PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to wait!

shootinxd
01-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Ok,I have just finished casting up a couple hundred rounds,I want to size,load and shoot.How long do they have to dry between steps.Using lee bullet lube(alox?).:Fire:

blikseme300
01-23-2010, 08:36 AM
I have used a small box heater-fan blowing warm air over the LLA-lubed boolits in a metal pan. Takes about 30 minutes to dry.

Bliksem

wilddog45
01-23-2010, 08:39 AM
When using alox I usually give them a light coat and then run them through the sizer. Then I take them and coat them again and then put them on some waxpaper on an old cookie sheet and let them dry overnight.

dudel
01-23-2010, 10:16 AM
I cut the LLA 50/50 with mineral spirits. Seems to dry quicker and coat more evenly.

DukeInFlorida
01-23-2010, 10:49 AM
That's what I do also. Actually, I have to thin more than that when I am using the White Label Xlox. It's thicker.

Butt end down on wax paper, and an electric fan makes them dry to the touch in mere hours.

I cut the LLA 50/50 with mineral spirits. Seems to dry quicker and coat more evenly.

Slow Elk 45/70
01-23-2010, 11:01 AM
As stated above, if you approach this with time in mind , you should be able to dry and load within an hour, +1 for 50/50 mix,,dries that much faster with less mess and you get the same results from the lube...good casting

mooman76
01-23-2010, 11:03 AM
If you want to save some time you don't have to have 2 coats of LLA. Spray some sort of lube on your bullets like case lube, run them through the sizer and then coat with LLA.

bigboredad
01-23-2010, 12:33 PM
heat your boolits before lubing them I use a old hair dryer. they'll in about 15 minutes to half an hour

gray wolf
01-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Kids!!! gotta do everything fast ???

young bull says to the old bull hey pop,lets run down that hill and make love to one of those cows---old bull says son lets walk down and make love to alllllll the cows.

Ben-WSU
01-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I am new to this, but I found that if the bullets were outside they dried fast.

I placed the bottle of LLA in a can of hot water and let it warm up until I could shake the bottle and hear the liquid. Then tumble lubed as described on the post on sticky in the lube section (except using 100% LLA). Turn out onto a piece of wax paper.

Seemed to dry inside of a couple of hours.

mpmarty
01-23-2010, 01:10 PM
What's the rush?
Ya gotta sleep anyway. I work in the evenings on my hobby and the last thing I do is tumble lube. Next morning I'm ready to go.

shootinxd
01-23-2010, 06:48 PM
I was going to try the Johnsons paste wax and mineral spirits.mixed with alox,Hope this will dry overnight.My hobby is in the garage(SW Colorado is mighty cold this time of year).

lwknight
01-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Someone, I forget who heated up the boolits in the oven to about 300 degrees and tumbled then in a glass jar with diluted alox. He said that they were ready to load in 10 minutes or so.

243winxb
01-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Liquid Alox application

Best results in applying liquid alox are when the alox is heated before applying, or thinned with paint thinner. This makes it flow more easily, and results in a more even coat. One technique is to boil water and pour it into a coffee mug, and then drop the bottle of liquid alox into the mug for about five minutes.

Place your freshly cast bullets into something about the size of a Cool Whip bowl and drop a few drops of liquid Alox on the bullets. Mix the bullets around until they are all coated. Lay the freshly coated bullets on some wax paper to dry. Liquid alox will usually dry enough overnight to reload the next day, depending upon the humidity. Tacky bullets can be dusted with powdered graphite.

If you subscribe to the "more is better" line of thought, your coated bullets may never dry. Don't go for a "golden" color but rather just a light varnish. If you discover that your bullets are sticky the next day, you can get by with using a little less the next time. Keep reducing until the "stickiness" is gone by the next day.

If you are sizing your cast bullets, it is necessary to lube them first. Because the sizer will remove some of the surface of a larger diameter bullet, you may need to re-lubricate the bullets after they have been sized.

Many of our bullets are of the "TL" or Tumble Lube design. These bullets have many shallow grooves that are perfect for allowing Liquid Alox to adhere to a great amount of surface. It has been reported that the accuracy of these bullets is high. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi

Freightman
01-23-2010, 07:59 PM
I had a piece of a gallon of WD40 I had used to get glue off of a hard wood floor(works better than solvent and not as flammable), and I don't use WD40 on anything else I like Kano stuff better. I also had a 1/2 gallon of Alox, so I heated the Alox and got it where it would flow,did it in my Bar-B-Q grill and mixed the two together. It covers better than any other way I have tried and dries fast. Also I now have a gallon of "ALOX" instead of a 1/2 gallon.

snuffy
01-24-2010, 12:19 AM
If I want to cast and load the same day, I tumble lube, then stand them on their bottom on cardboard. Then I put them in my oven @ 150-175 for an hour. They come out dry and slightly warm. The cardboard keeps the bases mostly clean, so if it's a GC boolit, you don't have a layer of alox between the check and the lead.

WHITETAIL
01-24-2010, 08:37 AM
:bigsmyl2:+1 with marty.

shootinxd
01-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Going to try a couple of these and see which one works best in this COLD climate.Thanks ALL

runfiverun
01-24-2010, 11:51 AM
lw,,,actually that was a woman that posted the heat speed method.
it's worth a look if you are in a hurry.

243winxb
01-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Snuffy said @ 150-175. Placed mine on top of a boiler @160, ready to go the next morning using XLOX. Low humidity with warmth should work (oven).