PDA

View Full Version : New Powder New Powder

StarMetal
04-28-2005, 11:03 AM
IMR just come out with a new powder called TRAILBOSS and it's specially formulated for cowboy action shooting and cast bullets. It's very bulky for filling up the large capacity cartridges such as 45 LC and 44-40. This is acheived by, get this, making the powder grains donut shaped. Deputy Al and both our Troopers should love this stuff.

Joe

sundog
04-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Donut, you say? Well, maybe, but it has to come with choice of beverage and, of course, be free. I know, that was totally uncalled for..., but I just couldn't help it. (he-he-he). Al, Bret, and the rest of you LEO types, really do appreciate ya!

So the real question is, does it work, or is is just marketing stuff for sales? Where does it fall on the burn rate chart? sundog

Bass Ackward
04-28-2005, 12:06 PM
IMR just come out with a new powder called TRAILBOSS and it's specially formulated for cowboy action shooting and cast bullets. It's very bulky for filling up the large capacity cartridges such as 45 LC and 44-40. This is acheived by, get this, making the powder grains donut shaped. Deputy Al and both our Troopers should love this stuff.

Joe

Joe,

What happened? Just wake up? That is an old powder. Heck it has been out for 30 days or so and was even discussed on the old board. Sheesz Got me excited for nothing.

StarMetal
04-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Bass

Anymore reports on the bubblegum lube?

Joe

StarMetal
04-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Sundog

Ya know, making other powder grains donut shaped might be a great idea to bulk them up for cast bullet shooting. I understant that just making the grain donut shaped isn't all that has to be done. Donut shape would increase the burning surface so the burning deterant to control the speed of burn would have to be modified too.

I agree, with a name like Trailboss it should come with a coupon for a free three pound can of coffee. Hey, how about grinding the coffee grains to donut shape for more enhanced flavor?

Joe

45 2.1
04-28-2005, 01:48 PM
There are a couple of articles on Gun Blast about using Trail Boss, one title is Trail Boss and the other about the 25-35 cartridge.

fecmech
04-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Looking at the data on Gun Blast to me is somewhat underwhelming. I shoot 4.2 of Bullseye behind a rn 158 with an extream spread(12 shots) of 26fps and sd of 11 fps. In the .44 spec again for 12 shots 7.0/231 gives me an es of 45fps and sd of 16 fps. Other than the saftey aspect of the bulk for double charge I don't see much advantage, at least in those two calibers. Nick

KCSO
04-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Here in middle earth that powder should be available locally in about 2025 or so. I shure would like to try some, but with hazmat shipping I don't think I am going to pony up the $20 bucks a pound it will cost. I would really like to try it in 44-40 as the powder should give some support to the bullet.

Bent Ramrod
04-30-2005, 10:38 PM
If it's a modern version of a "bulk" smokeless powder, it ought to be good for .32-40, .38-55 and .45-70 as well. Several people on the SASS Wire site have tested it out in handguns, and to a man were very pleased with the performance.

Like you, KCSO, I figure I'll be seeing my first can of the stuff on the dealers' shelves out here about a week after the gun store gets a consignment of laser-ray blasters for sale. :grin:

Bret4207
05-01-2005, 08:11 AM
I saw a blurb for something called "Pinnacle" that sounded more like a bulk smokeless. Have to try and find it again.

BOOM BOOM
05-02-2005, 01:22 AM
HI,
Didn't hodgen buy out the IMR people?