PDA

View Full Version : 35 Rem Mauser Part II

bstarling
01-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Well, the project finally got off the ground! I was able to find an action for a most reasonable price. I got an FN30 M98, lots more than the Small Ring I was thinking about, but that's OK. I knew if I wound up with a large ring I'd want to up the anti and I have. Now I'm thinking more along the lines of a 35 Whelen I might as well use the 98 for what it is. I am going to build this up as a switch barrel gun.

Here's a few pictures I have taken as I got started. Mind you that I still have quite a way to go, but got to start somewhere.

The first thing I needed was to try my hand at doing this project without screwing up something good, so I got an old shot out 8 x 57 barrel and turned the shoulder off and extended the threads about three turns. Next I took a honkin big nut I had laying around and bored and threaded it to fit the 98 barrel.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l219/wbstarling/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF0946.jpg

After the nut was turned to suit I put it onto the barrel and made a part about where I thought it should be. I laid some thin copper wire in the barrel threads to keep the nut from running up the shank.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l219/wbstarling/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF0947.jpg

After a little clean up the nut went on the barrel and the barrel into the receiver.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l219/wbstarling/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF0954.jpg

To get it to work all I have to do is run the barrel up to the right headspace and tighten the nut against the receiver face.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l219/wbstarling/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF0952.jpg

Mind you that this is all my prototype work. I doubt the barrel would shoot too well, but I'll still get my hands on a couple of 8mm rounds and give it a crack.

I want to thank all who have given so much advise on this project. I especially want to thank swheeler who has given me invaluable advise and encouragement.

I'm a long shot from done, but at least started.

Bill

deltaenterprizes
01-28-2010, 08:36 PM
How are you going to check headspace?

bstarling
01-28-2010, 09:04 PM
How are you going to check headspace?

Likely for this test, I'll either use an unfired round for a go, and the same round with a piece of tape on the base as a no go. I think it will be close enough for what I need. I can go to a local gun shop that has some 8mm gauges and do it right, but probably won't. I'm not looking at more than a couple of rounds to be fired.

Bill

swheeler
01-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Bill I want to commend you on sticking to your guns about doing a nutted switch barrel mauser. Now that you have it all figured out I see a whole line-up of sporter barrels in various calibers to swap out at your liesure! at least a dozen different calibers! har-har
Thanks appreciated but not needed. Good job.
DE; not to answer for Bill, but he knows about go-no go gages and how to use them, he also knows about setting HS off a factory loaded round, I'm sure he will do just fine.

swheeler
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
to slow on the trigger/typing finger!

bstarling
01-28-2010, 09:18 PM
Bill I want to commend you on sticking to your guns about doing a nutted switch barrel mauser. Now that you have it all figured out I see a whole line-up of sporter barrels in various calibers to swap out at your liesure! at least a dozen different calibers! har-har
Thanks appreciated but not needed. Good job.
DE; not to answer for Bill, but he knows about go-no go gages and how to use them, he also knows about setting HS off a factory loaded round, I'm sure he will do just fine.

I did think about maybe making a couple of barrels based on the 30/06 case. Since I already have a 270, maybe my second will be a 25/06. Right now though I've got to focus on the task at hand and also save some $$ so I can get a good Whelen barrel. I'm thinking about having ER Shaw make one with a full chamber and about three extra threads on the shank.

That change barrel is the trick. I can remove the 8mil barrel and replace it in 60 seconds flat! This is making me wonder why anyone would do it any other way!:bigsmyl2:

Bill

swheeler
01-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Bill; You the Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deltaenterprizes
01-28-2010, 09:52 PM
I have seen a loaded cartridge used for a go, but never thought about using tape to use as a no go.

bstarling
01-28-2010, 09:56 PM
I have seen a loaded cartridge used for a go, but never thought about using tape to use as a no go.

Yea, the tape will mike out at about 0.003. It's down and dirty, cheap.

Bill

bstarling
01-30-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm now to the point that I need to think about a low bolt handle. I've thought about cutting and welding or heating and reshaping the existing handle. Right now I think working the existing one will be just fine. I know that there are perils associated with this procedure. I don't want to overheat the lugs or the cocking cam so I made a screw in heat sink out of aluminum. I'll use either heat paste or maybe just wet rags on the outside to keep it cool. The question is is there any reason this can't be done without forging blocks? I think I can secure the bolt in a vise with aluminum jaw faces, heat the handle and bang away with the hammer.

