PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Ahead.....

Captain*Kirk
01-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Well, based on all I've read here, and the questions you've all so graciously answered, I've decided to make the plunge soon and start casting for metallic cartridge. I'll be picking up equipment over the next couple of months and want to run some ideas past the gurus, if I may:
My plan is to do the Lee sizer die/Alox tumble lube for .44 Magnum, .429 die, six cavity Lee mould using the TL430-240 SWC bullet (should work best with tumble lube, right?)
I plan to replace my tiny Lee Precision Melter with the Production Pot IV 20 lb. capacity pot.
For rifle bullets, I plan to purchase the RCBS Lube-A-Matic 2 sizer. Jury is still out on the Lyman heater.
For rifle bullets, which is preferred; the Lyman 204gr. 358315 bullet, or the RCBS 200gr 35-200 FN bullet? I'm assuming both these will be gas check bullets, given the close-to 2000fps velocities I intend to launch these at? I'm steering towards the RCBS, unless you know something I don't...?
Same with the .45-70 Gov't. I plan on launching these behind smokeless @ 1330fps ranges...There are a slew of choices for this cartridge. My plan was to go with the 405gr. RCBS or Lyman unless, again, you know something I don't. I realize most of you use BP loads and probably different rifles. These will be launched from a modern High Wall, probably, again using the RCBS. Do cast bullets at these velocities need gas checks? Why or why not?
My current load for this rifle is 40.6gr H4895 behind Remington 405gr FN jacketed bullets for approximate MV of 1331fps.
Last, but not least....I've been loading 90 grain FMJ roundball bullets for my .380......none of the manufacturers show anything in this threatre; in fact, the closest I come are the 90gr RN .356 bullets offered by Lyman and RCBS. Lee has nothing under 102gr, which is a bit on the heavy side for a compact .380 ACP (Colt Gov't).....anyone have a recommendation for this one? I'd like to tumble/Alox the handgun loads, but since I'm already going to spring for the RCBS sizer, I guess it doesn't matter?
Anyway, your recommendations will be appreciated. Otherwise, I've got a coin in my pocket I can flip.....:holysheep

mpmarty
01-31-2010, 12:25 AM
I'd hold off on the lubrisizer. All my boolits work fine with LLA and a sprinkle of moly to cure the stickies. I've got a Lyman and a Star and both sit unused.

Tazman1602
01-31-2010, 12:37 AM
Hey Cap,

You can't go wrong with the RCBS 405 grain GC and 31 grains H4198. It launches at around 1290 out of my Marlin GG and is a nailer. I also use the Lee 405 grain PB but haven't "played" with it as much as with the RCBS.

On the Lube-sizer, I have both Lyman 450 and New Lubri-Sizer and the Lubri-Sizer (RCBS) is a MUCH stouter unit. You will like that and DO buy the heater (the aluminum plate type Lyman). Will make use of hard lubes for you -- I'm not against Liquid Alox but just don't like the mess although some of those TL bullets I've had shot great with it. Haven't used them in a while since I went to hard lubes. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Last but not least, hold on to your wallet hanging around this bunch, it's an addiction but it sure beat the bar and it sure is fun!!

Art

Buckshot
01-31-2010, 01:53 AM
.............The RCBS 45-405 IS a great slug, but at the velocities you mention there is no need for the GC so the Lyman 405gr FNPB would be a good choice. I fthe GC is no problem then by all means get the RCBS.

...........Buckshot

fredj338
01-31-2010, 01:57 AM
I'd hold off on the lubrisizer. All my boolits work fine with LLA and a sprinkle of moly to cure the stickies. I've got a Lyman and a Star and both sit unused.

To each his own, but I would not cast if I didnt' lube/size on my Star.
CK, I don;t know why you would want to buy a luber sizer (I would go RCBS if not a Magam/Star), htne tumble lube & Lee size one bullet? Just use the tumble lube bullets (not my choice BTW for 44mag) & run them through the sizer.
The RCBS 90gr/356 is a good 380 bullet. I used to shoot a lot of them.

jlchucker
01-31-2010, 01:10 PM
The RCBS 405 gr gascheck mold is a good one--but as buckshot said, you don't really need a gascheck at the velocities that you are planning to go for. I have found that the plain-base bullet from a Lee mold works very well, as Tazman has indicated. As for Lyman molds for the 45-70, they are as good as you can expect from a manufacturer that has been making them for over a hundred years. As for your question about those 35 caliber molds, I've had both, and used bullets from each out of my Marlins with good results. If I were choosing just one though, I'd get the RCBS 200 grainer for my own 35 Remington applications-but that's because I use leverguns. That having been said though, I've fired hundreds of those Lyman round-nose bullets through my leverguns with no problem whatsoever.

Bass Ackward
01-31-2010, 02:05 PM
1. My plan is to do the Lee sizer die/Alox tumble lube for .44 Magnum, .429 die, six cavity Lee mould using the TL430-240 SWC bullet (should work best with tumble lube, right?)
2. I plan to replace my tiny Lee Precision Melter with the Production Pot IV 20 lb. capacity pot.
For rifle bullets, I plan to purchase the RCBS Lube-A-Matic 2 sizer. Jury is still out on the Lyman heater.
3. For rifle bullets, which is preferred; the Lyman 204gr. 358315 bullet, or the RCBS 200gr 35-200 FN bullet?
4. Same with the .45-70 Gov't. My current load for this rifle is 40.6gr H4895 behind Remington 405gr FN jacketed bullets for approximate MV of 1331fps.
5. Last, but not least....I've been loading 90 grain FMJ roundball bullets for my .380......none of the manufacturers show anything in this threatre.

