PDA

View Full Version : first batch .40 cast boolits

twally
01-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Today I cast my first batch of .40 boolits, and want to know how long to let cure before sizing or can freshly cast boolits be sized right away?

And also I used a Lee mold that is 175gr. tc the boolits droped at 182-183gr. is this normal to be a little heavy? the lead is straight ww with nothing added.

The dia. was .402- .404 this should be cured with the sizer.

One more thing, every thing was going fine the cavitys were filling out the boolits looked great and then after about 100 or so one of the cavitys started to drop wrinkeled boolits and the other is still good. the one that was bad is close to the sprue plate hinge, would it be possible that some Bull plate lube got in the cavity and caused this to happen? how do I cure the problem?

Thank's

Phat Man Mike
01-26-2010, 04:27 PM
can you post some pic's please?

Nate1778
01-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Cotton swab the cavity with denatured alcohol and try again. See if the wrinkle goes goodbye. Mine did the same thing, cleaned it and kept on keepin on.......

twally
01-26-2010, 07:26 PM
can you post some pic's please?

I don't have any of the wrinkled bullits I threw them back in the pot.

Phat Man Mike
01-26-2010, 07:29 PM
I size mine the next day ! how much bullshop did you put on?[smilie=s:

twally
01-26-2010, 07:55 PM
I size mine the next day ! how much bullshop did you put on?[smilie=s:

I used a q tip soaked with BULLSHOP AND i APPLIED AFTER about 20 cycles to the sprue plate hinge pin and to the allignment pins on the inside of the mold.

ghh3rd
01-26-2010, 08:43 PM
I dip the qtip cotton just barely into the Bullshop, then rub most off on the edge of the container. That leaves me enough to squish some into the moving parts (hinges), and enough to rub onto the sprue plate, and ribs/grooves that fit together when the mold closes.

Someday, I am going to tip my bottle of Bullshop over by using a qtip with gloved hands, and then I'll take the time to figure out how to keep that from happening again :-)

Randy

Phat Man Mike
01-26-2010, 11:13 PM
:groner: I must be a tight wad because I only use a Q-tip with just a lil dab on the end ! and then while casting wipe off any extra !!!! :holysheep

mooman76
01-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Allot of times when one bullet drops good and not the other it is a venting problem. Loosen the sprue and see if it cures it.

WHITETAIL
01-26-2010, 11:29 PM
:idea:When ever I mould a boolet.
I only use a tooth pic.
To add lube to the pin.
But I also only use my lube from the sizer.:cbpour:

Intel6
01-27-2010, 04:58 PM
The bullet weight is normal with WW's. 183 is what I get out of the same Lee mould.

Neal in AZ

DukeInFlorida
01-27-2010, 05:08 PM
The Lee 2 cavity molds are much more sensitive about over heating or under cooling. You have to be careful about preheating the mold properly, and drop bullets at the right time, and allow the die to cool just the right amount.

There's less of an issue with the 6 cavity version of the same die. I struggled with Lee's 2 cav dies until I decided to try their 6 cavity version, and was amazed at how easier it is to run.

Wrinkled just means that that area of the die was cool.