The other question I have is when drilling the receiver, do you drill through the receiver ring or not ? The barrel is not in the receiver so I'm not concerned about drilling into the chamber and I won't drill into the lugs either.

This is the heat sink I made for the bolt.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l219/wbstarling/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF0955.jpg

Thanks again, Bill

swheeler
01-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Bill; check out Midway, they carry a good selection of Wheeler gunsmithing tools. With a name like that they have to be GOOD! I personally like to cut off the old and weld on a new handle, like the RCE Dakota model. You will want to drill completely through the reciever, and like you noted make sure you miss lugs. I use a B-square D&T jig I bought 20 years ago, Wheeler offers one now through Midway for about 1/4 what I paid.
I personally would probably not try forging the way you describe, one bad aimed swing could create problems fast, but that's just me. Does your heat sink have a nose on it that pretty much fills the space usually occupied by the striker? I believe it should.

swheeler
01-30-2010, 11:12 PM
These bolt handles were under 8.00, weld, polish and blue up nice.

bstarling
01-31-2010, 12:14 AM
Bill; check out Midway, they carry a good selection of Wheeler gunsmithing tools. With a name like that they have to be GOOD! I personally like to cut off the old and weld on a new handle, like the RCE Dakota model. You will want to drill completely through the reciever, and like you noted make sure you miss lugs. I use a B-square D&T jig I bought 20 years ago, Wheeler offers one now through Midway for about 1/4 what I paid.
I personally would probably not try forging the way you describe, one bad aimed swing could create problems fast, but that's just me. Does your heat sink have a nose on it that pretty much fills the space usually occupied by the striker? I believe it should.

I made the sink so that it went all the way to the shoulder of the firing pin. Those threads are strange, they're 60 degrees but only on one side, but once I ground a bit they cut alright. I may well look into the D&T jig, Wheeler sounds like a good name to me. I may actually farm out the D&T, have to think about that one. I guess I could gas weld the bolt handle on, or maybe do a stick weld on it. I don't have a TIG, but wish I did. I'm thinking a stick would heat the thing up less than a gas weld since it would heat immediately and the gas does take a while.

Thanks Scot,

Bill

Tazman1602
01-31-2010, 12:51 AM
Bill,

I've got a set of bolt forging blocks and a heat sink if you want to borrow them for shipping. I've watched your progress on this and really like what you're doing.

Forging is easy, use a hot torch and beat heck out of it to get it to basic shape as fast as you can in the blocks, give it a bit of a backsweep for looks, then heat at the base of the knob and sweep that forward for a professional look. Polish off with Craytex and your done. Much easier than welding on a new handle but some say it's a bit short -- I"ve never found that to be the case for me. The Ruger style weld on's DO look nice though.

If you need I can take pics of one of my Mausers I kept for ME in 30-06 that has been forged. Might even have some Brownell's heat stop left in the shop.

Man I miss the old cheap Mauser actions and being able to work with them.

If this is a standard 98 action I may even have some safety conversions or low safeties left if you are going to put a scope on it.

Art

EDIT: Gas welding is a PITA on bolt handles..................if you do go that route I *may* have some rod I got from Brownells left too but it's MUCH easier to TIG or even MIG weld them.

I made the sink so that it went all the way to the shoulder of the firing pin. Those threads are strange, they're 60 degrees but only on one side, but once I ground a bit they cut alright. I may well look into the D&T jig, Wheeler sounds like a good name to me. I may actually farm out the D&T, have to think about that one. I guess I could gas weld the bolt handle on, or maybe do a stick weld on it. I don't have a TIG, but wish I did. I'm thinking a stick would heat the thing up less than a gas weld since it would heat immediately and the gas does take a while.

Thanks Scot,

Bill

swheeler
01-31-2010, 02:15 AM
I've got a set of bolt forging blocks and a heat sink if you want to borrow them for shipping. I've watched your progress on this and really like what you're doing. by Art

This sounds like one heck of a good deal! I too think this is a very interesting project and is progressing nicely!

Buckshot
01-31-2010, 04:32 AM
I made the sink so that it went all the way to the shoulder of the firing pin. Those threads are strange, they're 60 degrees but only on one side, but once I ground a bit they cut alright.

Thanks Scot,

Bill

...........Those are buttress threads.

...........Buckshot

bstarling
01-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Bill,

I've got a set of bolt forging blocks and a heat sink if you want to borrow them for shipping. I've watched your progress on this and really like what you're doing.

Forging is easy, use a hot torch and beat heck out of it to get it to basic shape as fast as you can in the blocks, give it a bit of a backsweep for looks, then heat at the base of the knob and sweep that forward for a professional look. Polish off with Craytex and your done. Much easier than welding on a new handle but some say it's a bit short -- I"ve never found that to be the case for me. The Ruger style weld on's DO look nice though.

If you need I can take pics of one of my Mausers I kept for ME in 30-06 that has been forged. Might even have some Brownell's heat stop left in the shop.

Man I miss the old cheap Mauser actions and being able to work with them.

If this is a standard 98 action I may even have some safety conversions or low safeties left if you are going to put a scope on it.

Art

EDIT: Gas welding is a PITA on bolt handles..................if you do go that route I *may* have some rod I got from Brownells left too but it's MUCH easier to TIG or even MIG weld them.

Art, I am overwhelmed that someone that has never met me is willing to make such a generous offer. The truth is I can use the loan and will be very careful with your tools. Also, a picture of your Mauser 30/06 would be nice to see. I have sent you a PM.

The support I have received from everyone here is gratifying. Thanks to everyone.

Bill

bstarling
02-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Well, progress is being made on the rifle, but now while waiting for the bolt bending blocks from Tazman to arrive I am deciding on the scope mount arrangement. I am fond of one piece mounts but need something that will give good clearance over the loading chute. I can find plenty of choices for the civilian FN receiver, but not so many anymore around for the M98 military version. I have thought about grinding down the charger hump and trying to put on a civilian FN mount. The question is will the civilian mount work after the grind or is there another I'll have to go with?

Another is to use the Williams side mount which is quick detachable and would be good for having zeroed scope for each change barrel I make. Most of the one piece mounts with a cutaway are Leopold or Millet and this mount doesn't seem to be conducive to changing out scopes with out loosing its zero.

Any input will be appreciated.

Bill ???????????????

deltaenterprizes
02-04-2010, 08:07 PM
I had to get 2 piece mounts from Midway made by Leupold for my first Mauser , the K.Kale Turk came predrilled with the mount included.

Tazman1602
02-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Hey Bill,

I SWEAR as soon as I get a break from these 12 hour non-stop days I'll get those blocks out to you. I dug them out of my toolbox and found two different heat sinks for 98's too, couldn't find any safeties but I KNOW I've got some somewhere. I'm a "taxman" (NOT IRS but the end that try's to not let them have anything they don't have coming...) this time of year so it's crazy for me.

IF you need it I also have a reciever facing mandrell, and since I just trudged in from the shop and read this post I have Redfield two-piece bases left too (may even have a one piece left too...) if they will do you any good, they're just sitting there now so let me know and I'll make sure they're for LR Mausers. I always used the Redfield two piece bases and then lapped the rings to match when I was building these.

OH! I also found a can of Brownells "Heat Stop" that you can just lay a thick layer of in the blocks before you put the bolt in them -- dadgone thing is froze solid so if it thaws and is still good I'll send that too -- that one you can keep because I've got more. Like I said I used to do a lot of these but when the supply of actions ran out it just stopped.....

SORRY for taking so long but I HAVE to work when I can up here and that ain't very much or for very long........<GRIN>. Can't wait to get back to "important" stuff like casting and reloading and shooting.

Art

PS -- Man I apologize for being so slow in shipping but I ain't had a day off in, ah, well since about two weeks ago Sundays included although I do a half day on Sunday..........

Well, progress is being made on the rifle, but now while waiting for the bolt bending blocks from Tazman to arrive I am deciding on the scope mount arrangement. I am fond of one piece mounts but need something that will give good clearance over the loading chute. I can find plenty of choices for the civilian FN receiver, but not so many anymore around for the M98 military version. I have thought about grinding down the charger hump and trying to put on a civilian FN mount. The question is will the civilian mount work after the grind or is there another I'll have to go with?

Another is to use the Williams side mount which is quick detachable and would be good for having zeroed scope for each change barrel I make. Most of the one piece mounts with a cutaway are Leopold or Millet and this mount doesn't seem to be conducive to changing out scopes with out loosing its zero.

Any input will be appreciated.

