PDA

View Full Version : Lyman IDEAL #45

DeadWood
01-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Looking at getting into casting ,Still researching through threads on what "lubesizer" to buy. Had found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180460937120&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Was wondering if its worth getting for age and function?

Will it do gas checks?

If setup i would be casting anything from .41mag to Muzzleloader boolits. Had read that i may want 2 different lubeasizers for BP and smokeless because of having to use different lubes?

HORNET
01-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Yes, it'll do gas checks. Considering that it comes with several sizing dies, that's not a bad price. The OLD style sizing dies can be reworked to give some transition instead of the "step" that they used (if all else fails, they make good blanks for larger sizes). New style dies will work as long as they have the groove near the top, Buckshot also makes them.
It's not the strongest sizer out there so don't try using it with "bump" dies, you'll break it.
Yes, some members have multiple sizers set up so they don't have to change lubes, some even have ones dedicated to specific calibers.

Pressman
01-27-2010, 04:40 PM
My guess is that 45 will sell for $50.00. The same seller has a Potter lead hardness tester, missing the weights. It looks nice though is incomplete, and he is asking too much for it.
Ken

Mike W1
01-27-2010, 10:50 PM
FWIW I had one of these years ago and literally blew the bottom out of it with a lube that was a little too hard. I didn't have a heater at the time. Had a machinist friend rebuild the bottom for me but I thought it was definitely a weak point of that rig. No problems with the RCBS that I bought to replace it!

jr545
01-28-2010, 09:39 AM
I've been running one of these for the past 15 years. The unit was well used when I got it for a whopping $20 with 4 size dies and a handful of punches.
It just keeps chugging along, I've run some pretty hard lubes through it which gave me fits until I figured a way to keep heat on it but other than that it's been a good unit.
Recently picked up a couple 450's for a good deal so the old 45 is getting some time off, a few new parts(o-ring upgrade piston) and a fresh coat of paint.
At some point when $$ permits I will have a star......I'll keep the 45 around for just in case and sell/swapp of the others.

jcwit
01-28-2010, 12:29 PM
No reason to ruin a luber for lack of a heater, all one needs is a clip on light fixture with a 100 watt bulb. The light fixture does need to have a reflector.

Cherokee
01-29-2010, 01:37 PM
I started with a #45 back in the 60's, still have it and use it for certain bullets. Also have Star, #450 and #4500.

Char-Gar
01-29-2010, 01:56 PM
I started with a Lyman 45 back in 1959 and used it until about 1985. I replaced it with a Lyman 450 and now I have three 450s. The 45 works, just fine, but it is not as strong as the later Lyman machines.

I have sized hundreds of thousands of bullet, probably near a million and I have never used a heater. I don't own one and I don't want one. I want nothing to do with a lube so hard you have to heat it to make it flow through the machine. There is no shooting condition known to mankind that requires such hard lubes.

For all handgun and rifle loads up to 2,000 fps I use a mixture of beeswax and Vasilene (60/40). For anything above that I use Felix lube. Neither needs a heater.

Maybe I have my head up my wazoo, but I can shoot sub MOA groups with cast bullets and my lubes. I live in deep South Texas with very hot summers and the lubes don't run or roll snake eyes. They might if I lived in Death Valley, but I don't hang out or shoot there.

Bad Water Bill
01-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Still a good but A 45 + 4 dies and 2 top punches for $65.00. :bigsmyl2:

HangFireW8
02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
My guess is that 45 will sell for $50.00.
Ken

I've been trying to lowball any kind of working lubrisizer for that kind of money, good luck! BTW It closed for $83.

-HF