PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Weights

Luper
01-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Can I use wheel weights to cast for a muzzle loader if I use a sabot for pistol bullets or a patch for round balls? Thanks in advance.

AZ-Stew
01-28-2010, 09:43 PM
I think you can probably get away with using WW for pistol boolits that will be used with sabots. If anyone can give me a reason why not, I'll be glad to learn.

The round ball and patch is a different matter. Pure lead is soft enough that your patch cloth can be pressed into it where the lands of the rifling are, while still providing a seal in the groove area. A WW ball will be so hard that the rifling can't press the patch cloth into the side of the ball, making it VERY difficult to ram the ball onto the powder. Some folks try a smaller ball size to make ramming easier, but this results in not enough pressure on the patch in the grooves of the barrel, resulting in a poor gas seal and blown out patches. Pure lead is best for this job.

Regards,

Stew

whisler
01-28-2010, 09:43 PM
You will find that wheel weights will cast a larger diameter RB than pure lead and since it is harder, will increase loading difficulty unless a thinner patch is used. A thinner patch may or may not work wel. l accidently used some lead with a small amount of antimony for RB and had a terrible time loading using my normal procedure. I like pure for RB much better.

Rusty W
01-28-2010, 10:46 PM
I use a 44-250-k mold for a .50cal Traditions and shoot them in a Hornady sabot. I use 50/50 ww to pure, sometimes 75/25 and sometimes I just don't know what it is. If it'll pour outta pot and give good fill out I'll try it. I don't see why plain WW won't work, after all they use a 44 jacketed xtp in the factory variety. I've not had the luck to try it on game but it hits where I look at 60yds, haven't tried it at 100yds yet.

Luper
01-28-2010, 11:25 PM
ok thanks guys

gray wolf
01-28-2010, 11:38 PM
NO PROBLEM IN A SABOT-- the bullet needs not to obturate. But like it was said it may be a little tite. Sabots come in different thicknesses.

high standard 40
01-28-2010, 11:48 PM
If the bullets are tight, why not size them .429? That should solve that issue.

gray wolf
01-29-2010, 12:17 AM
If the bullets are tight, why not size them .429? That should solve that issue.

Now I feal stupid----good thinking

mooman76
01-29-2010, 12:18 AM
I did it for years. That was all I had and it worked fairly well in fact. Pure is best but if that's all you have then why not. I did RBs and REALs. REALs are a little harder to get down the bore but still doable.

northof58
01-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I use WW lead for my Lyman 54 caliber Trade Rifle shooting round ball. It seems to shoot as well as the pure lead. After trying it and finding that it works fine for me, I now shoot mostly WW lead. I get it for free. I save my pure lead for hunting. Just find the right patch thickness and try it. It works well in some muzzle loaders and you may just find that it works for yours.

Daddyfixit
01-29-2010, 01:26 PM
I use WW for my R.E.A.L. Lee and straight lead for round ball

stubert
01-29-2010, 01:31 PM
I purchased a used Ruger Old Army, cap and ball revolver that came with a bunch of round balls. They were so hard you could not not press them into the cylinder without leaning on the loading lever real hard. I think the guy traded it in because he couldn't load it, It looked unfired when I bought it 2 years ago. Use pure for R/B and conicals, anything in a sabot.

Luper
01-29-2010, 05:03 PM
oh ya one more thing do you need to use pure lead for casting full bore for a muzzleloader and if yes why thanks

WHITETAIL
01-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Luper, Welcome and like what was said.
Pure lead for full size boolets, and in
a sabo you can use anything.:redneck:

WILCO
01-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Now I feal stupid.....

That's a waste of time. Learn and grow brother, learn and grow.