Bill ???????????????

bstarling
02-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Hey Bill,

I SWEAR as soon as I get a break from these 12 hour non-stop days I'll get those blocks out to you. I dug them out of my toolbox and found two different heat sinks for 98's too, couldn't find any safeties but I KNOW I've got some somewhere. I'm a "taxman" (NOT IRS but the end that try's to not let them have anything they don't have coming...) this time of year so it's crazy for me.

IF you need it I also have a reciever facing mandrell, and since I just trudged in from the shop and read this post I have Redfield two-piece bases left too (may even have a one piece left too...) if they will do you any good, they're just sitting there now so let me know and I'll make sure they're for LR Mausers. I always used the Redfield two piece bases and then lapped the rings to match when I was building these.

OH! I also found a can of Brownells "Heat Stop" that you can just lay a thick layer of in the blocks before you put the bolt in them -- dadgone thing is froze solid so if it thaws and is still good I'll send that too -- that one you can keep because I've got more. Like I said I used to do a lot of these but when the supply of actions ran out it just stopped.....

SORRY for taking so long but I HAVE to work when I can up here and that ain't very much or for very long........<GRIN>. Can't wait to get back to "important" stuff like casting and reloading and shooting.

Art

PS -- Man I apologize for being so slow in shipping but I ain't had a day off in, ah, well since about two weeks ago Sundays included although I do a half day on Sunday..........

Art, no problem. I didn't ever intend to sound like I am waiting impatiently. Far from it, I was wanting to show that some progress is happening and that I'm looking for something to do in the meantime. I appreciate your help more than I can ever express. I know how it is to get overwhelmed with work, but fortunately I guess, I am now retired. Got time but the $$ sometime come slowly.

Bill:drinks:

Tazman1602
02-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Not taken that way at all man, I'm more ticked at myself for not being rich and being able to do what I want, I LOVE these old Mauser's.

SOOO, since it's now time to go to bed, and I'm wound up like a nine-day clock I thought the least I could do was take you some pics and post them.

These pics are of the ONE 1909 Argentine action I kept and rebarreled just for me in one of my favorite calibers, 30-06. Now normally I would have taken a Ruger bolt handle and welded it one, but on mine, I decided to forge it -- it is a bit shorter than a weld on bolt, but just as functional. The bolt shroud is a Brownells bare shroud with a Timney side-safety trigger. The barrel is a premium fluted barrel made by Mr. Sipe of what is now the Montana Rifle Company when he was first starting up. Back then it was called The Montana Rifleman and I could talk to Brian (I *think* his name was Brian Sipe) and he did this barrel special for me. Bolt lugs were lapped to 100% contact before he got it, and the mounts on the Leupold scope are the two-piece Redfields with Redfield Rings. Stock is McMillan and action is bedded with Brownells steel bed. All blueing work, stock work, and metal work besides the barrel was done by me.

A bad group with this rifle is 1" @ 100 yds. Flippin tack driver. Any-who here's some eye candy on the bolt, I included pics of it with a stock bolt on the last 1909 Argentine in existence that I have. You can see some surface rust so it's time to oil it down again but it will polish right out. I was hoping it would give you a perspective of what can be done with forging when it's done right. The forged bolt started out exactly like the straight bolt.

#1 1909 Argie

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc336/Tazman1602/MauserBuilding/1909Argie.jpg

#2 Closeup of forged bolt

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc336/Tazman1602/MauserBuilding/ForgedBolt.jpg

#3 Side by Side comparison

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc336/Tazman1602/MauserBuilding/ForgedBolt2.jpg

#4 Well, it just gives me a semi-woody to show that barrel off, I have no excuse but blatant self satisfaction...

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc336/Tazman1602/MauserBuilding/Fluted.jpg

You can view the whole album full size right here if you want:

http://s525.photobucket.com/albums/cc336/Tazman1602/MauserBuilding/

OK man I'm gonna try to go to bed now so I can get up at 5:30 and start over again. Hope these helped you out a bit and gave you some ideas. Next week things will start slowing down a bit, I'm only antsy because if I was going full bore on a project like yours I'd be hell-bent-for-leather to get it done!

