PDA

View Full Version : lee 500r cast bullet

windwalker
06-06-2006, 10:24 AM
i have been shooting the lee 500r cast plain base bullet in the 45/70 with graet succes with smokeless loads and black powder, but wanted to get a bit more velosity out of it with out getting leading so i fitted a gas check i used a lee champher tool to champher the base of the bullet then very carefuly taped on the gas check with a little supper glue then ran it through the lee sizing die it came out realy good they shoot realy good as well. i am getting 1615 fps average using adi 2207 powder the same as h4198 and rooster red lube with no leading with 20 to 1 mix. i like this bullet as it has a bc of 443 shoots very flat for a big bullet they cast at 512 to 515 grn see the pic
bernie:-D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/windwalker_au/100_4406.jpg

dk17hmr
06-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Thats a good looking bullet.
I am looking for a mold that throws em like that, I plan on deer huntin with the 45-70, do you hunt with that bullet?

What rifle are you shooting?

I will be gettin a 45-70 barrel for my NEF Handi Rifle this summer I have heard heavy bullets shoot good in them.

DK

44man
06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
I would not hunt with that boolit. It is too sharply pointed. You would be better off with a round nose or flat point boolit. Cast dead soft, it might expand but it could just as well punch a pencil hole through an animal.

Bucks Owin
06-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Thats a good looking bullet.
I am looking for a mold that throws em like that, I plan on deer huntin with the 45-70, do you hunt with that bullet?

What rifle are you shooting?

I will be gettin a 45-70 barrel for my NEF Handi Rifle this summer I have heard heavy bullets shoot good in them.

DK

Are you getting the "short" Handi Rifle barrel or the "long" target barrel? I have a .45/70 HR and am amazed at it's accuracy at 50 yds with the Win 300 gr factory load. I've bought a 405 gr Lee mould but haven't had a chance to "mess with it" yet. It certainly shoots as good as I can "see" with the stock sights. I've got an old 6X Weaver I'm thinking of installing on it...

Anyway, I think you'll be happy with yours!

Dennis

(And I too like the looks of that 500 gr boolit...)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/IMAGE050.jpg

dk17hmr
06-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Im getting the long barrel. 32" barrel im going to knock the end off to get the dovetail out of the barrel and put a target crown on it, to make the barrel 28-30" also am going to mount a scope on it 3-9 or something bigger. My dad has a Pedersoli 45-70 and he doesnt like to shoot hot loads out of it so I am just getting my own I figured why not the frame is going to be a the factory getting a 243 barrels so Ill just have that barrel fitted.

Which barrel do you have Dennis?

DK

Pawpaw
06-06-2006, 02:25 PM
I've been shooting that bullet for two years and really like it in my Sharps. Good downrange performance on targets.
http://www.shreve.net/~dennisd/targets/Sharp12.jpg

I'd like to use it hunting too. I'm not worried so much about the lack of a meplat, because it is a big honking .45 caliber bullet. If I shoot a .45 caliber hole though something, that something is gonna probably fall over pretty soon.

Bucks Owin
06-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Im getting the long barrel. 32" barrel im going to knock the end off to get the dovetail out of the barrel and put a target crown on it, to make the barrel 28-30" also am going to mount a scope on it 3-9 or something bigger. My dad has a Pedersoli 45-70 and he doesnt like to shoot hot loads out of it so I am just getting my own I figured why not the frame is going to be a the factory getting a 243 barrels so Ill just have that barrel fitted.

Which barrel do you have Dennis?

DK

I have the short one but "wish" I had the long one "just because". (I can't fault the accuracy of the short one!)

You're gonna have a nice rifle amigo!

