PDA

View Full Version : Range was fun today, educational too!

Newtire
06-03-2006, 10:29 PM
First off, I went & done it against all common sense & shot some cast bullets out of my Ruger Deerfield. I can see maybe that the gas porting involves an angle to get into to clean out. Unless you remove the gas piston, probably won’t be able to get it clean. Anyhow, I shot some of the 298 gr. 310RF Lee boolits. Water Dropped at about 18 hardness on the Lee scale. (Fanciest I have gotten so far with all the measuring gadgets). Sized them .431 to seat the check...gotta get that .432 Lubrisizer sizer now. A load of 13.5 gr. Alliant 2400 failed to cycle the action enough to get the empty out of the way. 20.0gr. Win. 296 did the trick. (I came upon alot of various stuff cheap at a co-worker’s moving sale...normally don’t have any kind of variety in powders, bullets & other stuff but now I seem to have alot of cool things to play with! Enjoy it while I can.). I ran some j-word bullets thru it also but got nowhere near the consistency of grouping I did with cast bullets. Of course, I was only shooting Hornady & Remington 240 grainers. The Lee really fed great without any hanging up and the magazine allowed seating out to 1.645” in both of the magazines I got with the gun. Groups of 3-shots were as small as 1” @ 50 yds. up to 2 ½” for 5-shot groups. Some 3-shot groups were 2”. I was pretty impressed. Didn’t weigh any of these or anything but checked them pretty close for physical defects. Lubed them all with LLA & then smeared w/Felix Lube (Newtire1st release). Found just a shine around the muzzle back about ½” which (if I understand right) means that the lube is just about perfectly used up. So anyway, that baby was a perfect success if you ask me.
I won a mould about a month ago on E-bay. It was a 4-cavity 311241 casting a 125 gr. (including gas check) bullet. Looked to be just the ticket for my M-1 carabino. I had real great success with the Oregon trail 115 gr. plainbase and 12.5 gr. H-4227 earlier. Weyill..I tried 12.0 gr. Alliant 2400. Bullets were water dropped, LLA lubed, sized .309” (bore slugs a meager .3075”) and seated out to 1.675” just to fit in the magazine. Damn things shot all over the place! Guess might try shooting them air cooled...will do that next weekend...And will try H-4227...Advice...Don’t load 200 of anything unless you have tried them out first!
The other cast loads I shot afterwards shot very admirably.
Something funny, 3-other guys were up there shooting G.I. Carbines. One guy had a “Scout” scope. He was shooting LC-72 ammo. About 4” @ 50 yds. Another guy had a regular aperture sighted Winchester G I . He was shooting Wolf ammo, same thing accuracy-wise. The other guy was shooting “Storebought” reloads of some kind and having jamming problems. He said the “jammers” were all over the max. oal.
I will get some cards made! Thinking back, I could have made some possible new friends, but in today’s world of “keep away” policy, I sometimes forget that this is the way friendships start. What if that guy had been Dr. Phil or maybe even Oprah. (in disguise of course) We can change society’s thinking I tell ya. All these guys that were shooting carbines were doing much worse than me with my cast bullet assortment. With the exception of the lousy performance of one bullet design (or perhaps haven’t found the right combo yet) I outshot even the guy with the scope. I am 56 and wear bi-focals.
My 30-30 Ackley Improved I bought will have to wait for a report on as the scope I put on it (an E-bay bargain) took a big dump. I did find out that the key to fireforming is to do it with Max. loads seated out to put the bullet in the lands-cast bullet that is! I got a bunch more nice cases out of this trip though. Now to buy another scope!
That’s all there is to print this weekend. Haven't had this much fun in a long time!
Newtire

Frank46
06-04-2006, 03:29 AM
Newtire, didn't the chinese make a lot of M1 carbine ammo with a LC 72 headstamp?. Seem to remember seeing it somewhere. From what I have heard its junk. Glad you had a good day at the range. Frank

Newtire
06-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Hey Frank,
Thanks for the reminder! I read that over on the www.Amback.com forum in the M-1 carbine forum too! The guy who posted also has pictures of how to tell. Thanks again.

44man
06-04-2006, 02:29 PM
You are not done yet, that .44 Lee boolit shoots better with 20.5 to 21.5 gr's of 296. Don't load 200 without trying more powder.

Bucks Owin
06-04-2006, 02:39 PM
You are not done yet, that .44 Lee boolit shoots better with 20.5 to 21.5 gr's of 296. Don't load 200 without trying more powder.

I'll have to try some W-296 in my 10" Blackhawk...
I've used 18.5 grs of H-LilGun* with good accuracy FWIW..

Newtire, glad you had a good range session. There's nothing finer than "powder smoke in the morning" :D

Dennis

*WW cases

bisley45
06-04-2006, 08:00 PM

listen to 44man he knows