Art

Art, no problem. I didn't ever intend to sound like I am waiting impatiently. Far from it, I was wanting to show that some progress is happening and that I'm looking for something to do in the meantime. I appreciate your help more than I can ever express. I know how it is to get overwhelmed with work, but fortunately I guess, I am now retired. Got time but the $$ sometime come slowly.

bstarling
02-10-2010, 01:05 PM
I am now finalizing my thinking just before I start cutting metal on the receiver of this project. One issue that is coming up is the overall length of the 35 Whelen being 3.340" and the length of my magazine box being 3.317" I know the thing can be cut to accommodate this length, but am not sure if it is from the front of the box or the rear, maybe both. One idea I read on line was to bed the box into the stock with glass and then completely take out the front of the box. That length would be approximately 3.407" which should be sufficient for the round if nothing else is involved. This would also be the easiest since I do not have a mill. I might do some hogging out with the drill press to lengthen, but this is iffy on a drill press at best. One other issue is the length of the follower. Is the stock x57 follower length sufficient?

I guess I could go with the 08 length round and go for a 358 Winchester and not fool with this issue, but that is not the original intent. What does anyone know about the 9x57? I sure that would fit exactly. Actually, the original was a 35 Remington in a SR action, so I guess if wouldn't matter if I deviate from plan.

Any input is appreciated.

Bill

Tazman1602
02-10-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey Bill,
Got a break from clients, PM inbound sorry to take so long to respond.

Art

bstarling
02-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Well, I've been on slow lately. Had too much going on and too cold to hit the shop. Today was nice and I took advantage of it to forge the bolt for my action. This was a first for me and I am pleased with the results, I spent the better part of the day grinding and shaping the thing. None of this would have been possible but for the generosity of Tazman who loaned me his forging blocks. Thanks Art.

Bill

I have a bit of final shaping and polishing to do, but this is the essence of it.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l219/wbstarling/DSCF0991.jpg

swheeler
02-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Bill looks good, and yes I believe you did a lot of grinding and shaping. The final shape is appealing to the eye, good job! Have you decided on the next caliber barrel yet? Heck I'll bet you've got 2 or 3 already picked out. Scot

bstarling
02-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Bill looks good, and yes I believe you did a lot of grinding and shaping. The final shape is appealing to the eye, good job! Have you decided on the next caliber barrel yet? Heck I'll bet you've got 2 or 3 already picked out. Scot

Hey Scot, right now I'm favoring the 08 series of cartridges. I think the first may well be the 338 Federal maybe followed by a 243. At one time I had considered the 358 Winchester. but the 338 is my top contender right now.

Bill

Tazman1602
02-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Well, I've been on slow lately. Had too much going on and too cold to hit the shop. Today was nice and I took advantage of it to forge the bolt for my action. This was a first for me and I am pleased with the results, I spent the better part of the day grinding and shaping the thing. None of this would have been possible but for the generosity of Tazman who loaned me his forging blocks. Thanks Art.

I have a bit of final shaping and polishing to do, but this is the essence of it.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l219/wbstarling/DSCF0991.jpg

Bill

MY PLEASURE! Now take that knob and "tweak" it towards the front of the action just a "Scosh" and it will be PERFECT!!!!

Art

swheeler
02-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Hey Scot, right now I'm favoring the 08 series of cartridges. I think the first may well be the 338 Federal maybe followed by a 243. At one time I had considered the 358 Winchester. but the 338 is my top contender right now.

Bill

Fine choices I'm sure, I've owned a couple 243's but never the 338Fed, 25 Souper sounds interesting also. Will be waiting to see some targets posted. Scot

Got started on a project of my own, FINALLY. Had a gew88 setting that had been hacksawed off, stock split from front guard screw to wrist, badly pitted although most is under wood line. I dug out a set of rem sights and soldered them on,am looking for some scrap walnut to take the windage where the barrel jacket used to reside in the forearm, maybe add a cheekpiece too. I'm hoping it will make a truck gun that nobody would want to steal and a few more bangs and gouges wont hurt it! I have yet to get the 9 nails/brads out of the buttstock, like pulling ring shanks, someones art work I guess?

bstarling
02-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Progress on this project has not be too fast, but is sure. I'v cleaned up the receiver a bit by grinding the charger hump in addition to having forged the bolt handle, ground the trigger guard to another profile, and worked on some pitting. Since this receiver had some pitting where the top wood went over the ring, I filled it in with JB Weld and will DuraCoat it. Back when Mausers were commonplace I wouldn't have given a gun with pitting a second look. Now, I'm glad to find one that is only cosmetically pitted. :violin:

Anyway, I thought I'd post a couple of photos of the progress. I'm waiting on Sam to send me some $$ so I can get on with this.I hope he hurries up.

