PDA

View Full Version : Last bullet left in mold

mran1126
01-21-2010, 10:57 PM
I was given a Lyman single cavety mold by a friend who's father passed away. He left the last cast bullet in his mold with sprue plate closed. What is the best way to heat the mold up to Knock the sprue plate open? Or should I just take the sprue plate off to heat the bullet up? Thanks for your help.

Bent Ramrod
01-21-2010, 11:03 PM
If it's a single cavity, you should be able to knock the sprue off cold.

docone31
01-21-2010, 11:08 PM
You should be able to just push the sprue plate open.
It is only lead.
Don't beat on it, just push it open.

01-21-2010, 11:10 PM
mran1126,

Once you have it out, give it to your friend as a rememberance of his father.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Tapping the sprue plate should cut the sprue on a single cavity and the bullet should come out with another tap or two on the handle hinge. Leaving a mold that is made of (cast) iron with a bullet cast in it is, in the opinion of some, a way to prevent rust from forming in the cavity. In my experience it doesn't work, especially in jigh humidity situations. No prob with an aluminum mold, but to begin with why do it as aluminum can't rust. Or brass for that matter. But with an iron mold use some other method for storing the mold. There is much info on file on the forum regarding this. LLS

mran1126
01-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks for your replies. Yeah, I guess a single cavity shouldn't be too tough...I just didn't want to hurt anythng.

TAWILDCATT
01-22-2010, 04:35 PM
put a drop of oil on the bullet in the mold and close handle.the bullet with sprue helps to keep mold closed in storage.I put molds (iron) in plastic zip lock bags.