PDA

View Full Version : Good afternoon to cast

ebg3
01-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Cold and raining this afternoon so I fired up the Lee 20lb pot and cast 2500 or so boolits. I just bought a Lee 6 cavity mould for a 175gr .40 boolit. It actually worked quite well. I did have to stop a couple of times to clean it up a bit but other than that it made some purty boolits. I had the temp set as low as I could go to keep things from getting too hot. I need to buy another sixer and run two at a time. Then I could really pump out some boolits!
EG

Rich219
01-21-2010, 08:28 PM
How is using two molds quicker than using one? I assume you can't run them at the same exact time?

HORNET
01-21-2010, 08:53 PM
If you're running 2 molds at once, you don't have to stop or slow way down to prevent overheating. There are limits to how fast a mold can shed the heat that's entering it from the melt. Some casters even run 3 molds. Others will run one mold fast by cooling it between pours with a damp pad or a spray from a plant mister filled with water (don't get it into the cavities).

ebg3
01-22-2010, 08:33 AM
How is using two molds quicker than using one? I assume you can't run them at the same exact time?
I don't think it'll 2X my production but it will increase it and help keep the temp down. Also if one of these high quality moulds starts acting up the other one may allow me to keep casting.:)
EG

Shiloh
01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
I don't think it'll 2X my production but it will increase it and help keep the temp down. Also if one of these high quality moulds starts acting up the other one may allow me to keep casting.:)
EG

Fill one, put it down and let it set. Fill the next one and put it down. empty the first one and repeat. You get a rythm going and watch the mountain of boolits grow.

Shiloh

Calamity Jake
01-22-2010, 01:01 PM
I always cast with 2 molds at a time, been doing it for 30+ years.
Just this week I used a 4 cav 44 mold and a 2 cav 38(both iron) at the same time. After molds were up to good temp I would fill the 44, set it down and dump and fill the 38 twice then back the 44.

ebg3
02-01-2010, 09:10 AM
We got snow and ice this weekend so I sized/lube about 800 .40 boolits Saturday, loaded 500rds of .223 and cranked the pot up yesterday and cast 2500 more .40 boolits. Now I need to find the time to load .40 ammo and to practice!
EG