PDA

View Full Version : Incredible

cbrick
02-01-2010, 02:55 AM
I was just placing an order at Midway, got to the check out and the total was $141.31 less shipping. Before I placed the order I used their computer to check the shipping charges for a USPS flat rate box.

Midway wants $47.50 to ship $141 worth of merchandise in a $10.00 flat rate box.

I thought I messed up somehow or the computer goofed so I started over. No mistake, Midway wants 1/3 of the cost of the merchandise in shipping and no, there were no hazmat items, just gas checks and a few other odds and ends.

Anyone need to ask if I placed the order? Strong email sent to Midway not that it will matter.

Anyone planning on ordering from Midway is advised to check their shipping charges BEFORE ordering. If you decide to order anyway before you click place order you should first drop your drawers and bend over.

Rick

Recluse
02-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Wow.

There's gotta be a major-league snafu in there somewhere.

I just went to their website and "ordered" an RCBS lubesizer, a Lyman turbo tumbler, some mold handles, shotgun wads, a mold and something else for a purchase total of just under $250.00.

My shipping option prices went from a low of UPS Ground of $14.21 to a high of $120.97 for next-day air. Second-day air was $45.16.

Wonder if there is something in your order that is setting off their computer's shipping calculator?

Regardless, no way in hades would I pay a 30% fee for shipping.

:coffee:

cbrick
02-01-2010, 03:31 AM
I just checked my order history page and on Jan 05, 10 I placed an order that came to $193.45 plus Postage, Handling & Insurance of $12.90 (flat rate box)

On Dec 24, 09 I placed an order that came to $166.50 plus Postage, Handling & Insurance of $11.94 (flat rate box)

Now they want $47.50 shipping? I would probably have gone ahead and placed this order but I forgot to grab my ankles.

Rick

Lunk
02-01-2010, 06:39 AM
I can only imagine you had something either too heavy or long to fit in a normal box. Or what is more likely you have an item that was mis-coded to be larger or heavier than it ought. Remember these computers are only as good at the input they get and moving a decimal can make a huge difference. :killingpc

If you have time to kill try swapping out the items 1 at a time to see if it's connected to 1 specific line item.

jhrosier
02-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Midway used to be the first place that I looked for handloading equipment and supplies.
Their shipping costs have made them my last choice nowadays.
They seem to find the need to break my shipment into many small boxes instead of one large one and charge separately for each one.
I can't see why they won't use USPS flat rate shipping either.

Jack

bruce drake
02-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Postage, Handling & Insurance: $11.58

I just ordered a package of materials last week that weighed around 8 total pounds. Did you order 50 pounds of #2 Lead?

Bruce

oldfart1956
02-01-2010, 08:59 AM
DANG! I shipped a 20lb. frozen container of venison to my Dad up in Alaska (I'm in Penna.) a while back and it only cost me $48!!! Next Day Air!! What happened to shipping prices? Mebbe they're tacking on a fee to support Haiti? Audie..the baffled Oldfart...

gray wolf
02-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Graf & Son--Shipping = Handling+insurance--$6.50--that's it no matter what you order.

MT Gianni
02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Graf & Son--Shipping = Handling+insurance--$6.50--that's it no matter what you order.

+1 for Graf & Son

blackthorn
02-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Maybe they got bought out by United Parcel Service! Thats about what UPS charged me to ship a 4"x6" box with three little books in it to Canada!

AZ-Stew
02-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Did you consider getting on the phone to their customer service to find out what the problem was? Those folks are pretty nice and easy to deal with. Not that I'm defending Midway, as they're not my first choice vendor, but rather than pounding your fist on the table and shooting off an e-nastygram to them, you might consider giving them a chance to explain and rectify the problem. Your order might be on the way now.

Regards,

Stew

gray wolf
02-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Yes I would have called----and then called Graf&Son for the order.
Midway deserved a chance to say why it was so much. Then we would all know.

cbrick
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I can't see why they won't use USPS flat rate shipping either. Jack

They do offer flat rate shipping and that is the option I chose, this was for USPS flat rate box.

Did you order 50 pounds of #2 Lead? Bruce

No, no alloy, not at their prices. If I was going to order alloy I would go to Roto Metals for a much better price and FREE shipping.

Couple of shell holders, a few boxes of gas checks, a dehumidifier for the safe, a scope alignment tool, just a few odds and ends. Nothing big, nothing heavy.

Did you consider getting on the phone to their customer service to find out what the problem was? Those folks are pretty nice and easy to deal with. Not that I'm defending Midway, as they're not my first choice vendor, but rather than pounding your fist on the table and shooting off an e-nastygram to them, you might consider giving them a chance to explain and rectify the problem. Your order might be on the way now. Regards, Stew

Yes, I considered calling them but considering it was Sunday night I decided not to. If they are so easy to deal with and considering it's now 11:30 AM (their time) Monday morning why haven't I gotten an "e-nastygram" from them trying to rectify the problem? I have spent several thousand dollars at Midway in the past few years, ya would think they would care but I haven't heard from them.

Rick

rickster
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
I cant figure out how we can get bananas from South America for 69 cents per pound.

Oh, and I now go to Grafs first. Midway just isnt the same company it used to be.

Frank
02-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Maybe they put a glitch in there to get more revenue from those who don't look. Have you ever paid too little for something? If it's just a computer snafu, then why is it always more?

Recluse
02-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Companies make mistakes. Right after you posted, I went to their site and "placed an order" for a lubesizer and tumbler (two large, heavy items), plus some other things to get total dollar cost up. My flat-rate shipping was only going to be $14/15.

That's why I think there is something in your order that is coded wrong that is causing the shipping to skyrocket. A simple phone call would probably not only clear it up, but have your stuff on the way by the end of the phone call--and with an apology no doubt.

Phone calls are immediate. E-mails come in long lists. Phone calls are interpersonal and take priority.

Give 'em a call and see what the deal is.

cbrick
02-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Ok, got it figured out and Recluse is absolutely right. I should have simply grabbed my ankles and with a smile. I just got off the phone with Midway and they explained that the following order would be shipped in two large flat rate boxes. I asked why, it would fit in one medium box? Midways answer . . . The people in shipping pack an order exactly as the computer tells them to and the computer says that this order needs two large boxes. I asked if the people in shipping use any common sense at all and when an order will fit in one medium box they don't do it? No, they do what the computer says and that is why the shipping charge is $47.50, two large boxes.

Here is the exact order (a cut & paste from the Midway site) that requires two large flat rate boxes.

RCBS Shellholder #40 (475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger) Product #: 157111 Available $7.09

RCBS Shellholder #39 (38 Colt Super) Product #: 179269 Available $7.09

Hornady Gas Checks 284 Caliber, 7mm Box of 1000 Product #: 296317 Available $27.99 $55.98

Wheeler Engineering Scope Ring Alignment Tool 1" Product #: 599514 Available $19.99

RCBS Shellholder #38 (7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum (RSAUM) 300 Remington Ultra Magnum, 455 Webley) Product #: 716664 Available $7.09

GoldenRod GunSaver Dehumidifier 110v Black Product #: 762730 Available $19.99 $39.98

RCBS Shellholder #44 (338 Marlin Express, 500 S&W Magnum) Product #: 817490 Available $7.09

Yep, it must be me alright.

Rick

Lee
02-01-2010, 03:53 PM
They must have learned that trick from the "Greedy One" at :takinWiz:sportsmans guide...........

257 Shooter
02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Rick, I have been in customer service for a long time and know your frustration with the system. I checked the diminisons for a large flat rate box and it is 12x12x5. Your dehumidifiers are 12" long. Midway should have taken the time to explain this to you. I did not check the other dimensions but the Wheeler Scope alignment bars may be too large for a medium box with all the other products packaging you ordered. I shop Midway and have had good experiences with them. I also shop Mid-South and Powder Valley. All the above may explain the 2 large boxes but not your shipping frustration. They should have checked what UPS basic would have cost to ship your order and tried to get you a better rate. You deserved better service but did not get it this time. Maybe my ramblings will help.

yondering
02-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Ok, got it figured out and Recluse is absolutely right. I should have simply grabbed my ankles and with a smile. I just got off the phone with Midway and they explained that the following order would be shipped in two large flat rate boxes. I asked why, it would fit in one medium box? Midways answer . . . The people in shipping pack an order exactly as the computer tells them to and the computer says that this order needs two large boxes. I asked if the people in shipping use any common sense at all and when an order will fit in one medium box they don't do it? No, they do what the computer says and that is why the shipping charge is $47.50, two large boxes.

