PDA

View Full Version : New to Site

Iron_Marshal
01-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Hello folks,

I'm a member at Leverguns and had some technical questions because I bought a pistol to make a "pair."

I am looking to cast my own bullets. Seemed like a logical step to join up here.

I want to make one or two rounds (plinking and hunting/personal protection) that are compatible in both rifle and revolver.

I own a Marlin 1894SS in .44 mag and Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag.

Are there existing posts that I can research to avoid bothering you with sophomoric questions?

OT- before I buy a campstove to melt the wheel weights I've bought, do you like white fuel or propane? Should I spend the money on ingot molds or just use muffin tins?

I have not bought a mold yet and would like suggestions on your favorites.

If I understand, (lots of luck) 240-250 gr bullets are the bread and butter of matched weapons in .44 mag. I know the revolver will handle larger (300 gr) loads, but, for now at least, I am looking for compatibility between the two weapons.

Have I bored ya'll yet?

Blacksmith
01-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Iron Marshal

Welcome aboard.

Most newbee questions are on some of the "Stickys" you see at the top of each of the boards. Another source is to do a search, there are links to click under the first bar at the top of the page. A great way to get started is to do a little sample reading on each of the many different boards on this site as you will find information on questions you might never think to ask as well as molds and other things for sale, Group Buys and Swappin & Selling.

To get started look up Slugging your bore because one of the first questions you will get back is what size your bore sluggs and look up Smelting before you heat your first pot for safety issues and to be sure you don't accidently contaminate your melt with zinc wheel weights and ruin it for casting.

This forum is usually very tolerant of newbee questions and you shouldn't get flamed even if it was answered many times before. But you really started off right with your first post so you will fit right in.

Blacksmith

beagle
01-29-2010, 11:03 PM
No, you haven't bored us yet. Welcome to the site. Look under the Leverguns category and you'll soon find the answers you're looking for i'm sure and many kinred spirits.

Muffin tins till do fine as ingot moulds.

You may want to look at a Lee pot for melting but you can get started with a campstove. I prefer white gas over propane when I was using a camp stove but that may be a matter of preference.

I match up my .44s too. I'm shooting a M94 Win Legacy and a Super Blackhawk and Lyman's 429421 does well in both in a load using WC820 milsurp powder so I haven't messed with it.

Any gun/rifle combo will have it's own likes and dislikes. That's what makes casting fun.....the search./beagle

nicholst55
01-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Welcome aboard, Iron Marshal! You'll find tons of useful information here. If you can't find what you're looking for with a search, don't hesitate to ask!

Richard B
01-30-2010, 07:15 AM
Welcome

I am a new member as well and the first thing that I found that there were a lot more things to consider for loading cast bullets than I had originally thought. I have found the previous posts and stickies to be very useful.

Richard

Taylor
01-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Welcome my friend,this is a good place.Good people,and they are always willing to help,I know that because I still have all of my fingers.This site has been a godsend for me personally.BTW- SE Ky is my home.
P.S. hunting men can be down right scary,especially if you are not sure if you really want to find them and they are hunting you back!

Cherokee
01-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Welcome to the forum. Lyman 429421 is a really good bullet, a standard, but other good ones are out there. Do some reading and we'll be glad to help.

Phat Man Mike
02-01-2010, 12:31 PM
:bigsmyl2: :cbpour: welcome Iron Marshal... I'm cheap and use charcoal to make my ingots first! and used a muffin tin to start!!! that way I've got more money for primers and powder! [smilie=l:

gray wolf
02-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Howdy and welcome,
Ask all you want=get all the answers you want.
I would say bore size between the two is inportant and a balance of aceptable accuracy.