PDA

View Full Version : Stevens falling block--tang peep sight

blackthorn
01-22-2010, 11:04 AM
I have this old falling block in .22LR with a tang mounted peep sight. I need to know how to adjust the sight. The sight looks like it was "stock" from the factory. The markings on the rifle are:
On the left side of the action:
TRADEMARK
STEVENS
REG US PAT OFF & FGN
On the left side of the barrel:
22-LONG RIFLE
It also has the number "4" inside a circle stamped into the barrel just in front of the action.

On the right side of the barrel it has
J STEVENS ARMS COMPANY
Chickopee Falls. Mass. U.S.A.

This rifle has a 26" round barrel with a hooded front peep. It has the wide forend. Any information you have with respect to this firearm will be appreciated especially regarding how to do adjustments to the tang mounted sight. I would like to have posted a picture but alas I do not have that level of expertise.(Ludite dontcha know?)

Bent Ramrod
01-22-2010, 01:46 PM
If the tang sight has a square holder with the sight disc on a sort of flat "ladder," you slightly unscrew the disc (turn counterclockwise half a turn) move the disc and holder up or down as needed, and retighten. Some disc holders also have a horizontal slide which can be moved right and left when the disc is loosened as well. You should be able to see this go back and forth.

If the sight has a knurled screw going through the disc holder, you loosen the disc, turn the screw to move the disc holder up or down as needed, and retighten the disc.

I once had a disc that was screwed in so tightly I had to go to a machine shop that had a collet holder. I selected the proper collet for the disc size, clamped it (gently) in, and turned (gently) the whole sight; this, after a liberal dousing with Liquid Wrench. It came off with little effort. Don't use pliers or a vise if you disc is stuck; you'll mangle it for sure.

blackthorn
01-24-2010, 08:35 PM
My rifle has the knurled piece. Thank you for the advice.