Here is the exact order (a cut & paste from the Midway site) that requires two large flat rate boxes.

RCBS Shellholder #40 (475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger) Product #: 157111 Available $7.09

RCBS Shellholder #39 (38 Colt Super) Product #: 179269 Available $7.09

Hornady Gas Checks 284 Caliber, 7mm Box of 1000 Product #: 296317 Available $27.99 $55.98

Wheeler Engineering Scope Ring Alignment Tool 1" Product #: 599514 Available $19.99

RCBS Shellholder #38 (7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum (RSAUM) 300 Remington Ultra Magnum, 455 Webley) Product #: 716664 Available $7.09

GoldenRod GunSaver Dehumidifier 110v Black Product #: 762730 Available $19.99 $39.98

RCBS Shellholder #44 (338 Marlin Express, 500 S&W Magnum) Product #: 817490 Available $7.09

Yep, it must be me alright.

Rick

Why didn't you just choose the UPS Basic shipping option? I just entered all the items you listed above to check shipping (yeah I'm bored). Yeah, the flat rate shipping is high, but UPS Basic is $9.58. That's less than just one flat rate box. Why all the fuss?

canyon-ghost
02-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Yondering makes a good point, if you place the order by phone they'll generally tell you the cheapest way to ship. They work 8am to 8pm weekdays and 8am to 4pm weekends. There's someone there to answer the phone.

yondering
02-01-2010, 09:50 PM
You don't need to call them, the website shows ALL the shipping options as you check out, it's up to you to choose the cheapest option.

Ignoring the cheapest option and complaining about the cost of the more expensive options seems pretty silly. Seems a little like bad-mouthing Midway "just because".

cbrick
02-01-2010, 10:08 PM
You don't need to call them, the website shows ALL the shipping options as you check out, it's up to you to choose the cheapest option.

Ignoring the cheapest option and complaining about the cost of the more expensive options seems pretty silly. Seems a little like bad-mouthing Midway "just because".

So using two large flat rate boxes to ship what will fit into one medium box sounds perfectly logical to you huh?

Rick

yondering
02-01-2010, 10:28 PM
So using two large flat rate boxes to ship what will fit into one medium box sounds perfectly logical to you huh?

Rick

No, choosing the cheapest shipping option sounds logical to me. Bashing Midway about their shipping options, without using common sense, seems illogical and unfair. I can understand if you just didn't notice the UPS option in the list, but now you know.

As already pointed out, the stuff you bought won't fit into a medium box anyway. Even if it would fit in one large flat rate box, it would still be more expensive than the UPS Basic option.

cbrick
02-01-2010, 10:40 PM
No, choosing the cheapest shipping option sounds logical to me. Bashing Midway about their shipping options, without using common sense, seems illogical and unfair. I can understand if you just didn't notice the UPS option in the list, but now you know.

As already pointed out, the stuff you bought won't fit into a medium box anyway. Even if it would fit in one large flat rate box, it would still be more expensive than the UPS Basic option.

But you don't know, you haven't a clue. What makes you think UPS is an option? Who said I was looking for the cheapest option and two weeks shipping time? What makes you think it wouldn't fit in a medium box?

You should read the entire thread instead of just the parts that suit you. And no doubt you would grab your ankles with a smile and fork over $47.50 shipping. Or is it just me that should?

Rick

eljefe
02-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Graf's will nail ya on shipping, too, if you are getting dealer pricing from them.
Before I got set up with Berry's as a dealer, I was getting my bullets from Grafs.
With the added shipping cost, it was cheaper for me to buy from Cabela's with their
flat rate shipping.

I still like Graf's, because they have good prices and service. They are really good about not banging you for seperate hazmat fees when purchasing primer and powder together.