Dennis

BTW, I'm hoping I have the ambition this winter to restock mine with some nice walnut I've been saving. The NEF stock will be firewood! LOL

Bucks Owin
06-06-2006, 02:47 PM
i have been shooting the lee 500r cast plain base bullet in the 45/70 with graet succes with smokeless loads and black powder, but wanted to get a bit more velosity out of it with out getting leading so i fitted a gas check i used a lee champher tool to champher the base of the bullet then very carefuly taped on the gas check with a little supper glue then ran it through the lee sizing die it came out realy good they shoot realy good as well. i am getting 1615 fps average using adi 2207 powder the same as h4198 and rooster red lube with no leading with 20 to 1 mix. i like this bullet as it has a bc of 443 shoots very flat for a big bullet they cast at 512 to 515 grn see the pic

Nice group Paw Paw. What was the range, 100 yds?

Hey Bernie,

Wanna swap some of those 500 gr for some 405 gr? Then we could both check 'em out without buying a "mowld"... ;)

The 405 is lubed with LLA since I don't have a .458" sizer yet. You'll have to size yourself or I could make you some plain ones.... (shown beside .44 250K boolit)

Dennis

BTW, "barefoot" would be fine with me....

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/IMAGE051.jpg

Pawpaw
06-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Nice group Paw Paw. What was the range, 100 yds?

Yeah, Buck. That is a hundred yard target. I've got a bunch made up, sized to 0.459 with Junior Lube. If you'd like a sample, email me and I'll put some in the mail.

ddezendorf/at/yahoo/dot/com. all spambots must die!

Bucks Owin
06-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Yeah, Buck. That is a hundred yard target. I've got a bunch made up, sized to 0.459 with Junior Lube. If you'd like a sample, email me and I'll put some in the mail.

ddezendorf/at/yahoo/dot/com. all spambots must die!

Gee that's a damn fine group I'd say, better than some of my pal's "varmint" rifles!
(Not mine of course...heh heh) :-D

I'll take you up on your gracious offer amigo, PM sent...

Dennis

windwalker
06-07-2006, 05:10 AM
this is from an outher forum that i post on when i first tested the bullet with the gas check,it was posted on the 27/4/06. i went up to the farm and test shot the lee 500r bullet with the gascheckit was a little bit blowy at first then the wind settled shot this 6 shot group at 400 meters i am realy pleased with the 500r with gascheck it is 6and 7/8 by 3 and 5/8 grupe the gas checks realy work well.the target was on a 6x6 ft black background best group i have ever shot at a long range, its a lot of luck in it not my shooting abillity.probebly never do it again lol.bucks unfortunatly wee cant send bullets out of western australia with out the spanish inqusition and a tone of papper work, other wise i would just send you some,pawpaw it is a very good hunting bullet expands to twise its size on pigs and camals donkeys and goats. as long as it is cast in 20 to one mix great big exit holes on goats and some pigs on donkeys big exit hole camals they normaley stop under the hide on the of side of the camals. none of the game takes a step if shot within 200 meters. they drope like they have bin hit by a thunder bolt.i shoot this bullet out of a h&r buffalo classic it has a tite barrel and likes the bullet sized at .457. 2 pic's posted
n
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/windwalker_au/100_4444.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/windwalker_au/100_4411.jpg

Nrut
06-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Great group and very nice wood on your BC there Windwalker!!.:-D ......Did you use Black or smokeless for that group?

Bucks Owin
06-07-2006, 09:04 PM
There sure IS a nice looking buttstock! Bet that ain't "stock" H&R....(little pun there...) :roll:

The fore end looks like mine except for the checkering...

Did you do the stock work?

Nice!

Dennis

windwalker
06-08-2006, 04:55 AM
nrut i used a smokles load adi 2207 same powder as hodgedon 4198,denis i was lucky when i got my buff with the wood,it is the factory finish. all i have done is fit the lyman .404 front globe and the smith buckhorn lader sight with peep hole slider.
it was quite a blowy day when i shot that group for once the wind mite of helped ,i just mite have puled the trigger at the rite time so the wind mite have pushed them the rite way for me lol, as said i am not that good at target shooting i would rather shoot at rocks and cans i find it more fun. and that is what shooting is about lol.