Bill

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l219/wbstarling/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF0993.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l219/wbstarling/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF0994.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l219/wbstarling/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF0995.jpg

swheeler
02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Bill you're moving ahead, good job. I don't worry too much about pits anymore and file out what I can and blast with silica sand, the coarse matte helps hide a lot. I have never used any of the paint/baking enamel coatings, but have seen some that look pretty nice when finished. Still not drilled and tapped, did you look at Wheeler Engineering jig offered by Midway, not to terrible pricey.

bstarling
02-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Scot, I did look at that one over at Midway and they have discontinued it. I have no idea why. It was a nice set up and the price was incredible.

Those pits were a little too deep to file and come up with a smooth finish and they were right on the front edge of the ring in plain view. I would have preferred to do it your way though. I thought about welding them up (for about one millisecond!), but that would have open another can of worms I don't want to mess with.

I enjoy being retired, but the $$ can come up short, especially when you're raising a granddaughter. I even thought about going back to work so I'll have play money, but then I wouldn't have the time to play with my toys. :bigsmyl2:

Bill

swheeler
02-24-2010, 07:04 PM
DISCONTINUED IT! What's up with that, cheeeeeeezeeeee. I know what you mean about DEEP pitting, this 88 is awful, thinkin' it over now- fill like you did and paint, soft solder and finish reciever in the white, fill with blackened acraglas and blue as normal or stipple the pitting up onto the reciever with some kind of border in an artsy fashion, I don't TIG or that's another option. More thinkin' required! I did get a cheek piece attached and shaped today though, guns are like women, it's not what they look like, it's how well they perform that counts.

swheeler
02-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Bill; I don't know if you've found a stock yet, but if you want to go CHEAP a military can be fun and functional, and can always be replaced later, just a thought. Scot

Tazman1602
02-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Bill -- NICE trigger gaurd mod!!! You'll like that. I have a drill fixture too I can lend you for Mausers when you get to that point just let me know.

Swheeler -- !!!! NICE STOCK MOD! I really like that and the though of doing something like that never crossed my mind!

Man you guys are bad. Soon as I get the work I'm doing on revolvers straightened out I gotta build me a .35........or bigger!

So many projects, so little time and money.........mostly money.........

Art

bstarling
02-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Scot, I do like that cheek piece. Like Art, I would never have thought of doing that . It is really cool. Are you going to put raised side panels on the forend like the old German rifles?

Art, I appreciate your kind comments on my efforts. Sometimes it comes out good and other times it comes out. I try not to think much about the "other times".

I was amazed that those D&T fixtures were no longer available. It's a dang shame. I do appreciate the offer on your fixture. I'll try and get your block and book off tomorrow. Thanks for that one too.

Oh yes, if larger that a 35, just what may you have in mind? I like big bores. Maybe I'll go larger and see if I can completely kill what's left of my shoulder:mrgreen:

Bill

swheeler
02-25-2010, 01:59 AM
It seems like when the economy started to nose dive a lot of items became discontinued/unavailable. Art you thinking about 9.3x57, 9.3x62 or 375 Whelen, maybe some new wildcat? Dang it's fun to dream isn't it.

Tazman1602
02-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Actually guys .35 Whelen has always been a want, need, and desire for me..............BUT

30-338 (30 cal in a 338 brass)
338-06 (338 cal in 06 brass)
AND
375 Whelen have always been on my mind. Only problem is the gun I *want* to build from the last 1909 Argentine action I"ve got is going to be very respensive so I don't even want to start until I"ve got all funds lined up which ain't gonna be soon.

I've got a Swede I've been working on for a couple of year on and off that's been cut down to 22" barrel, action reworked, Ruger bolt handle welded on and I've got a synthetic stock for it too. Just wanting funds to finish that one too and if I did that I'd have to give up some of my shooting and casting for what I do have right now.

I'd *like* to make this a "classic" rifle with reciever sights but don't have a dog gone fixture for the front sights to be mounted so I'm waiting on that one too.

If you had told me five years ago the economy/job situation would get this bad I would have called you a liar. Still can't believe it's this bad up here. Right now just trying to survive and doing ok at that but dang...........................

