PDA

View Full Version : Primer prices today @ show

Marvin S
01-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Went to the gun show today and there where lots of primers in various brands to be had anywhere from $28.50 to about 40 some dollars per M. I bought a thousand pack of CCI LR for the $28.50 and asked the dealer what his take on this was and he told me he was making money at the $28.50 price, so take it for what is worth.

felix
01-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah, he was selling 50 percent over his cost if he is a volume dealer in primers. ... felix

Vly
01-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Good the hear the supply problems have eased and some sanity is returning to pricing.

Sprue
01-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Stopped in Gander Mtn yesterday just to kill some time. They had various CCI's for 4.99 per 100 pk. Yikes! There is only one other place that may have primmers in stock around here but I haven't been there in a while. Last time I checked they were 39.00 per 1k. Glad I stocked up a before things went - crazy.

Faret
01-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Recobs target shop here in WI has no primers but shotshell yet.

mike in co
01-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah, he was selling 50 percent over his cost if he is a volume dealer in primers. ... felix

yes but...only large volume dealers...my cost is closer to 26-27 per k...i could not sell at 28.50 and stay in business.

some guys cheat the system...buy as a class 6(commercial reloader)..big price break..and then sell off "excess" retail.....
35-40 at todays gun show.

mike in co

41cal
01-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Stopped in Gander Mtn yesterday just to kill some time. They had various CCI's for 4.99 per 100 pk. Yikes! There is only one other place that may have primmers in stock around here but I haven't been there in a while. Last time I checked they were 39.00 per 1k. Glad I stocked up a before things went - crazy.

Gander mountain has always had primers around here when no one else did and they have a 300 max limit.But, at 4.99 per hundred. That is why they still have them.

I purchased LR and LP at other stores for 30.00/1000.
keep looking they are out there.

jr545
01-23-2010, 08:48 PM
I for one am glad pricing is slowly settling down.
The last scare in '93(if my memory is right) took quite a while to come back to sane here in these parts.
I got weak around thanksgiving and purchased a thousand fed small pistol mag primers...40 freaking dollars! Took me twenty minutes to get on line as I just hated the thought.
I'm below my comfort zone but that clinched it. I won't be buying anymore at the prices we are still seeing around here.

Bullshop
01-23-2010, 11:03 PM
About two months ago I ordered 100K at about $17.00 per K.
I buy as a class 6 manufacturer. When I do I have to sign an agreement to only sell these primers in loaded ammo. I have so far never had anyone check up on that but I guess they could. The thing is for me if I sign an agreement I have to honor that agreement, even if I don't sign but just agree. Even if no one would ever know if I sold some at least two people would know the truth. It ain't worth risking hell over!
BIC/BS

Vly
01-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Wow, $17 per K and the manufacturer is still making money. Someone has made a ton of money over the last year.

MtGun44
01-23-2010, 11:58 PM
At the Topeka show today they were at least becoming available, many dealers had
primers, in all the sizes, too. Only problem is that they were priced at $35 to $40/1000.

Still too much for me to start buying again. Still working on my old stock.

Bill

snowtigger
01-24-2010, 04:44 AM
I haven't looked anywhere but Sportsman's Warehouse lately. They did have shotshell primers and SOME small pistol primers. The sp's are selling for $3.99 per hundred.
The most I've had to pay is $30.00 per k, except one time. I was out of LR mag primers and heard that Sentry in North Pole had 'em. I got there and they had lots of them. At $53.00 per k , I only bought 1k. I figured they might go higher and I had NONE at the time. I won't go back. Since then, I bought 1k from a guy who was moving south for $20.00. It pays to be in the right place, sometimes.

