PDA

View Full Version : SHOT Show Shummary

Rocky Raab
01-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Here’s a quickie summary of my SHOT Show observations. I concentrated mostly on reloading, not guns or optics. In no particular order, here we go:

Lyman will offer an economical new lead melter called the “Big Dipper” for about $40 retail. Their all-new 4th edition of the Cast Bullet Manual will be out by summer.

Barnes will offer a 50-gr TSX bullet designed specifically for 1-14” twist at 22-250 speeds.

Winchester will offer a new lead-free rimfire round and a .410 self-defense load that contains three copper “sluglets” plus a charge of large shot.

Hornady has finally perfected their power case trim and prep station. It features power trim, shaving collection, plus power chamfer (inside and outside), primer pocket cleaning, flashhole deburr and more. They will also offer a one-piece powder dispenser and scale with simplified controls; also on tap is an ultrasonic brass/parts/jewelry cleaner with large capacity.

Browning will introduce an X-Bolt Micro Hunter as a well as stainless/carbon fiber versions of the full-size X-Bolt. The A-Bolt will continue in production as well.

ATK/Federal will introduce a lead-free 16-grain 17 HMR round, a Lead-free Short-Range 22 rimfire round at 1600 fps and a TNT Green bullet as loaded ammo only and component bullets to come. Primer production has been increased to help meet demand.

RCBS has packaged a die cleaning kit of aerosols and also offers a chronograph that stores the screens inside the chronograph body for easy transport; retail price about $150.

Alliant confirms their recent announcement of a series of spherical propellants (made at the St Marks facility in Florida) with the Varmint powder due in June. They also will introduce a blackpowder substitute called Black Dot.

Nosler will join the lead-free parade with a copper-matrix core version of their Ballistic Tip. Regular lead-core bullets will continue at full production.

Redding will offer a Versa-Pak reloading kit that will allow customers to pick the press they prefer.

Forster introduced a 3-in-1 cutter head that trims, inside and outside chamfers simultaneously. Their popular Co-Ax press now comes with either short or long handles and has an increased window opening to handle rounds as long as the STW or UltraMag cartridges.

Hodgdon has introduced the cultishly popular IMR8208XBR powder for benchrest and varmint-sized rounds. It is not exactly the same as the long-vanished surplus powders known by that number, but does duplicate its performance with modern powder technology benefits as well.

CVA announced their first-ever centerfire rifles, offering the Scout for small-stature shooters as well as the full-size Apex. Both are single-shot break-action rifles chambered in 243 through 35 Whelen. (Scout in 243 only for now.)

mike in co
01-23-2010, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE=Rocky Raab;788266]

Hodgdon has introduced the cultishly popular IMR8208XBR powder for benchrest and varmint-sized rounds. It is not exactly the same as the long-vanished surplus powders known by that number, but does duplicate its performance with modern powder technology benefits as well.

QUOTE]

i just rec'd 6 more 8lb jugs.....and i have not shot it yet.
this powder is based on the milsurplus 8208/t32/etc.
it is not a match but better than anything else on the market today.

i have not shot it yet , but have reports in both 6ppc( its intended use) and 308 win.......both shooters wanted more powder if that is a clue.
i will shoot it in 308win br and ????
( this is a powder that likes high pressure)

mike in co

AZ-Stew
01-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the report, Rocky. There are several items you mentioned that I'll be looking for.

Regards,

Stew

johnlaw484
01-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Any word of the S&W guys the Feds arrested at the Shot Show. With all the anti gun talk we don't need gunmaker dealing under the table. If they want to do that be a politician.

:veryconfu

Mike Venturino
01-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Smith & Wesson guys arrested at the SHOT Show????? What in the world is that about?

sqlbullet
01-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Smith & Wesson guys arrested at the SHOT Show????? What in the world is that about?

Summary here. (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/01/20/fbi-arrest-sw-exec-and-20-others-at-shot-show/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheFirearmBlog+%28The+Firearm +Blog%29)

Short version is an exec got caught in an FBI sting on bribery charges.

Mike Venturino
01-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Right. I googled it. I know a few of the S&W guys but they're all lower echelon than that.

MLV

Rocky Raab
01-25-2010, 11:12 AM
BTW, Mike, everybody in the "club" says howdy and best wishes. They missed you.

Mike Venturino
01-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Rocky: Thanks. As I said somewhere else all those well wishers sure helped my spirits during those 10 days I was in the hospital.

Mike

Rocky Raab
01-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Speaking of hospital, were you aware that we may be about to lose the Grand Curmudgeon of Gundom? Ken Howell is in ICU again, and this may be the last time.

He'll welcome it.

Intel6
01-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Is it me or does the Lyman "big dipper" pot look a lot like a Lee pot with all the aluminum painted black?

Neal in AZ

MT Gianni
01-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Speaking of hospital, were you aware that we may be about to lose the Grand Curmudgeon of Gundom? Ken Howell is in ICU again, and this may be the last time.

He'll welcome it.

Sad news indeed.

azrednek
01-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Winchester will offer a new lead-free rimfire round and a .410 self-defense load that contains three copper “sluglets” plus a charge of large shot.

Looks like Winchester is trying to take advantage of the Taurus Judge hype. An employee at a local gun shop told me the Judge is one of the hottest sellers he has seen in years.

CVA announced their first-ever centerfire rifles, offering the Scout for small-stature shooters as well as the full-size Apex. Both are single-shot break-action rifles chambered in 243 through 35 Whelen. (Scout in 243 only for now.)

I'm always glad to see a factory chambering of 35 Whelen. Barrel maker and custom rifle builder Harry McGowan told me a few years ago that 35 Whelen is his most requested non-magnum chambering and he didn't understand why every rifle manufacture didn't offer it. 35 Whelen is one definitely of my favorites and probably one of the most under rated cartridges. Seems like the barrel burning ultra fast mags is what all the young shooters want for their first rifle purchase.