PDA

View Full Version : tc omega

jballs918
06-06-2006, 02:20 PM
i have a buddy that is getting one of these and i was wondering if anyone can offer some advice for what to use for a casting bullet. it is a 50 cal. and he will be using it for hunting pretty much. as i know nothing about this i thought would pose the question to you all. and also can you cast for these with ww

thanks for any info

versifier
06-06-2006, 04:08 PM
The Omega is pretty much designed to shoot sabots. That doesn't mean it won't shoot acceptably with rb's or slugs, and you should try as many as you can get ahold of. For sabots, the easiest is to get just the sabots from T/C and fill them with .44cal boolits. No reason not to use ww's for them. (I cast Lyman 429421 for my friends that shoot .50's and Lee 452-228-1RHP's for my .54, and they may have to be sized to load easily, YMMV.) I have been convinced that ww's are OK for prb's, but you need pure lead for slugs. T/C's MaxiBalls are great performers (Lyman makes a mould), Lyman Plains, Lee makes Improved Minnies, Modern Minnies, and REALs, and RCBS makes an adjustable (253-566gr) N/S Skirmish mould. Everybody makes rb moulds, .490 or .495. You'll have to see what kinds of powder are available, then try them to see what it likes best. Pellets are more convenient for hunting, but you might get better groups with loose powder.

rmb721
06-06-2006, 09:55 PM
I use 100 grain volumn eqivelant of loose Pyrodex with a TC sabot with a Speer 240 grain Jacketed HP or a Lyman 429421 WW bullet. These loads also shoot very well in my TC Hawken and TC Renegade flinklocks, only with 100 grains of black powder.

ourway77
06-19-2006, 04:37 AM
As said the Encore and Omega have a 1-28 Twist, which is designed to shoot sabots, However I have shot 460 grain No Excuse Bullets out of my encore, while not the best accuracy it is acceptable for hunting. Best accuracy was obtained useing sabots and 250-300 grain bullets in 45 caliber. Some have went to 458 diameter bullets though hard to seat to the powder. Now I have several White rifle that have a 1-24 twist and they will hold heavy conicals to less than an inch,:Fire: