PDA

View Full Version : Best Suggested Alloys for 322GR HP 45-70 Lyman Mould

Surfdog
01-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Folks,

I've bee bitten by the bug, and I'm looking forward to casting a bunch of hollowpoint bullets for my Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. These will certainly be hunting bullets primarily for deer and an occasional hog or two.

What are you suggestions for an appropriate alloy for this mold, and what velocities do you suggest in loading for said alloy.

Lastly, I'm considering getting a HP mold for my 1911 .45...would you suggest the same alloy for this application (plinking, handgun hunting, and the like).

Best Regards

Surfdog

HammerMTB
01-24-2010, 11:56 PM
I have one, and can tell ya what I'm pursuing, anyway....
I'm using 50/50 WW/Pb, and paper patching.
At present, I'm shooting 1500 FPS with no leading at all, which you would expect with PP.
I hope to raise the vels some once the PP is well verified.
This should expand well, and penetrate thru all but the toughest game animals.
Oh, and I'm using a 340 gr Lee FP, not a HP boolit.
With a .45 cal, you really don't need much if any expansion, but if you want some, it's not hard to create.
I do prefer and expect a large exit wound so if the shot is not instantly disabling, there is a good blood trail.

webfoot10
01-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Hammer, Put a piece of paper in the nose of that Lee FP mold. It will make a splitnose
bullet, that will collapse in on itself, realy opening up the wound channel. The solid bullet
would pencil right through a deer, while they would kill them. I got tired of tracking them
down. With the split bullet cast soft, will stop just under offside skin, putting all it's energy
in the animal. Haven't had to chase one since.
webfoot