PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a new bottom pour furnace

Rockchucker
01-26-2010, 05:04 PM
I've been using the Lee pro 4 20 machine now for a while with zero problems except for the drip (Drip a matic I call it). The temperature control doesn't cause me any problems like it does others, but now I do want to upgrade. I'm looking at the Lyman 20 lb bottom pour and the RCBS bottom pour both in 110 vac. My question is which one to get, the RCBS is around 75 bucks more than the Lyman but both have great reviews.

Wally
01-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Why do you feel the need to upgarde---? I have two Lee productions pots and they both serve me well...

beagle
01-26-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm using two RCBS Pro Melts. Have had them about 10 years now. Can't beat them as far as I'm concerned. The Lyman I had dripped.

Both have been back to RCBS for repairs. No charge. Just shipping./beagle

Gee_Wizz01
01-26-2010, 05:15 PM
In my experience they all drip. I have good results with the 4-20, I wish they had better flow control, but not enough to pay out $200 more for it. If you need better temp control, get a PID controller and you can accurately control your temps. I like the RCBS pot better than the Lyman because I like RCBS's no BS customer service policies.

G

Shiloh
01-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Why do you feel the need to upgarde---? I have two Lee productions pots and they both serve me well...

+1 to this.

I love mine. Yeah, it drips on occasion. Clean the spout every now and then. It is not a big deal. I weighted mine aqnd it helped a lot. I cast great boolits with it.

Upgrade if you see the need, but my advice is if it isn't broken, then whats the need?

Shiloh

winelover
01-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Unless your doing a lot of casting, I also would stick with the Lee 20#er. Hard to justify the extra $$$. I'm not a Lee fan but I bite the boolit now and again. As far as temperature control goes, I cast wide open. If and when the temp needs to be lowered I will just add sprews and/or alloy to the pot. Never used a thermometer yet nor seen the need. Just find your rhythm and good results will follow.

Winelover:castmine:

Rockchucker
01-26-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm actually wanting a second melting pot rather than a upgrade. The pro 4 20 has been an excellent pot for me, just wish it didn't drip so much. I may end up with another pro 4 yet, but looking at the Lyman it has a mold warming feature that seems nice and the recovery time is short. I'm still favoring the RCBS model for their warranty but can't seem to get past the 354.99 price tag. I've read very little here about the PID controller, where could I find out more information on it? The folks that have them seem to think it's the way to go.

Wally
01-26-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm actually wanting a second melting pot rather than a upgrade. The pro 4 20 has been an excellent pot for me, just wish it didn't drip so much. I may end up with another pro 4 yet, but looking at the Lyman it has a mold warming feature that seems nice and the recovery time is short. I'm still favoring the RCBS model for their warranty but can't seem to get past the 354.99 price tag. I've read very little here about the PID controller, where could I find out more information on it? The folks that have them seem to think it's the way to go.

Seems like many have the same drip problems, I seldom have that problem. You can polish the tip of the rod with steel wool and clean out the spout with paperclip...that has worked for me superbly.

JDL
01-26-2010, 06:25 PM
I have the Lee, Lyman, and RCBS. All three produce good boolits and the Lee does drip a good bit more than the other 2. I don't believe the RCBS can be beat, if you have the jack in your pocket.
JDL

Rockchucker
01-26-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm starting to collect stalagmites instead of putting them back in the pot, I stand them up on a shelf and look at them as casting art work. Some take on some pretty interesting shapes. Maybe we should have a stalagmike (sp) contest and see who have the best looking ones.

Gunslinger1911
01-26-2010, 07:18 PM
I have the Lee 4-20 also, no worries - drips alittle, I keep the 'art" also :-) Spn the spout pin and good to go.

I din't need a "better" pot - I need a bigger pot! I wish Lee made a 30 or 40 pounder. The way I "speed cast" I think 30 or 40 lbs would have the "thermal inertia" to not drop temp too far when adding ingots.

winelover
01-26-2010, 07:25 PM
I din't need a "better" pot - I need a bigger pot! I wish Lee made a 30 or 40 pounder. The way I "speed cast" I think 30 or 40 lbs would have the "thermal inertia" to not drop temp too far when adding ingots.

Ya need to take a break anyways.:takinWiz:

Winelover::drinks:

mpmarty
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
My LEE doesn't drip but the darn spout freezes up frequently when its breezy out. My Lyman isn't any better and cost a bunch more. I don't worry too much about casting temps although I do have a thermometer and try to keep it in my sweet spot. I'd like to cast at around 650* but the spout won't pour below 700[smilie=1:

johnlaw484
01-26-2010, 08:08 PM
"can't seem to get past the 354.99" Holy Boolits, Batman! That is higher than a cats back.
The rule here is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Stick with the Lee. Mine drips, but for that price I think I'll content with it.

brad925
01-26-2010, 08:31 PM

Hey Rock as i say to my wife " it does'nt sound so bad if you say it really fast"........ 3%@#.99 ....LOL.

Gunslinger1911
01-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Ya need to take a break anyways.

Winelover:

True dat :-)

warf73
01-27-2010, 07:26 AM
I've looked into the biger pots also. Once things loosen up around here I've been wanting a Cast Master.
A 90lb pot would GREAT for when I casting 40cal (170gr boolits) and 45lc (255gr boolit). I cast both of these rounds at the same time as not to waste to much time but with the small 20lb pot once you get to rolling really good its time to add alloy again.

But if I was pouring my 357 boolits and smaller there really isnt a need for a biger pot.

As for your dripping most cases your alloy is dirty. I've found if you take a slot screw driver and turn your pin (when alloy is molten) when the pot is dripping you can hear/feel the pin grind the sand/dirt. And if you apply some pressure to this pin while your moving it back and forth the drip will stop/slow down.

If this is the cast remelt all your alloy and flux the living daylights out of it and start over.

What I did because I had the same issue with my 4-20, I've got little if no drip now after I cleaned my alloy better.

armyrat1970
01-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Cast with a Lee 10 pounder for many years until the heating element or something went out. It just would not get hot anymore. Was drooling over the 20 pounder and it was a good excuse to buy. Haven't used it yet but biting at the bit to give it a run. Just waiting for the football season to be over to get back into casting with a vengance again. After the Saints win the SuperBowl, I will run it through it's paces. Sure it will take a little time to get used to but I have a feeling I will really like this pot. Also don't like cold weather much and waiting for it to warm up a little. Don't know how you guys up north can cast outdoors during the winter. It is hot as hell down here during the summer but that is when I do most of my casting. But of course I'm an old weldor and fitter by trade (or used to be) and don't mind the heat much. Don't care much for the cold even though I skied 2 yrs. in the New England area. But I was much younger then.