1. You already got a sizer. Just follow the zazinta rule. If it zazinta the back, it will come out the front. Save the sizer for now.

2. Excellent logic. But offer mpmarty $50 for the Star and see if he bites.

3. God shoots the RCBS 200FN. Good enough recommendation for me.

4. Don't think small. Crank that up to about 56 grains and hang on.

5. I would go with the calibers that will save me the most money first. That 380 can wait compared to ammo and bullet prices for the other stuff if you are really into saving.

thx997303
01-31-2010, 03:01 PM
Far as small pistol rounds, .380 is currently a bit expensive and also hard to find.

Captain*Kirk
01-31-2010, 05:06 PM
To each his own, but I would not cast if I didnt' lube/size on my Star.
CK, I don;t know why you would want to buy a luber sizer (I would go RCBS if not a Magam/Star), htne tumble lube & Lee size one bullet? Just use the tumble lube bullets (not my choice BTW for 44mag) & run them through the sizer.
The RCBS 90gr/356 is a good 380 bullet. I used to shoot a lot of them.

Well, the main reason I chose that boolit is it was designed for Alox tumble lube. I actually prefer a more traditional roundnose boolit. If you have suggestions, point me in the right direction?
Thought I could "ease into" the sizing thingie with a 15-dollar Lee sizer before plunking down the big chunk on the RCBS.

Captain*Kirk
01-31-2010, 05:09 PM
.............The RCBS 45-405 IS a great slug, but at the velocities you mention there is no need for the GC so the Lyman 405gr FNPB would be a good choice. I fthe GC is no problem then by all means get the RCBS.

...........Buckshot

Well, there's no set rule that says I HAVE to stick with that load. That's the one that shoots most accurate out of my High Wall NOW. I may well venture into gas check territory while experimenting. BTW, is it OK to use a gas check boolit without the GC at lower velocities? If so, the RCBS gives the better latitude of the two....

Captain*Kirk
01-31-2010, 05:11 PM

I would call that line of reasoning logical.....but the vote for/against Lee and Alox seems to be about even, so I guess it's up to me to decide if it works for me, or not?

Captain*Kirk
01-31-2010, 05:14 PM
1. You already got a sizer. Just follow the zazinta rule. If it zazinta the back, it will come out the front. Save the sizer for now.
I don't have ANY sizer just yet....

2. Excellent logic. But offer mpmarty $50 for the Star and see if he bites.
Don't Star dies not fit Lyman/RCBS, and vice versa?

3. God shoots the RCBS 200FN. Good enough recommendation for me.
Far be it for me to argue with The Big Boss...

4. Don't think small. Crank that up to about 56 grains and hang on.
Not that I haven't thought about this.....

5. I would go with the calibers that will save me the most money first. That 380 can wait compared to ammo and bullet prices for the other stuff if you are really into saving.
True statement, there...

MtGun44
01-31-2010, 08:16 PM
NO, Star dies do not fit Lyman/RCBS lubrisizers.

I use the RCBS 405 GC at 1750 fps from my GG. Very accurate. Use 57 gr W748,
magnum primer. Mild pressures, 'workable' recoil for me, but I do have other loads
with 300 gr for plinking.

I avoid using lubes that require a heater. Just another thing to prevent me from doing
a few rounds when I want without planning and getting every thing set up. I tend to
think that the softer lubes work better, anyway.

Bill

Blacksmith
01-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Captain*Kirk
Check the Active Group Buys section I think there is an open group buy on a mold for the .45-70.

Blacksmith

jdgabbard
01-31-2010, 11:08 PM
For the 380 I would go with the Lyman 358242/356242 in 95g. It's quite pleasant to shoot in my bersa, and is quite accurate too.

Like said, 380 brass is hard to come by ATM, but I load for 380 and once you have the brass it pays for itself in a very short time. Provided you get your brass back...

Captain*Kirk
02-01-2010, 12:54 AM
For the 380 I would go with the Lyman 358242/356242 in 95g. It's quite pleasant to shoot in my bersa, and is quite accurate too.

Like said, 380 brass is hard to come by ATM, but I load for 380 and once you have the brass it pays for itself in a very short time. Provided you get your brass back...

I have a couple hundred empties I keep shooting/loading. The only problem is, every time I shoot a box, I lose a few.:holysheep

Recluse
02-01-2010, 02:48 AM
CK,

Buy the boolit/boolit mold you really want and still lube it with LLA. First ever boolits I cast got lubed with LLA and they worked fine--still do. I have several traditional groove boolits that I lube with my LLA/JPW/MS mix. They shoot so dang well I see zero, zilcho, de-nada reason to change it.

My .38 Special wadcutters still shoot better when I tumble-lube them than they do with traditional lube. And yep, they have the traditional lube grooves.

I buy molds based upon the boolit design I want--after that, I have several different ways of getting lube on them.

Secondly, there is another added benefit to push-through sizers, especially for rifle boolits. I use them to seat the gas checks and do initial sizing. Since they go nose-first, I don't get marred up or scarred boolit noses when I put them in the lubesizer for lube application.

Now, as far as that .380 goes, I like the little Lee 102RN boolit real well. There are a number of very comfortable loads for it, you can cast a huge number of them with just a little lead, and they feed well in just about any .380 (or 9mm) you prefer to load and shoot for.

:coffee: