PDA

View Full Version : New projectile for lott

charger 1
06-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Posted this once,but it didnt take, so We'll give er another go.Man thats irratating for a one finger pecker like me...Anyhoo,buying this mold with the idea of running it out of my lott..I will be slightly hollow pointing them(for accuracy only) then turning the rear band off for a GC...My prob here is the same as usual, I like things to run at their peak,ie I will be running a 458 lott at 2300+fps lott speed and pressure. This will be comming out of a ruger 77 which unfortunately comes with the standard ruger gravel road bore(lots of radial machine marks).The mold is saeco. My lube is as always lyman super moly.Well can you picture all that as a 400 yd gonger? Wonder what my min hardness should be?Powder will be my friend H4198..
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Chargerdive/91_1.jpg

Bass Ackward
06-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Charger,

Wow. A lot of work for the effort. I like the idea of what you are doing, but I would suggest designing your own bullet once Dan get's back to being operational. I think you would find more flexibility if you didn't have a bore ride design and that it would already come with a GC shank. You have a ton of space to fill both in the throat and the case with that caliber. You can fill both and still obtain the velocity level you are contemplating. Especially with the 4198 class. (4198, H, RL7 and my favorite volume filler, AA2015) I got a sneakin suspecion though that 3031 is going to become your friend. :grin:

Your velocity is certainly attainable as I work often up to that range, just not with that much weight because of smaller case capacity. So as long as your bore smooths up to allow higher pressure with lead, you should be good to go. But smooth up it must.

I got my Remington 700 in 30-06 a decade back and tried a fairly stiff load with a hard cast because I had read Veral's book. It should have only beed 40,00 psi. I broke the gun in with over 100 jacketed rounds before I tried this and still I stuck the case. Now I shoot more of the same powder with an even softer bullet all the time. But it took me 400 jacketed rounds to do it. Just start low ......

charger 1
06-07-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm gettin exited. I hear ww's plus 1.5% tin drop a boolit out of this with a nose of .451" ..My bore is .4505.....Oh boy oh boy..I see nickle groups at the hundred

versifier
06-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Man thats irratating for a one finger pecker like me...

That must come in handy. Mine doesn't have any fingers at all....[smilie=1: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Some times you just can't resist.....

charger 1
06-07-2006, 03:29 PM
That must come in handy. Mine doesn't have any fingers at all....[smilie=1: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Some times you just can't resist.....

Oh I knew it was commin. I wasnt stupid enough to think that in 6billion there wasnt one as twisted as I

BUT What I dont understand is why my wife keeps sayin she loves me so much more than other guys wives...OH WELL

charger 1
06-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Well they still gotta be heat treated but I just had to lube one up and take a pic. I decided against the Hp until I see how they fly first.I mean their commin out of the lee sizer within .0003" concentric with a nose thats perfect size for size to the bore. In any cas if G.W. runs outta stuff to hurl at the iraqis,I'm going on contract..Seriously,any guesses on the BC of this girl? http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Chargerdive/HPIM0755.jpg

Bullshop
06-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Did I mis sumpin? In the first post it looks like you have a saeco mold for a pb boolit. In the last post I see what looks like a boolit from the saeco mold but with a gas check attached. Is that right?
I will soon be loading for a lott for a customer. He will be using it to cull bison. I got a mold for it from cbe in austrailia for a 550gn fngc. Should have dies and brass next week and give it a go. Am interested to hear how your project shakes out.
BIC/BS

charger 1
06-09-2006, 04:36 PM
No you didnt mis nutin
I just molded some with a saeco bore ride mold. stuck em in my unimat lathe and spun the rear drive band off to put a GC on

Bullshop
06-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Yup I knew I missed sumpin! Do you have a target velocity you will be shooting for? I have that same saeco mold and its been a hummer for bpc, but I have other designs that are more check friendly.
I sold a rifle recently and just received the jingle so am also looking at a rifle a friend had made up. Its a Ruger #1 in 460 wetherby. He used it for a caribou rifle but only shot BP in it. I have an NEI mold for a 570gn DD gc boolit and thats what he used for caribou. Said a case full of ffg weighs about 160gn and slapps caribou over quite nicely. Hasnt used it for a number of years and said he is about ready to sell. Its the heavy barrel as it was rechambered from a 458. If I get it I plan to wring it out at 45 cal then rebore it to 50. Looks like school may be in session soon.
Keep us posted on the lott, want to hear all details!
BIC/BS

charger 1
06-10-2006, 05:50 AM
If I told you the FPS I'm shootin for you'd laugh. Their cast around the 30 bn and I'm going to drive em as fast as I can without a big long smear up the bore. So who knows...Keep ya posted

Bass Ackward
06-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Its a Ruger #1 in 460 wetherby. BIC/BS

Dan,

Things must be goin well iffin you are lookin at a 460. Well before you get to reborin, try plinkin with some 400 grainers at about 2400-2600 fps. You have the king of 45 caliber, soft launching systems with a shoulder to burn the slow stuff. These velocities are possible with 32,000 to 34,000 psi so you can get by with ACWW if you want. But those velocities will flatten out 35 BHN too.

Just in case you want to know. :grin:

charger 1
06-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Bass akwards, you had the right thought. The 3031 seems about right. So far to make a round hole and put them in the same proximity to each other its 47 grs of 3031 to fly it at just shy of 2100. And oddly enogh things can be to hard. The straightest fliers are just quenced ww's..No heat treating,so their around 21-22 bn..I'm not dissappointed at not getting my 2300. The mold casts them out with GC's on at almost 550 grs. A fairly severe hunk of hurtin..So I'm going to cast up some more and break out some new brass cause the stuff I was using had some wear and tear,and take em for a full range revue

Bass Ackward
06-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Bass akwards, you had the right thought. The 3031 seems about right. So far to make a round hole and put them in the same proximity to each other its 47 grs of 3031 to fly it at just shy of 2100. And oddly enogh things can be to hard. The straightest fliers are just quenced ww's..No heat treating,so their around 21-22 bn..I'm not dissappointed at not getting my 2300. The mold casts them out with GC's on at almost 550 grs. A fairly severe hunk of hurtin..So I'm going to cast up some more and break out some new brass cause the stuff I was using had some wear and tear,and take em for a full range revue

Charger,

That's not bad.

I was guessing that it would puke at about 1900 really. Even with the GC. If that bullet was even 70/30, bearing area/to bore ride, then .... you could get 2300.

Just glad you are going the right direction.

BOOM BOOM
06-11-2006, 01:03 AM
hi,
OUCH.
My boy Stuart keeps talking about selling his 444 marlin & getting a real african cal like the 458 lott.
Maybe I should tell him to stop talking about it & do it.
Then I would get to shoot it at least once.

Randy in Arizona
06-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Its a Ruger #1 in 460 wetherby. He used it for a caribou rifle but only shot BP in it. I have an NEI mold for a 570gn DD gc boolit and thats what he used for caribou. Said a case full of ffg weighs about 160gn

So that works out to a 45/160/570 - - Ouch!:veryconfu

I think I'll stick with my 458 Win on an '03 Springfield and the Suppressed 45-70 on a Ruger #3A.