PDA

View Full Version : HP handle?/HP molds

DeadWood
02-02-2010, 02:09 PM
looking at HP mold pictures and noticed some had a wooden handle attached to the HP pin. Assuming you buy this accesory to attach to pin , so caster can pull pin out before opening mold?

I have not yet cast my own, but will have a HP mold coming and was curious how one casts for a HP boolit? What opreations are different from a regular mold?

What is the correct name for this handle?

thanks

BABore
02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Dip the corner of the mold and sprue plate into the pot for 10-15 seconds to preheat it and then wipe it off. Pull the pin and dip it in for 10-15 seconds and wipe it off. Put he pin in the mold and turn to lock it into place under the hold down screw's head. Fill the mold including a healthy sprue. When the sprue solidifies and change color, remove the HP pin first, then cut the sprue and dump the boolit. Repeat many times.

GLL
02-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Most of the HP moulds I have seem to use wooden knobs that came out of a cabinet/drawer pull catalog. I swear Buckshot's house must not have a drawer left that has a pull left on it ! :)

BABore at BRP uses a chunk of oak for the pin handle that is cross-pinned into the holder. I find it gives very good results as the mould comes up to temp and does not twist off the holder !

Everyone seems to have their own HP casting technique. I run my Waage pot at maximum temp and ladle cast at as fast a pace as I can. You must keep the pin very hot ! Once all is running smoothly do not spend any time looking carefully at the bullets. I run for thirty minutes flat out and then take a short break. Casting HPs is not difficult but takes a little practice to get good results. I have found that a little extra tin in the alloy has been helpful to get better fill-out around the pin.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/48F5B23791A6340/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/162EDFC13C9FDCF/standard.jpg

BRP handle on right, NOE handle on left
http://www.fototime.com/9E310FF34ED1ACD/standard.jpg

DeadWood
02-02-2010, 03:30 PM
that answered my questions
thanks

GLL
02-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Deadwood:

I forgot one important caution !

Do not drop pin in molten alloy ! Although the wooden handle acts as a very good flux the results are not very pretty !

Do not ask how I know ! :)

Jerry

Dale53
02-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Jerry;
Those are nice photos and an excellent explanation for those that have to try this.

It DOES take longer to make hollow point bullets in a single cavity mould. However, it is certainly doable and the results (as Jerry shows) can be excellent.

I try to have multi-cavity bullets of the same type as the hollow points for general target and practice use and then the hollow point moulds for REAL service. After you play around and test the hollow points to your satisfaction, you only need enough to confirm sight settings and for hunting or self defense use. That is just a few a year. However, they can be extremely worthwhile.

Dale53