Rick, it doesn't sound like you can be satisfied by Midway. You should probably shop elsewhere.

Storydude
02-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Pretty neat trick getting a 12" item, inside a retail box, inside a 12" square package.

The box for my 12" goldenrod measures 13.5" in length.

geargnasher
02-01-2010, 11:23 PM
I just got a Midway order last week for three 10-box packs of FA blue ammo boxes (one .45 Colt and two .357 Mag) and a half pound of shot buffer, total purchase was $47.06, shipping was $12.71 Priority Mail (I don't do UPS anymore, bunch of sorry apathetic union jack-8sses IME) I thought that was high, but when the refrigerator box arrived I understood the cost. I'm somewhat familiar with standard shipping boxes, and this particular order was just super-bulky, no good way to package it without using a big box or an 11" mailing tube.

Conclusion? It ain't a perfect world, and although I agree $47 is outrageous, there IS a reason why, and nobody put a gun to your head to make you press "submit".

Gear

Buckshot
02-02-2010, 03:55 AM
.............USPS Medium flat rate box(s) Two sizes:

13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" OR 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" Either one is $10.70

LARGE flate rate box, one size: 12" x 12" x 6". This is $14.50

I'm certainly aware of the sizes of all the items in the order except for the de-humidifiers. I don't know offhand if those box dimensions are internal or external. As pointed out by a couple others the de-humidifiers will be over 12" and Storydude pointed out having one on hand, it's box is 13.5" long. I don't know what it's width is, but diagonal measurement on a 12" square is about 17" so unless their width is too great for the 6" depth of the box I can't see why one box wouldn't suffice?

Possibly they get one in one box, but no room for the 2nd so the rest of the stuff goes into it and the 2nd de-himidifier goes into the 2nd box?

I placed the order, but for ONE de-humidifier and got these options:

UPS Basic $9.58 Should arrive by 2/9/2010
USPS Parcel Post $13.57 Should arrive by 2/12/2010
UPS Ground $12.54 Should arrive by 2/9/2010
USPS Priority Mail $18.05 Should arrive by 2/8/2010
UPS 2nd Day Air $33.66 Should arrive by 2/4/2010
UPS Next Day Air $66.94 Should arrive by 2/3/2010
UPS Next Day Air Saver $60.35 Should arrive by 2/3/2010
USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate - Large $31.20 Should arrive by 2/8/2010

I then changed the order to reflect TWO de-himidifiers and got these options:

UPS Basic $9.58 Should arrive by 2/9/2010
USPS Parcel Post $13.57 Should arrive by 2/12/2010
UPS Ground $12.54 Should arrive by 2/9/2010
USPS Priority Mail $18.05 Should arrive by 2/8/2010
UPS 2nd Day Air $33.66 Should arrive by 2/4/2010
UPS Next Day Air $66.94 Should arrive by 2/3/2010
UPS Next Day Air Saver $60.35 Should arrive by 2/3/2010
USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate - Large $45.70 Should arrive by 2/8/2010

Two things mystify me. The first is, if you HAVE to have it shipped via USPS, like if it's going to a PO box, why not have it shipped Priority Mail @ $18.05? It shows the same arrival date as the Priority mail Flat Rate Box? While that is still twice the UPS charge, if a PO Box is at issue UPS wouldn't deliver to one in any event so they're a non starter. If there is no PO Box problem, why not have it shipped via UPS at less then 10 bucks? It shows a 1 day longer but is also insured for $50?

I DO agree that their USPS Flat Rate charges are way out of line. The USPS provides the boxes free of charge. All they're out is the filler material and the packers time, which would be cheaper since they're getting the overpack box for free? If they did have to use 2 large FRB's @ $29 total, I'd think another $3-4 for filler and packer's time would be more then sufficient. I will agree that they have some kind of problem with their USPS Flat Rate Box schedual.

However, had it been me and I have no PO Box issues I'd sure as heck picked the UPS shipping @ $9.58.

