PDA

View Full Version : 5.7x28

Bradley
02-01-2010, 12:02 PM
I've been looking at the two FN guns that shoot this cartridge.

The pistol is apparently a straight blowback. The carbine I'm not so sure about. But, according to You Tube, the carbine comes apart very very easily.

So just maybe these two could be used with cast bullets. That's almost certainly true for the pistol. With the rifle it is a bit more iffy.

Anybody tried doing this?

Also I think that the brass has some sort of coating on it and that maybe the brass doesn't cycle well after that coating has worm off after several reloadings. Anyone know the details here?

Willbird
02-01-2010, 12:26 PM
The pistol is a locked breech browning type recoil operated mechanism.

Bill

45 2.1
02-01-2010, 12:40 PM
I've shot both guns. No recoil at all and little reaction when it hits something. The ammo looks normal in terms of the brass case. The ballistics of the cartridge are well within the limits of cast boolits at full velocity. I see no reason, other than getting the proper tools, why this wouldn't work.

JSnover
02-01-2010, 12:45 PM
I have heard the rumour about the coated brass but can't confirm it. Looks pretty normal (the gun is a dream to shoot!).

dragonfirerich
02-01-2010, 04:08 PM
I don't have my Lyman's manual handy, but they do have data for it there. The backround blurb at the start of the entry says it's very sensitive, if I remember rightly.

edit:
Just got to my Lyman's manual. I remembered right. They say it's sensitive. They also recommend only reloading the cases 2 or 3 times, as there is excessive working of the brass during resizing.