PDA

View Full Version : Buy a rifle, get free WW's

Greg in Malad
01-29-2010, 12:41 AM
How cool is this! I bought a Chuck Daly mauser today that weighed about 12lbs. When I removed the stock I found 3lbs of tape on WW's. I think everything should come with WW's. Buy a toaster- get 3lbs WW's. buy a pair of jeans- get 3lbs of WW's. sounds good to me!

cast14U
01-29-2010, 01:32 AM
That's kinda strange it would be taped there. Most off hand shooters tape it to the front of the barrel as a counter weight! But your right, everything should come with WW's. We need to make it a law and part of the Constitution! [smilie=l:

runfiverun
01-29-2010, 01:54 AM
that wasn't in 7 mauser by chance was it?
if so i have the load it likes in my note book.

Greg in Malad
01-29-2010, 01:10 PM
It's a 308, The weights were in the forend and butstock.

Slow Elk 45/70
01-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Recoil reduction....I've seen lead used in the stock of rifles for this purpose, ok if you don't mind weight....

RayinNH
01-29-2010, 07:43 PM
When I was a kid, if you bought something you got Green Stamps. I like the lead idea better...Ray

WHITETAIL
01-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Greg, I'm with you.
Buy a gun get lead!:cbpour:

qajaq59
01-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Green stamps? Ray you have to be about my age. ha ha I haven't heard about those in years.

mroliver77
01-30-2010, 09:50 AM
My Mom died last July and my sister and I bought the rest of the siblings out on her personal possessions. There were a couple books of S&H stamps and books of a yellow stamp also. I forget the name of them. I do remember her telling us to not forget the stamps if we went to the store for her. also some gas rationing stamps from WW2. Amazing what those depression era people kept.
Jay

Greg in Malad
01-30-2010, 11:55 AM
mroliver,
I know what you mean, dad won't throw anything away. He will tear apart a wore out, broke down engine, and keep all the wore out, broke parts. "You might need those one day" is what he says.

part_timer
01-30-2010, 12:12 PM
The wife's grandmother gave her some sugar and gas ration stamps ( grandma thinks they were sugar and gas) a couple of years ago to put in a frame on the wall. It made for a good time. Grandma had to explain to the grandkids what the stamps were, heck my kids don't remember having to boil hotdogs.

340six
01-30-2010, 12:21 PM
When I was a kid, if you bought something you got Green Stamps. I like the lead idea better...Ray

We had a "Top Value Stamp" store right close to me when I was growing up,parking lot was always full.
Also dad used to get a glass/thumbler ect at the gas station and the windows cleaned and of course fulids checked:coffee:

qajaq59
01-30-2010, 12:24 PM
"You might need those one day" Yes, and they never threw away anything that had a bolt, nut or screw still in it. Those went into jars that had the lids nailed into the cellar rafters.
And from the look of things we may have to take up their old habits yet?

mdi
01-30-2010, 12:35 PM
In So. CA we had "Blue Chip" stamps as well as Green Stamps. I also got gas coupons; for each gal of gas we bought (@ $.24 per gal.) we got 1 cent value coupons for gas/oil purchases.

RayinNH
01-30-2010, 01:59 PM
:hijack:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trading_stamp

When I cleaned out dad's stuff I threw all kinds of worthless things away. You just never know when you'll need a piece of chain with four links, bent and rusted nails, screws with so much paint on them you can't tell if there phillips or slotted. Of course there is the usual electrical fixtures that look like ol' Thomas Edison had a part in their manufacture.

I suppose when I go my kids will say "what did he keep this stuff for"...Ray

TCLouis
01-30-2010, 04:05 PM
mroliver77
The yellow stamps are likely "Gold Bond" stamps

ghh3rd
01-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Don't forget about the Raleigh cigarette pack coupons...

qajaq59
01-30-2010, 07:26 PM
And we all sold the seed packs that were advertised in the back of the comic books for the prizes. All you needed to do was sell 5 zillion packs and you could get a jack knife. lol
Boy, talk about memories?

RayinNH
01-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Jackknife, x-ray specs, man :smile:...Ray

John Guedry
01-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Cereal boxtops for a secret decoder ring/magnifying glass/whistle.

qajaq59
01-31-2010, 06:53 AM
It's nice to know I'm not the only OLD dude in this bunch. lol

Maineboy
01-31-2010, 09:21 AM
mroliver77
The yellow stamps are likely "Gold Bond" stamps

I remember "Plaid Stamps" as well, and that was what I was thinking they could be as I believe they were primarily yellow. Green Stamps were mom's favorite and she would shop primarily where they were dispensed and trade off any she collected when she couldn't avoid shopping in a store that gave out a different variety. She was pretty upset when they stopped giving stamps out and the redemption store closed.

ubetcha
01-31-2010, 09:35 AM
Man O Man you guys are bringing back memories.I haven't thought of that stuff in years.It's something that thing that were just everyday normal happenings when we were kids can have a speical meaning nowdays.Think about the everyday things our parents did and how we think that is strange today

qajaq59
01-31-2010, 10:48 AM
My brother and I were talking about our first grade classes the other day. We remembered that every pair of Hi-cuts came with a sheath and a jack knife sewed to them. At recess we all were on the grass playing with our knives, or whittling a stick. Now a kid can't even take a picture of a knife to school.

