PDA

View Full Version : OT-WC846 with FLGC question

Trailblazer
06-04-2006, 06:28 PM
I have been using up my odds and ends of 7mm bullets for rifle silhouette. Doesn't do much for the score but keeps things interesting!

Over the last several months I have been using a load of 40 grains of WC846 with the Sierra 100 grain Hollow Point in a 7mm-08 for chickens and pigs. That is a light load but it has worked OK through the cooler months. Hodgdon's start loads are 42 grains of H335 and 43 grains of BLC-2 with a 100 grain bullet. I have been a little concerned about it because of potential problems with light loads of ball powders. In fact last month I bumped the charge a couple grains, but then I couldn't get the scope adjusted low enough to hit chickens. So for yesterday's match I went back to the 40 grains. Temps were around 90 degrees yesterday. Four or five of the 20 rounds had a noticeably louder report and a different tone. Several people behind the firing line noticed it. I couldn't see any significant difference in the trajectory. I am wondering if I am getting into a potential SEE situation here or something similar?

felix
06-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Yes, different noises for each shot during a sting of shots is one indication that something ain't right. Add the PSB and the noise(s) should stabilize, and so shoud group size. ... felix

Trailblazer
06-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I suspected it wasn't a good sign! I have never tried the PSB. Might have to order some. Is there any brand I should look for?

Group size could use some help. They stay inside 2" but smaller would be better.

felix
06-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Brand name not important for the PSB, plastic shot buffer. There is a preferred place to get it though, but I don't have the addy handy. It might or might not improve a certain load, but it will at least keep the load consistent whether the gun is pointed up or down. If you like your current load, drop the powder amount to protect against some over pressure possibility, or change in barrel vibes. Raise the powder amount back up slowly to match or exceed the accuracy the load was without the buffer. ... felix