PDA

View Full Version : Moulds and Hot plates

340six
02-01-2010, 05:31 PM
I have loaded all the store bought cast and jacketed bullets I have so now is the time to start casting with the Lyman and RCBS moulds i have been colleting lol
I have a smaller Lyman dipper pot and dipper that came with the 4500 sizer.
I also picked up a GE Single burner hot plate to pre warm the moulds.
But what temp to set it at
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Single-Burner-Hot-Plate/12442587

PepperBuddha
02-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I bought that same Lyman kit. I could not get the six hole Lee mold or the Sharp Shooter buckshot mold hot enough. If I dipped the mold in the pot, the lead hardened. The two hole Lee got hot enough by dipping to cast very nice boolits.
I will go to Target tonight for a hotplate.

Sorry, I can't help you with a temperature.

GSM
02-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Between 3:00 and 6:00 - probably closer to 6:00 for the Lymans.

Might try some thick aluminum foil (or flattened beer can) on the the plate between the mold and the heating element and some other type of cover over the mold.

I generally rotate the mold to the sprue side just before starting.

kelbro
02-02-2010, 11:39 PM
I have that one and it doesn't get hot enough to melt lead. It does keep my molds up to temp though.

RobS
02-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Probably mid/upper setting on the hotplate...........if it is too cold then the sprues will not cut as easily the first few and you know the next time to give it more heat. If you have too much heat then the sprues will take a bit longer to solidify than normal which is not a big deal just open up the mold for a bit before filling the mold again and let a fan blow through it or others have put a wet sponge or rag on the bench they are casting at and when their molds get a bit hot they just set the bottom of the mold on the sponge/rag for a few seconds or so and then continue.

I would rather have it too hot to start than cold though as it just makes it easier to cut the sprues so what if you have to wait to cut them the first time or two and you can always cool the mold easier than trying to heat it up or at least that is my opinion.

13Echo
02-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I folded a piece of galvanized sheet to hold the mould off of direct contact with the hot plate and made a small box of the same to cover the mould while it is heating. This tends to more evenly heat soak the mould and results in good bullets from the first or second cast. I also have a thermometer to put in the box and find the moulds do best if heated to about 450deg F. When casting I'll start the melt, clean the mould and put it in its box. When the melt is ready the mould is evenly heated.

Jerry Liles

arjuna70
02-03-2010, 11:35 PM
I folded a piece of galvanized sheet to hold the mould off of direct contact with the hot plate and made a small box of the same to cover the mould while it is heating. This tends to more evenly heat soak the mould and results in good bullets from the first or second cast. I also have a thermometer to put in the box and find the moulds do best if heated to about 450deg F. When casting I'll start the melt, clean the mould and put it in its box. When the melt is ready the mould is evenly heated.

Jerry Liles

Do you have any pics of this setup?

shooter37
02-04-2010, 01:27 AM
A simple and CHEAP mold oven can be made from a metal electrical wall outlet box.
I cut out a 2" opening in the side and bent it out to act as a rest. A steel 3" hinge is used to make the box cover swing open to place the mold inside with the handles coming thru the opening I cut. I put a #10 wood screw thru the cover with a wood dowel for a handle on the cover. Just put the whole deal on a Walmart hotplate when you light off your melter and by the time the melt is ready the mold is also. I can't post pictures worth a hoot BUT if you go to the Shiloh forum (shooter to shooter) and do a search for "oven" there is a picture posted under mold heating. This has worked great for me and the whole deal cost about $5.00 to build.
Good luck
Al

arjuna70
02-04-2010, 03:33 PM
A simple and CHEAP mold oven can be made from a metal electrical wall outlet box.
I cut out a 2" opening in the side and bent it out to act as a rest. A steel 3" hinge is used to make the box cover swing open to place the mold inside with the handles coming thru the opening I cut. I put a #10 wood screw thru the cover with a wood dowel for a handle on the cover. Just put the whole deal on a Walmart hotplate when you light off your melter and by the time the melt is ready the mold is also. I can't post pictures worth a hoot BUT if you go to the Shiloh forum (shooter to shooter) and do a search for "oven" there is a picture posted under mold heating. This has worked great for me and the whole deal cost about $5.00 to build.
Good luck
Al

I found it, thanks for the info. Here's a link and the picture:

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12001&highlight=oven

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q179/arjuna70/Girls/Glock/BulletMoldOven.jpg

arjuna70
02-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Looking at the pic and the description, obviously this is for a 2 cavity mold. Any ideas for a 4 or 6 cavity mold?

Dale53
02-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I have used a hot plate for mould heating for several years. I consider it almost a MUST.

My hot plate has a solid steel sheet metal burner surface. If mine had a Calrod surface, I would simply lay a piece of sheet metal over the open rods. I do NOT believe it to be a good idea to place a bullet mould on Calrod units without the metal covering.

When I start my RCBS pot, I also start the hotplate with my mould on it (whether iron or aluminum, whether two, four, or six cavity). I set my particular unit just higher than "medium". My intention is to heat it just a bit under casting temperature and bring it to final heat by one or two moulds full of molten metal. That insures I won't overheat my mould.

FWIW
Dale53

GLL
02-04-2010, 06:37 PM
arjuna70:

Nice !

Is that thermometer just laying flat on the surface or is there a pin sticking into the box?

Jerry

shooter37
02-04-2010, 07:12 PM
You really don't need a thermometer in the mold oven.. it's nice but easily damaged.
The mold will be ready if you go to high heat when you start the melt.
I could see doubling (two boxes tied together) to accommodate a gang mould although mine will handle a 4 cavity Saeco 44 cal, pistol boolit mold.
Al

theperfessor
02-04-2010, 07:52 PM
shooter37

Nice job!