Art

badgeredd
02-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Actually guys .35 Whelen has always been a want, need, and desire for me..............BUT

30-338 (30 cal in a 338 brass)
338-06 (338 cal in 06 brass)
AND
375 Whelen have always been on my mind. Only problem is the gun I *want* to build from the last 1909 Argentine action I"ve got is going to be very respensive so I don't even want to start until I"ve got all funds lined up which ain't gonna be soon.

I've got a Swede I've been working on for a couple of year on and off that's been cut down to 22" barrel, action reworked, Ruger bolt handle welded on and I've got a synthetic stock for it too. Just wanting funds to finish that one too and if I did that I'd have to give up some of my shooting and casting for what I do have right now.

I'd *like* to make this a "classic" rifle with reciever sights but don't have a dog gone fixture for the front sights to be mounted so I'm waiting on that one too.

If you had told me five years ago the economy/job situation would get this bad I would have called you a liar. Still can't believe it's this bad up here. Right now just trying to survive and doing ok at that but dang...........................

Art

Art,

It's not just up there. The tooling industry is in the toilet down here. Kalamazoo WAS one of the nations largest tooling areas. Grand homey will blow us away, remember?

Edd

swheeler
02-25-2010, 02:30 PM
"I'd *like* to make this a "classic" rifle with reciever sights but don't have a dog gone fixture for the front sights to be mounted so I'm waiting on that one too. "

Art you can set that flat bottomed reciever on a jo-jo block and level it, support barrel with V-block and shims, cross level(plumb &level) your front sight on the barrel. I tin the barrel and bottom of the front sight, set in place, heat to solder and check for level. On the round bottom recievers you can use you D&T fixture to get rec level, the samo-samo If the sights are screw on style you can D & T later, I try to leave .080" wall on the bbls, more if I can. Scot

Molly
02-25-2010, 05:57 PM
... Oh yes, if larger that a 35, just what may you have in mind? I like big bores. Maybe I'll go larger and see if I can completely kill what's left of my shoulder:mrgreen:
Bill

How about a 45-70 knockoff based on a blown out 30-06 case? No rim, so it should be easy to make it feed, and headspace on the mouth just like a 45 ACP.

deltaenterprizes
02-25-2010, 06:06 PM
How about a 45-70 knockoff based on a blown out 30-06 case? No rim, so it should be easy to make it feed, and headspace on the mouth just like a 45 ACP.

That sounds very interesting!

Tazman1602
02-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Art,

It's not just up there. The tooling industry is in the toilet down here. Kalamazoo WAS one of the nations largest tooling areas. Grand homey will blow us away, remember?

Edd

Yes Sir! I'm blown away, that is fer SURE. Up here by the bridge it's getting bad enough I'm having to lay out motion sensors to my blasted GARDEN so people don't steal my winter food -- if they'd ASK I'd gladly cut them in on some of it in exchange for work on the garden.

Grand Rapids is another disaster area from what I"m told by my six brother in laws too, sorry to hear about K-Zoo, what a great town in it's day.

Unemployement figures only consider those that are ON the unemployment roles and I know a LOT of people that I have known for 30 plus years that have been unemployed several years now. 3 couples we've known that long have just left everything and gotten out of the state. VERY, VERY sad.

The *bad* part is the youngsters. They graduate high school, they get the hell out of Dodge --- and I don't blame them, there's nothing to keep them here and once you lose your young people you are DONE.

See I hadda be one of those "smart guys" who was gonna pay off the house early and sail on into retirement on a lark. I did pay off the house early, don't owe a dime on it or my land..........

..........now you might be saying that's a good thing -- overall it is, BUT (and I couldn't do this because I'm patently honest) in retrospect I should have mortgaged the place for 125% of it's value five years ago (down 33% in value with the last tax bill and you can't GIVE a house away in this county now...Emmet) taken the money and buried it in mason jars in the backyard, I could now pick up my stuff and leave this state with several hundred thousand dollars cash in my pocket for a new start somewhere there are jobs (does that place exist, really?).

Wife and I both have higher up college degress and I started life as a mechanic/machinist but there simply are zero decent jobs here and I"m about half disabled now.

Yes Jennifer, I'm blown away. Totally. Thanks you witch.

Sorry man, just the ramblings of an old man who longs for the old days....................

Enough negative garbage from me, back to building Mausers and BIG GUNS!

