I have plenty of profile photos to get that aspect down, but I can use some help on the thickness of the stock.

My GreatAmerican Gunstocks blank has plenty of wood standing proud over the metal, is thicker/wider than necessary and needs a good sliming in all plains.

NVcurmudgeon
06-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Chargar, here are the stock dimensions as measured with a Starrett 6" dial caliper.

1. 1.58"
2. 1.77"
3. 1.81"
4. 1.52" Girth of pistol grip, measured with a steel tape at rear of trigger guard
assembly, 5.375"
5. 1.52" measured from top of comb, 1.57" measured from bottom of stock
(there may be a jaw reach problem here, jaws length is only 1.5")

As this project goes on do not hesitate to ask for any dimensions you need.