PDA

View Full Version : Yucky Green Stuff

Lotec
02-02-2010, 07:26 AM
I've carry my spare loaded ammo in leather wallets when I go afield. After an extended period, verdigris (copper acetate) forms on the brass. I've treated this as a nuisance and have removed it by polishing it off with a lightly oiled cloth. Since this verdigris is leaching copper from the brass alloy of the case, I was wondering how long and/or how much of this the brass can tolerate before the integrity of the brass becomes compromised. Any thoughts on this?

JIMinPHX
02-02-2010, 07:56 AM
I use nickel plated brass in leather loops. It prevents that sort of thing.

3006guns
02-02-2010, 09:03 AM
I've fired green .38 special that had been in leather loops since the 1950's.....all went bang and the brass looked normal afterwards.

blackthorn
02-02-2010, 10:00 AM
If left long enough the green stuff will eat a hole right through the case.

MT Gianni
02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
There were some problems with police ammo being kept in a dump pouch in the 60's. Verdigris prevented the cartridges from falling out into your hand to be loaded. I make sure no ammo or guns are stored in leather, just carried in it when they need to be. Add knives to thet also.

sagacious
02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
...Since this verdigris is leaching copper from the brass alloy of the case, I was wondering how long and/or how much of this the brass can tolerate before the integrity of the brass becomes compromised. Any thoughts on this?
Since copper has been removed from the brass, the brass integrity has already been compromised. That brass is not as strong as new, uncorroded brass.

The easy solutions to storing your brass in leather are: shoot up that ammo on a regular basis so that it isn't subject to the corrosion from long storage; or use nickeled brass cases for that ammo. You can avoid the problem altogether by storing that ammo in a nylon case.

Nickel cases are not a permanent solution, as in some environments even nickeled brass will eventually suffer the same fate-- it just lasts a while longer. I have seen nickeled 357mag brass (that was stored in leather for a long time) break at the cannelure below the base of the bullet upon firing, causing that part of the case to be dragged into the barrel and lodge in the start of the rifling. One will not notice the case breakage upon firing, and subequent shots may cause damage to the firearm. Quite often, brass that has suffered from even mild corrosion will suffer longitudinal mid-body or case-mouth splits upon firing. Such splits are not generally dangerous, but it shows the extent that the brass was weakened.

When one introduces a variable factor that may cause an unsafe situation, the results are not completely safe and not completely predictable. Best bet is to shoot up that ammo long before it ever turns green.

Good luck and stay safe! :drinks:

BOOM BOOM
02-03-2010, 07:50 PM
HI,
WOW, I thank you for the knife comment .I have never had a problem this way but would not want to see an expensive & good knife runed.

dominicfortune00
02-03-2010, 09:20 PM
See the verdigris on old military leather goods with brass or copper rivets or snaps.