JSnover
01-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Paid @32/1000 yesterday at a local shop

LAH
01-24-2010, 09:15 AM
yes but...only large volume dealers...my cost is closer to 26-27 per k...i could not sell at 28.50 and stay in business.

some guys cheat the system...buy as a class 6(commercial reloader)..big price break..and then sell off "excess" retail.....
35-40 at todays gun show.

mike in co

My cost is 'bout the same as Mike.......................Creeker

LeadThrower
01-24-2010, 09:37 AM
I walked into some luck. I was able to buy a thousand Remington small pistols at Sportsman's a two weeks ago for $33 out the door. It was one of the two they had on the shelf, and there was a sign telling customers only 1000 primers per customer per day.

oldhickory
01-24-2010, 09:42 AM
"Hit or Miss" gunshop here locally has always had them at fair mark-up price which right now is $27.00 @1000 for std. and $28.00 @1000 for magnum. I'm a loyal customer there and will continue to be. :redneck:

corvette8n
01-24-2010, 09:43 AM
I did order some Wolf from Grafs about a month ago, none of my local gun shops have primers except for some 209's.

Sprue
01-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Gander mountain has always had primers around here when no one else did and they have a 300 max limit.But, at 4.99 per hundred. That is why they still have them.

I purchased LR and LP at other stores for 30.00/1000.
keep looking they are out there.

Like I said, I don't need primers. However I travel throughout most of the state on almost a daily basis. That said I know where / who is stocking components or whatever and pricing. I can be selective and make purchases when I find value, not because I'm near or running on empty. Currently, the best prices that I'm aware of was $38.99 per K on primers if, they still have them.

As for Gander Mtn, their pricing is a flat out joke. I only go there for entertainment purposes and to stretch my legs. But until recently their shelves were bare like most any other vendor.

Back to Primers, they still seem to be a little scarce in my region. As for you and others out there, I 'm seeing some darn good prices being quoted.

Daryl
01-24-2010, 10:18 AM
My local shop is right about $34 on almost all. The "match grade" are about $40.

How do people handle the supposed fire regs limitation of 10k stored in a private residence? As a group, we need to advocate for higher limitations on that and published, acceptable storage means.

There does not seem to be punitive provisions for excess; but unexpected civil litigation is always a risk. For example, would your insurance company limit its liability if you had more than this stored and something happened? Would the neighbors sue you because your "reckless disreguard for fire regulations" caused additional harm.

mike in co
01-24-2010, 10:58 AM
My local shop is right about $34 on almost all. The "match grade" are about $40.

How do people handle the supposed fire regs limitation of 10k stored in a private residence? As a group, we need to advocate for higher limitations on that and published, acceptable storage means.

There does not seem to be punitive provisions for excess; but unexpected civil litigation is always a risk. For example, would your insurance company limit its liability if you had more than this stored and something happened? Would the neighbors sue you because your "reckless disreguard for fire regulations" caused additional harm.

don't ask, dont tell.......

no one ever told me, and i'm not asking.......

if it is not a LAW in your area...dont worry about "reccomendations", "suggestions", "guidelines"

evan price
01-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Used to be you could get Wolf primers for under $20 a thousand from Powder Valley or Grafs or any of the big places. Wolf raised their price so now CCI is the same price.

I stopped buying primers during the scare, I did a group buy for 250,000 a year ago that took 9 months to finally get resolved. I've got enough to last me a while but I always look for bargains.

The great primer scare of 1992, prices did finally drop about ten percent but they also went up nearly 25%. So no great recovery there. I doubt we will see any permanent price drops on any ammo or components to pre-"O" levels, ever.

Consider that US.gov surplus powder and such will no longer be sold on the surplus market, but instead destroyed. Currently, whatever surplus is available (precious little!) is priced at about 90% of cannister powders. Gone are the days when you got a paper bag full of powder for $3.

Buy cheap, stack deep, and be prepared.

GabbyM
01-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Wolf being a foriegn company. Dollar has dropped against the Euro and about every other currency in the world. I think it ended last year down 19% to the Euro. I know in October it was down 18%. That's on top of about equal fall in 2008. However you jumble the numbers against a basket of foreign currency you can just call it a third. Then add to the price of Wolf primers the retail markup. Since I'm pretty sure they have increased their margins as supply is tight.
after all they have to increase by a percentage to keep real value markup in line. That's the inflationary part. BTW pump price for gasoline is predicted to go back over $3 by early spring.
I wouldn't look at having a hoard of primers as a good investment against currency devaluation but some do. Always diversity though so I have more in my closet right now than I've ever had.