Bob Krack
01-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Ray,
If you remember ---- green stamps had a much better taste than stick-on weights! :rolleyes:

Bob

Bad Water Bill
01-31-2010, 02:54 PM
Ny MOM passed away 2 years ago, The house goes on sale tomorrow. How many baby food jars of nuts bolts ? never used promotion drinking grasses etc could one husband and wife save? OOPS do not look in my house as they trained me .:bigsmyl2:

Boy this post has sure drifted. Gotta love memory lane.

Treetop
01-31-2010, 06:40 PM
What a great thread! I'm 62 and I can identify with something in every post!

Lee
01-31-2010, 07:10 PM
RayinNH; Never got the x-ray glasses. Did they work;)
qajaq59; "No, you're not" (sadly misquoted from MIB"
Found stashes of Green Stamps books when I went thru my parents belongings.
Threads like these need moved to a "At your Own Risk" section. I'm also one of the old farts, and it makes my heart ache to relive these memories. I was a kid. Life seemed much simpler then. And I can never go back............

qajaq59
01-31-2010, 07:59 PM
I find it amazing that the tiny things like Green Stamps and jars of nuts and bolts can jog such "Great Memories". Nobody had much money, but boy we sure did have fun!

RayinNH
01-31-2010, 08:02 PM
Lee, never got the glasses, but I sure do remember them on the back of comic books. Never sold the seeds or greeting cards either. Comic books or a Mad Magazine was a good way to pass a hot summer afternoon, of course while chewing some Black Jack, Teaberry or Beemans gum...Ray

jhrosier
01-31-2010, 09:27 PM
....Nobody had much money, but boy we sure did have fun!

Seems like we are headed back to "Nobody had much money", hope we can still remember how to have fun.

I do my part by getting out to shoot nearly every week, even if it just the .22. The days when it rains or snows leave the range quiet and suitable for a little shooting and some reminiscing. It is kind of funny how the mention of Green Stamps can take you back in time.

I still remember listening to the Lone Ranger and Gunsmoke on the radio, and helping my Grandma paste the green stamps in her books. It wasn't that long ago, just about 50 years.

Jack

qajaq59
02-01-2010, 03:53 AM
I can brag on one thing. I was a dead shot with a pea shooter.

And JHRossier, the people that wanted to have fun still would. Money isn't always a necessary ingredient for that. I can still whittle a stick or do a jig saw puzzle.

mcdonl
02-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Buy new wheels get... oh.. wait, thats silly...

Hi all. I just picked up a Lee 10# production pot and I already had 3 five gallon buckets of wheel weights... is that a lot?

Sorry to jump in the middle of a thread as my first post but you have to start somewhere :)

So, I have a couple of simple questions.

I have not ordered my molds yet, but I am dying to melt some lead. I have a safe area (Screened in back porche......), retired bunker gear for protection, a mask... but what I do not have is my molds yet. Or... an ingot mold.

Can I use a muffin tin?

Also, will regular candle wax work?

Thanks all, love the site!

qajaq59
02-01-2010, 01:41 PM
A muffin tin will work. And I prefer saw dust to candlewax, but either will work.

mcdonl
02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks Man, I got Sawdust!

Maineboy
02-02-2010, 06:13 AM
Couldn't you redeem green stamps for firearms? I seem to recall coveting a .22 in the redemption book...or was it in the Sears catalog. I know they had 'em.

qajaq59
02-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Mcdonl, just take your time, be careful and it will work out great. And the long sleaves and long pants that someone mentioned are really a good idea. Something else that I began to do in the past year is put a can of that burn spray on the bench. You may never need it, but it doesn't cost much and sometimes a drop may get you and it'll heal faster and hurt less if you spray it right away. And keep in mind that 99.9% of the people in here are more then happy to answer questions, so don't hesitate to ask if you're not sure of something. It's a good hobby and can be done quite safely. It'll also save you a bundle of money if you shoot a lot.

41mag
02-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Couldn't you redeem green stamps for firearms? I seem to recall coveting a .22 in the redemption book...or was it in the Sears catalog. I know they had 'em.

Yes, I have an automatic 22, and a bolt action .410 that were both Green Stamp guns.

Also have a set of insulated plastic cups from some gas station, no tellin how many Jelly jar tea glasses, screws and nails in cans and jars, not even going there. My pop used to own and run a Sinclair gas station, we used to have all sorts of trinkets and coupons from "way back when".

qajaq59
02-02-2010, 08:38 AM
It's amazing how free we were to hunt and fish back then too. My brother and I weren't much more the 9 or 10 and we'd take the .22 and head out in the woods for squirrels. No one even gave it a second thought. And if we got one we'd build a fire, cook it and eat it too. If I remember right they were as tough as shoe leather and we didn't care. LOL

mcdonl
02-02-2010, 08:52 AM
It'll also save you a bundle of money if you shoot a lot.

My goal is to shoot a lot! My short story... I buy a lot of "cheap" guns... too many...

My resolution this year was to buy a 1911... well, I was about 3/4 of the way through my savings when I realized, I cannot even afford to shoot what I have so adding .45ACP was not going to help. So, I invested all that I had saved into a reloading setup, casting setup and components. Now, soon... I will be able to shoot a lot more and then when I do finally get a 1911 I will be able to shoot it!

qajaq59
02-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Casting and loading can be quite educational. If nothing else by this time next year you'll certainly know more about ballistics then you do now. And my guess is that you'll likely shoot a lot better as well. It's a lot easier to practice when it isn't costing you a fortune.