PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming Prevents Shooting

SharpsShooter
01-29-2010, 07:17 PM
[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

I like winter. Snow is nice for a while, but we still have snow from the storm before Christmas. I have had this purtyful new toy for almost three weeks and have the bug to try it out but the snow is still 2 feet deep at the range. :-(

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/SharpsShooter_photos/PurtyLowWall-1.jpg

SS

JSnover
01-29-2010, 07:23 PM
All of our smow is gone after a couple of good rain storms but it sure got cold this week. No range time for me either.

clodhopper
01-29-2010, 07:26 PM
45-70 will penetrate 2 feet of snow.

Doc Highwall
01-29-2010, 07:30 PM
SharpsShooter, nice looking rifle. Who made it and what caliber I like the double set triggers, I wish Browning and Winchester put them on the new 1885's.

SharpsShooter
01-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Doc it is a Uberti in 45 LC, 30" barrel, pistol grip & double set triggers. The bore is as good as I have seen. I added the Marbles tang, replaced the front with Lyman17a and filled the rear dovetail with a blank

SS

1Shirt
01-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Sharpshooter, Couldn't agree more with you! Have a new 375H&H that just crys out to be shot. Same snow on the ground since well befor Christmas, blowing winds, temps way below freezing, and often below zero over nights, a couple of days of freezing rain in the middle of it, do-da, do-da, etc. etc,etc. Thank you Al Gore for our ability to get to the range and be able to shoot, maybe late March. I will shoot below freezing, but there has to be no or very little wind. That is about as rare in Nebraska as a second vergin birth!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Doc Highwall
01-29-2010, 09:43 PM
SharpsShooter, I have looked at the Uberti's on the Buffalo Arms site and I was thinking of getting one in 22LR or another small cartridge.

rob45
01-29-2010, 09:44 PM
I would take advantage of all the snow and find a deep snow bank.
Fire a few rounds into it and recover them.:holysheep

Probably the best medium there is to keep the bullet fully intact after firing. It's amazing how much info you can glean from a recovered bullet that is not deformed. Really could provide a lot of insight into what actually happens during the trip through the bore under pressure.

Naturally, I can't give any pointers on the best way to recover the bullet, although a metal detector would probably do it.

Just a thought to turn a "blue" situation into opportunity.

DLCTEX
01-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Now that's purty.

NickSS
01-30-2010, 04:11 AM
Yep snow stops bullets without deforming them. I shot several hundred 303 british rounds into snow one time and in the spring I picked them up off the ground in perfect condition. In fact being poor at the time I reloaded them and shot them a second time, worked perfectly. That is a pretty rifle. I have been thinking about one or those but in 30-40 Krag.

Multigunner
01-30-2010, 05:10 AM
Doc it is a Uberti in 45 LC, 30" barrel, pistol grip & double set triggers. The bore is as good as I have seen. I added the Marbles tang, replaced the front with Lyman17a and filled the rear dovetail with a blank

SS

What bore size do they use for the .45 Long Colt rifles?

SharpsShooter
01-30-2010, 11:55 AM
SharpsShooter, I have looked at the Uberti's on the Buffalo Arms site and I was thinking of getting one in 22LR or another small cartridge.

Doc,

The wood is nicely figured, but not what I call fancy. The fit is very good, triggers crisp...a good rifle that won't bankrupt you, even with aftermarket sights.

What bore size do they use for the .45 Long Colt rifles?

I haven't slugged it proper yet, but a 260gr Keith sized to .453 will not fit in the muzzle. I'll have to get a measurement next time I am in the shop, but suspect it is .452 or a tad less even. I plan to shoot it with Black Powder and cast only, so it ought to be a hoot.

SS

Boz330
01-30-2010, 12:17 PM
You guys and your fancy single shot rifles are killing me. The economy sucks and I thought that I had everything I needed and now I need something else.:roll:
That is some kinda purdy though.

Bob

Geraldo
01-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Nice rifle.

BTW, I offer a service for all you guys up in the frozen north. Just send your firearms to me and I will get them out to the range pronto. I will send photos of groups as well as load data for sea level with high humidity. The cost for this service is minimal, and you will have the assurance that your guns aren't going stale in a safe. :drinks:

Rocky Raab
01-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Back when my nearest range was open all year (they close it now from Dec 1 until April 1) you could find piles of lead bullets lying were they'd stopped in the snow. I got out there firstest after a thaw once and picked up nearly ten pounds of pristine lead bullets, just lying on the ground 15 feet or so past the 25-yard line. All .45 ACP, and so little marked that I'm sure they could have been re-seated and shot again as is.

Buckshot
01-31-2010, 01:17 AM
http://www.fototime.com/A75FAC00C7D6686/standard.jpg

I got one in 38-55 in Nov 2007. A gorgeous rifle with an abysmal barrel. I figured, 'Naturally it happens to me', but come to find out the Uberti's have a very spotty reputaion as to the quality of their barrels. I had bought mine on the strength of how well a friend's Uberti 38-55 shot.

I certainly hope that your's is a shooter from the git-go and that you have no problems. The distributor for mine was Cimmaron, and I will add they did not hesitate in trying to make it right. However it did take about a year and shipping it to 2 places (on my dime) to get it fixed. I wouldn't buy a new Uberti on a bet now, and only a used one if I could see it shoot first.

.............Buckshot

Wayne Smith
01-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Rick, Uberti is now using Petersoli barrels on their single shots. You'd be better off with a new one than an old one.

SharpsShooter
01-31-2010, 12:45 PM
http://www.fototime.com/A75FAC00C7D6686/standard.jpg

I got one in 38-55 in Nov 2007. A gorgeous rifle with an abysmal barrel. I figured, 'Naturally it happens to me', but come to find out the Uberti's have a very spotty reputaion as to the quality of their barrels. I had bought mine on the strength of how well a friend's Uberti 38-55 shot.

I certainly hope that your's is a shooter from the git-go and that you have no problems. The distributor for mine was Cimmaron, and I will add they did not hesitate in trying to make it right. However it did take about a year and shipping it to 2 places (on my dime) to get it fixed. I wouldn't buy a new Uberti on a bet now, and only a used one if I could see it shoot first.

.............Buckshot
Rick,

I remember reading your trials and tribulations with the 38-55. Yours is a high wall isn't it? Cimmaron still fouls up occasionally. I ordered pistol grip double set trigger option and they shipped a straight grip single trigger rifle in a box that was labeled "pistol grip / double set" Musta been packaged on a friday right before quitting time huh? BTW the barrel on it was excellent as well.

Rick, Uberti is now using Petersoli barrels on their single shots. You'd be better off with a new one than an old one.

Agreed! The barrel on mine is too pretty not to shoot well.

SS