Art

PS - Wife out shot me all to heck two days ago at 25 yds with her Smith vs. my Ruger!!

bstarling
02-27-2010, 05:34 PM

That one sounds like it could do a number on my shoulder for sure, but I'm going to pass on it. I am finalizing on the 338 Federal. I've ordered headspace gauges and a few odd and ends along with a box of ammo from Midway yesterday. I'll be getting in a barrel order with ER Shaw sometime this week. There will still be a ship load of work to do before this deal is done, but it is underway.

On the retirement thing, I have to say about the only good coming from my 30+ years in gov. service is that I was forced to contribute to a retirement plan. I'd have never done this on my own. This allowed me to retire at 58, but unfortunately, not into the lap of luxury! One of the few smart things I've ever done with money was take the little I had in a mutual fund out about a week before everything went all to hell. They say that God looks after fools and Englishmen. I qualify on both accounts.

Bill

swheeler
03-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Bill; Did a little more playing with the stock, took up the windage in the barrel channel. Never be anything special but will be functional and enjoyed the sun and touching wood. This could work on a switch barrel too!

bstarling
03-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I like that Scot. I may well have to get after my old 93 and do that.

swheeler
03-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Got my behind the seat, truck gun done. G Mod 88, Spandau 1889. 22 inch barrel, rem 700 sights, silica sand blasted and hot water express blued. I had to buy a new shorter front sight 12.00 and one board foot of walnut 5.00. Light and handy little rifle and if some scum bag grabs it I'm out 50 bucks.

Tazman1602
03-10-2010, 06:24 PM
DANG Scott that's nice! And a $50 rifle! Is that 7X57?

swheeler
03-10-2010, 06:32 PM
It's an 8x57J bore. Wife and I put 50 rounds through it a week ago, looks like it will be fine but ran out of rear sight elevation, started about 8" low @ 50, so I got front sight .070" shorter. She sure points nice, it will get blooded this fall!

swheeler
03-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Couldn't resist, here's another.

Tazman1602
03-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Man that is just the berries..............sure wish those $50 rifles were still around. I've got a TON of 8x57 ammo for one of my mausers that an relative dug out of a closet. He brought it over because he's getting old and didn't want it "laying around" anymore, he was actually in Korea and brought it back, I asked him if it was loaded and he said "aw hell no" and I jacked the bolt and the nastiest, most corroded round I've ever seen came out!

No markings on caliber so I had to slug the bore to find out what it was and then guessed on 8mm..............tied it down to the woodpile, put a string on the trigger, hid behind my basement wall................turns out it ain't a bad ole shooter after some fire lapping with cast bullets!

I bought that ammo about 12 years ago in those bandoliers they were selling, I think 100 rounds for like $8 or something? I've probably got 600 rounds anyway and do like to shoot that old bugger!

I'd really like to pick up on a Mosin but ain't paying $200 for a formerly $60 rifle. We were at a gunshow last weekend and a guy had three Swede Mausers --- $350!!! WOW!

I've got some old Swede original stocks in my shop from back in the day and I may try your cheekpiece mod on one of them.

Regards,

Art

swheeler
03-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Art; the good old days of cheap milsurps is like everything else shooting related, gone, thanks to the libtards. I'll pick up a bubba rifle every now and again as long as it wasn't ruined in the process, and fashion it into something useable. Dang it, next thing you know gasoline will be a dollar a gallon and you won't buy a new Ford F100 for 3200.00! Wow I feel old and I'm not even 60!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bstarling
03-11-2010, 01:11 PM
I like that a lot. You've done a really nice job on that old gal Scot. The whole look of that one is super. Man, I wannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnt one!! :bigsmyl2:

Bill

swheeler
03-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks Bill, much appreciated. I do feel it belongs in the tall grass, but only scrub brush is in the cards for it. Hopefully the old gal will give up some venison next fall, the true test of a rifles worth, much more important to me than $ value. Scot

Old Ed
03-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Good looking piece Scott. I like it a lot.

Ed

swheeler
03-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks Ed, we need to get you posting more!!!!!

bstarling
03-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Oh my!! This has been a round d' round. My plans for the change barrel have been put on the back burner for a while. Numerous reasons, but all is not lost. I just ordered an A&B short chambered 35 Whelen barrel from Midway. That was one of the original calibers I was planing to do, but with a change barrel set up. Now its just a plain old standard fixed barrel. Actually this has evolved from a 35 Remington build on a small ring.

I really do appreciate all of the input I've received on this concept and I'll post some of the progress on the Whelen as it happens.

Cheers,