PDA

View Full Version : 311284 seating depth

nick
06-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Looking for agood starting point for seating depth with lyman 311284 in my 1903 mark 1 springfield. Lyman manual shows 3.06 loaded lengthbut this puts the gas check into the case,which I've read isnt desirable with cast bullets. If I seat so that the gas check is still in the neck its about 3.350 aol , some resistance is felt closing the bolt and first full size band is lightly engraved by rifling. is this ok starting point?
thanks

45 2.1
06-04-2006, 12:33 PM
As long as it fits in the magazine, feeds, seats and ejects, your doing fine.

nick
06-04-2006, 01:24 PM
No, it wont fit the magazine , can only be single loaded if seated so that the gas check is in the neck of the case. I guess thats my question. not having experience with a cast bullet this long. If loading just for target shooting do all you 311284 users usually seat to keep the gas check in the neck?

45 2.1
06-04-2006, 01:39 PM
I just shoot it in the militaries and it does fit the magazine when its seated to keep the check at the very base of the neck without any lube exposed to the powder. Try it and see how it works first. BTW welcome to the forum.

StarMetal
06-04-2006, 01:58 PM
I was going to say, I've had quite a few 1903 Springfields and I never had a problem with the 311284 in them. In fact it was the most accurate bullet for me. It fit the magazine, gascheck didn't go past the neck/shoulder junction, and they ejected.

Joe

nick
06-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks, I've been browsing for awhile. Looks like a very nice forum, lots of good information. Im not new to reloading but dont have much cast bullet experience. Have only used lee 160 gr cast in the 06 and lee 340 gr and purchased 405 gr bullets in 45-70. The 311284's are also purchased.wanted to try some before I bought a mould. I tried them again . They do fit the magazine, but dont cycle smoothly.
thanks

Char-Gar
07-01-2006, 10:32 AM
I seat 311284 with the top lube groove just below the mouth of the case. Feeds ine through the magazine and gives good accuracy. I am not talking about that scraper groove...I am talking lube groove.

Bass Ackward
07-05-2006, 11:23 PM
My records show 3.34. That is where the first band makes contact with the leade.

Larry Gibson
07-06-2006, 07:38 AM
No, it wont fit the magazine , can only be single loaded if seated so that the gas check is in the neck of the case. I guess thats my question. not having experience with a cast bullet this long. If loading just for target shooting do all you 311284 users usually seat to keep the gas check in the neck?

Nick

My notes show I loaded the 311284 to an OAL of 3.26" which had the top lube groove (not the scraper groove) covered and the GC just inside the neck. The magazines of '03s and '03A3s will generally take rounds loaded to a max OAL of 3.35". I think the problem may be you have the magaxine cut off in the "off" position. This shortens the distance from the bolt face to the front of the magazine to around 3.1". Thus it may be only appearing that your loaded rounds are too long. Hard to say without actually seeing what you're doing but that's my guess. I've done that mistake myself.

If that's not the case then take a look at what you're calling "inside the neck" as far as the GC is concerned. Only the top rim of the GC need still be inside the neck, not the whole GC. Adjusted thus might get you a little shorter OAL and fit the magazine.

Larry Gibson

nick
07-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Larry, you are correct. After I first posted embarrassingly realized that I had the magazine cutoff on. I think the feeding problem was moving the bolt too slow.when the bolt is cycled at nomal speed they load and extract ok. I loaded some today at 3.26 oal ,which does leave part of the gas check in the neck. Now if I can only find time to do some shooting!
thanks for your replies
Nick