...........Buckshot

shaune509
02-02-2010, 09:34 PM
my thoughts
to my address i have no problem with UPS or Fed EX, USPS gets others mail[ does mine go to others and i dont get it] ripped mags etc, DHL was pure **** in service.
we all have pro/con on any company[ford/chevy] but shopping around will save you $$, they all very in service and price.
the big companys like midway get large discounts from what we would pay at a walk in counter, but they presort for the carrier. USPS may offer bulk shipping discounts but they are not set up to handle daily truckloads from 1 shipper.
the flat rate box is USPS's attempt to save them from the ax as it gets them the fleybay traffic.
i like midway and yes they are not always the lowest cost but do beat the oem price and when ups shipping is chosen you can track it from home.
any time USPS is used you "have no true tracking" only delivered but to who etc.
USPS is cheaper when shipping small items into canada because the other companys must charge an agents fee to cross and some how USPS gets around this. [free trade is not]

cbrick
02-02-2010, 10:10 PM
This is not a thread on who is the best or who is the cheapest shipper.

UPS is NOT an option, that's why I didn't choose the UPS option. I live in a rear house behind a large automatic gate. If the UPS truck showed up I would never know it. My work day is often 16-18 hours so I am not at home to go out to the street if I knew the UPS truck was there. The people that live in the front house are retired and travel extensively, I often go more than a month without seeing them. The only thing UPS could do is leave the box out on the curb, then when I get home the stolen box wouldn't be there for me to pick up. UPS is not an option.

I chose USPS to be delivered to my PO box just as I have many dozens of times with Midway, just not for $50.00.

Doesn't matter how good or how bad or how cheap or how expensive UPS is.

Rick

Recluse
02-03-2010, 01:02 AM
UPS is NOT an option, that's why I didn't choose the UPS option. I live in a rear house behind a large automatic gate. If the UPS truck showed up I would never know it.

Rick

Rick, here's an idea/possible solution that has worked for me.

I'll often order parts or equipment for our airplane and prefer to have them shipped to my hangar. However, I'm not always there. UPS allows me to have the package dropped off at a UPS Store near the airport. They leave a note for me informing me the package has been delivered.

I go to the UPS Store, where I keep a PO Box specifically so I can be a regular customer, and pick up my package. It's secure, plus it adds one more link to the tracking chain whenever I've needed to actually track a package.

Down here, the UPS Store used to be called Mailboxes Etc--but UPS bought them out.

I have the same arrangement at the house--we have a UPS Store literally five minutes away. Gun stuff or other shipments I don't want left on the porch gets re-routed to the UPS Store. I get a note telling me it's there; I go pick it up.

Might be worth checking out as it could possibly open up additional shipping options for you that would also be secure.

cbrick
02-03-2010, 01:41 AM
Hhmmm . . . I confess, I never thought of that. We do have one of those Mailboxes Etc/UPS stores here in town. I will keep that in mind for the next time.

How much does that Mailboxes Etc/UPS box cost you? I checked with them once and it was $80.00 per month, not an option, but I do sometimes ship from there even though they accept nothing firearm or ammo, that has to go 40 minutes into town to the main UPS place. My USPS box is $80.00 per year (just went up).

Rick

Recluse
02-03-2010, 01:58 AM
Rick,

In town, the box runs me around $125 a year--but I have a medium size box that can hold a bit more stuff.

The box at the store near the airport is far more rural and costs me less than $55/year.

Important thing to note: UPS Stores are franchised, so prices and "rules" can vary. They are NOT USPS postal boxes, but rather "private street addresses." This means a variety of things including when you close the box, mail will not get forwarded or return-to-sender, etc. Be sure and check out ALL the agreements, rules, etc before you sign or commit so that there are no ugly or unpleasant surprises.

In other words, I would not ditch my USPS box if I were you.

However, if you do a significant amount of mail-order/on-line ordering and purchasing, and your delivery options are limited to solely USPS, you might do a break down on how much you pay for shipping via USPS compared to what best-rates from UPS, Fed-Ex or any ground freight service would run. Add in the cost of the (UPS Store) box and then get your average cost.

It might or might not save you money. But, probably worth exploring.

buck1
02-03-2010, 10:09 AM
I used Midway for a long time but they are not what they used to be. 800 pound gorillas make poor businesses. I like midsouth better. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/.