PDA

View Full Version : BP muzzleloader pistol load?

lwknight
01-23-2010, 08:39 PM
I can't seem to find anything on loading my 44 cal replica. Its a Pedersoli made in italy. no model number or anything like that.
I can't even find what ballistics to expect.
The rifling's are very slow like maybe 1 in 30 or like that.
I did load some BP and wheat flour on top. It made an impressive double boooom!
But now I got the bug and want to shoot it for real.
Any info or references will be appreciated.

Kuato
01-23-2010, 09:04 PM
is it a revolver or single shot? pics would help..

Muddy Creek Sam
01-23-2010, 09:32 PM
25 to 30 gr 3f.

Sam :D

lwknight
01-23-2010, 11:03 PM
is it a revolver or single shot? pics would help..

Its a singleshot. Are revolvers called muzzleloaders too? maybe thats why I had trouble googling info.
Looks just like the pistols from the civil war era.

Kuato
01-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Blackpowder revolvers are referred to as cap & ball revolvers. the one you're describing sounds more like a "New Orleans ace" pistol type or a boot pistol.
I shoot cap & ball revolvers & the load that Muddy Creek Sam gave above is on the money for revolvers of that type. Not sure if it would work for a single shot pistol..

lwknight
01-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Well, I'm learning a little bit. This is not my picture but it exactly what I have.
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv246/lwknight/Old%20Stuff/pedorosi.jpg

powderburnerr
01-24-2010, 12:21 AM
you need a dixie gun works catalogue , they have all sorts of good info, on black powder shooting and loading andjust all kinds of good stuff'...............Dean

mooman76
01-24-2010, 01:04 AM
On pistol calibers I like to start about half the caliber in grains so start at about 20 grains fff and you can go up to about 30. If you want a plinking or light load you can drop it down some. They concider revolvers muzzle loaders too because you load from the front.

01-24-2010, 01:12 AM
They're really very simple and fun to shoot. Agree with the light powder charge. Maybe 25-30 grains of BP. Any number of muzzleloader how to books/guides would be of great help for the details.

Make sure to clean well!!! Remove nipple to clean. Easier to remove barrel for cleaning. Use hot soapy water on a jagged patch, rinse with hot water, swab dry, oil lightly, also clean and dry nipple, replace nipple.

First thing is to get some roundballs and some kind of tight weave cotton patching material. You can drive a tapered, slightly over-sized lead slug (tapered fishing sinker, 45 cal soft lead rifle bullet, etc.) at least partly into the muzzle to get an idea of the bore and groove diameters. You'll want a ball diameter plus 2x thickness of the cotton to equal a little larger than the bore diameter but LESS than the groove diameter.

Drop about 25 grains of BP in. Ligthtly wet a patch. Place patch over muzzle and center ball in patch. Push down to contact with powder. Cap. Fire.

A really handy accessory for those is a vertical stand for loading. It takes three hands to load or clean one in the field or at the range. :)

lwknight
01-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks guys,
That gives something to work with. Its been a long time since I have dealt with a total mytsery item in the gun world. This is fun to learn and no doubt will be a hoot to shoot the rooty tooty aim and shooty.

R.M.
01-26-2010, 11:35 AM
I'd replace the wheat flour with grits/cream of wheat/corn meal. In a single shot gun filler isn't as useful as it is in C&B revolvers. You can still use it, don't get me wrong, it does make for a good seal, and helps scrub out the bore every time you shoot.

lwknight
01-27-2010, 01:31 PM
I only used the wheat flour out of meanness. You get a double BAH-BOOOM that way because the flour ignites just as it gets out of the muzzle.