PDA

View Full Version : A question on Ba Bore's 22 cal 47 gr Bullet

ihmsakiwi
01-29-2010, 01:47 AM
I am looking to buy a .22 mold for my Drulov Hornet pistol with 12" barrell.
i was wondering if anyone has good experience with .22 in 1 in 16" twist 12" barrells.
I have read everthing I can find on pistols and Hornets and twist rates and it seems the 50gr or less is probably the way to go. This is primarily for IHMSA Field Pistol use out to 100 metres / yards. Don't need hyper-velocity just good knock down momemntum at 100 yds.
Any reports on BaBores (BRP Products) 47 grainer which I think looks good? Peter

runfiverun
01-29-2010, 01:53 AM
for the slower twist i would definately think the shorter boolit would be the way to go.
I am gonna have to look into ba's mold now.

ihmsakiwi
02-01-2010, 04:12 AM
I am looking to buy a .22 mold for my Drulov Hornet pistol with 12" barrell.
i was wondering if anyone has good experience with .22 in 1 in 16" twist 12" barrells.
I have read everthing I can find on pistols and Hornets and twist rates and it seems the 50gr or less is probably the way to go. This is primarily for IHMSA Field Pistol use out to 100 metres / yards. Don't need hyper-velocity just good knock down momemntum at 100 yds.
Any reports on BaBores (BRP Products) 47 grainer which I think looks good? Peter

Hi,
My question probably was way to specific.........let me ask if anyone shoots this boolit at all, in any firearm, short or long? I really just want some positive feedback before going with this mold. Or is there another light .22 boolit I should be considering? Peter

BCall
02-01-2010, 09:33 AM
I have it. The mold is very nice and drops very consistent boolits. What I have been able to shoot of them has done well, but it has not been warm enough to give it a full workout yet. I believe it will be one of the better ones I have. I had him cut one cavity plain base as well. Loaded over a bit of Unique, it has shot as well as my .22 out to 25 yds. I like it. Billy

iron mule
02-01-2010, 11:15 PM
i have one i a 4 cav had them all cut for plain base // i use it in a contender 10 inch barrel and the worst groups i can make it shoot at 25 yrds are about 1 1/2 inches i try and keep them around 1,400 fps or a little less ///// the mould is excellent i could not have asked for a better product all boolits are very consistent with each other diameter and weight , bullets fall out with little or no help// hope this will give you some useful info // also not sure of the twist rate but it is one of the old octagon barrels
mule

BABore
02-02-2010, 11:35 AM
I'll warn you ahead of time that I'm biased, since I made it. I'm shooting it out of a Browning Micro Hunter 22 Hornet. It has a 1 in 16 twist and the older 0.223 groove. All Brownings still use the old groove size as I called the factory on it. With jacketed, this gun will consistently do sub 5/8" for 5-shots at 100 yards.

I shoot the GC boolit at full jacketed Lil Gun velocites with inch to sub-inch 100 yard accuracy for 5 shots. I was just getting my ducks all lined up when cold weather hit and affected my current load/lube combination. One of my last 10 shot groups was 1.25" in the fog. With the PB version I started with low end Unique loads that barely cracked 1,200 fps. 10 bhn boolits with a thinned coat of Lee mule snot and motor mica dusting were shooting just over 3/4" at 50 yards. The faster I pushed things, the better they got. When I hit around 1,800 fps (book), I had to switch to water dropped boolit to hold the accuracy. When things warm up, I have half a mind to launch some water dropped PB boolits at full jacketed velocities to see what happens. The more I pushed it, the better thing were getting. I was only looking for a squirrel load with the PB boolits, thus the 50 yard groups.

All boolits were cast from 50/50 WW-Pb which is 10 bhn air cooled and 22 bhn water dropped with my WW's. Boolits were sized to as big as the case neck clearance would allow. New WW cases were fire formed, then neck sized only. I used a Lee universal flaring die so boolits would seat without shaving. All cases were primed with CCI 500 small pistol primers. The boolits were seated out to very lightly engrave and were crimped in place with a Lee factory crimp die. For fast loads, I used LBT blue soft. This lube was outstanding in 50+ F temps, but fell apart when temps dipped below that. Simply too much of a good thing and quite common with LBT. I chose Lil Gun because it gives the highest velocity at the lowest pressure. Charges for all jacketed bullets, between 35 and 55 grains, ar 12.0 grs to start and 13.0 grs max. I had to really finess things to get 12.9 grs into the case. Since excessive pressure on the boolit's base is a good recipe for failure, I reasoned that Lil Gun would be the best choice. I will still play more with Unique, 2400, and 296 as time allows. 2400 may be just the ticket to get my PB boolit up above 2 grand.