PDA

View Full Version : lubersizer die storage

SciFiJim
01-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Does anyone make a storage box for multiple Lyman or RCBS sizing dies? It would be nice to have them indexed and handy in a box on the bench.

blikseme300
01-23-2010, 08:54 AM
For my Star dies I made up a container using two blocks of oak and a 1" Forstner bit. The upper and lower blocks each have 2 rows of 5 holes each. Each hole is drilled about an 1/8" deeper than half the height of a die. The holes do need to match up. This is the same as many other older tooling containers for tools such as bell punches, end mills, etc.

Bliksem

Patrick L
01-23-2010, 08:57 AM
I've not tried this, but how about one of those MTM molded plastic shotgun shell boxes? That's what I use for my RCBS Little Dandy rotors.

I think sizer dies would fit in there.

Bret4207
01-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Like Pat says- shotgun shell storage box. I got a 20 gauge I think, works great.

BruceB
01-23-2010, 09:29 AM
I don't use a storage box, but the smaller-size prescription bottles from the pharmacy keep my sizing dies dust-free. Each bottle has a plastic label-maker tape applied to it with the size of the die printed on it.

Keeping the bottle near the lube-sizer tells me instantly which die is installed, without having to peer at those tiny numbers on the die itself.

The bottles with the dies are stored on top of the 8-foot eye-level fluorescent light over my bench, in a rack made from a simple 1"x4" plank. All I had to to do was bore a line of 1" holes down its length. Access is dead easy, and identification is instantaneous.

Shiloh
01-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Good suggestions.

Mine are in the original container. The wax residue left over makes them hard to remove again.
They are almost welded in.

Shiloh

zuke
01-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Empty film canister's from any photo deveopment place. Usually free

anachronism
01-23-2010, 10:12 AM
I keep my dies in a clear Plano plastic box, designed for fishing lures. They all fit in one box, with room for future expansion, and mine seals airtight so the lube on the dies doesn't pickup any dirt or dust. There's room for punches, tools and gas check seaters and everything. This way, everything is together, which makes it difficult to lose anything.

mooman76
01-23-2010, 10:50 AM
I keep mine in the original plastic tubes from Lyman and have them in a multi purpose clear box like you can find in the craft section of walmart. They are close to the perfect size but it make it easy to see all the sizes I have. I also have my Lee sizer dies that way to save space from all those big Lee plastic boxes.

Bullshop Junior
01-23-2010, 11:30 AM
100 round shot gun shell boxes.

We have a extra tray in ours. Very easy to sort them out, so it is easy to find the one you are looking for.

geargnasher
01-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Here's what I do, maple 1x2s drilled with appropriate sized holes (paddle bits +drill press) and cut to fit a convenient box.

Gear

canyon-ghost
01-23-2010, 02:26 PM
To find a bigger tube with more room and enough 'give' to make removal easy, I use torch tip boxes from a welding shop. They're just bigger than the Lyman tube and square so, that the lube doesnt have as much contact. They have the slip fit tops on them and stack on the shelf good.

buck1
01-23-2010, 02:54 PM
I use the plastic drawer sets and a bit of wax paper.

Doc Highwall
01-23-2010, 03:29 PM
I have been making up the Plano 2-3500 utility Box in individual calibers with sub compartments storing a boolit and top punch. In my 30 cal I have two sizer dies .3095" and .310" along with a boolit and top punch that fits each of the 30 cal boolits for my two 30-30's and 308.

Shepherd2
01-23-2010, 05:36 PM
MTM 20 gauge shot shell box.

SciFiJim
01-23-2010, 09:46 PM
I keep mine in the original plastic tubes from Lyman
The two I just ordered came in a blister pack with no tube.

Charlie Sometimes
01-23-2010, 09:57 PM
I keep my dies in a clear Plano plastic box, designed for fishing lures. They all fit in one box, with room for future expansion, and mine seals airtight so the lube on the dies doesn't pickup any dirt or dust. There's room for punches, tools and gas check seaters and everything. This way, everything is together, which makes it difficult to lose anything.

This is about what I do. You can find various sized tackle boxes to keep everything in so it's handy and easily visible. If you wanted you can use the small medicine bottles too, for extra protection in the box.

I like the idea of the 20 ga. shell holders, too, if you have a lot of them.

94Doug
01-23-2010, 10:01 PM
I found some storage containers at a hobby store that work great. I'll try to post a picture later..... I think they hold 6, so I keep one for each caliber I cast for.

Doug

Bullshop
01-23-2010, 10:36 PM
I use an MTN 100 round 12 gauge range box. They have two 50 round stackable trays and the dies fit perfectly. Keep them in order of caliber and diameter and they are easy to find. My box is nearly full and I have been using the same one for about 10 years now. Very tough lockable box well suited for the job. Actually I have two, one for lube dies and one for push through dies.
BIC/BS

SciFiJim
01-23-2010, 10:53 PM
My needs are fewer. I think I will order one of these next time I place an order with Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=840607

Tim357
01-23-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't use a storage box, but the smaller-size prescription bottles from the pharmacy keep my sizing dies dust-free. Each bottle has a plastic label-maker tape applied to it with the size of the die printed on it.

Keeping the bottle near the lube-sizer tells me instantly which die is installed, without having to peer at those tiny numbers on the die itself.

The bottles with the dies are stored on top of the 8-foot eye-level fluorescent light over my bench, in a rack made from a simple 1"x4" plank. All I had to to do was bore a line of 1" holes down its length. Access is dead easy, and identification is instantaneous.

I use 35mm film cans and a label maker

Bullshop
01-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Thats a nice little box but not as tough as the range boxes. Maybe with only 10 it will not have to be as tough.
With 80 or so dies in my box it is heavy and needs the extra toughness.
BIC/BS

badgeredd
01-24-2010, 12:33 AM

Very similar to my set-up. I like the prescription pill bottles because I can see at a glance what is where. I mark the side of the bottles with a black felt marker to aid in identification at a glance too.

Edd

miestro_jerry
01-24-2010, 02:44 AM
I had many made that don't have containers, so I use old pill bottles that have a good seal.

Jerry

mroliver77
01-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Pill bottle and tackle box here.
Jay

Springfield
01-24-2010, 08:53 PM
I use an old plastic shotgun shell box for my Star dies, fit perfect.

plumber
01-25-2010, 10:02 AM
I cut up the plastic tube that my lube comes in. One for the die one for the punch.

crawfobj
01-25-2010, 10:10 PM
I KNEW I was saving all of those prescription bottles for a reason!!!

Bob J
01-26-2010, 08:09 AM
I use an old plastic shotgun shell box for my Star dies, fit perfect.

This sounds like what I need for my Star dies.....

A quick question though..... Discussion so far is around both 12 and 20 gage boxes..... Which would be the best size for my star dies....?