PDA

View Full Version : Tiny proj. but would like opinions

charger 1
06-03-2006, 06:45 AM
I've got this here saeco mold commin. Saeco is good stuff and I like the idea of lots of little grooves as opposed to a few big ones,ecspecially considering my project.I have a ruger 77 458 lott. Since africa its a closet queen..So I got me an ideaer...I'm goin to do some 4-500 yd gong ringin with er. I'm going to pour some of these bullets, stick em in my lathe, turn the back band off to accomodate a gascheck. Turn them around and mildly HP them,not for killing improvement,but in hopes of some gain in accuracy as opposed to the little flat point...Heres the questions. Given that I like a magnum to perform like a magnum,what minimum hardness would you's recomend when GC'd and lyman super moly lubed..The way I see it theres to issues. Like I said,I wont except less than 2300fps, and rugers have gravel road bores. I mean the radial machining marks,pre rifling in that bore are shameful...
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Chargerdive/91_1.jpg

shooter575
06-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Charger,I aint no lathe expert but how you gonna hold them? Chuck would be out of the question.Collet maybe,but I think it would still mar up the boolet unless it is damm hard?
Turning lead would seem to me be gummie to turn and stick and grab the tool.I have tried to turn some pure Al and copper.Nether one turned worth a darn.
Maybe a split 2 piece epoxie blocks that could be set in a 4 jaw would work?Gonna need lots of support to keep from bending the boolet.
Sounds like a interesting project.Keep us informed

charger 1
06-05-2006, 10:55 AM
I've held lead before in my unimat for HP's and such. Its pretty gentle,and runs within .0005 as opposed to the norm .003 of most 3 jaws...I'm not worried about how to construct these. I'm worried now about the lack of drive surface mentioned earlier..All the speed with a short drive surface may indeed cause it to be a smearing inaccurate mess

dk17hmr
06-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Your going to turn cast bullets? Will that work?
Couldnt you modify the mold easier?

Im interested keep us updated!

DK

NucEm
06-07-2006, 06:54 PM
It seems to me that this would generate more problems than usuall:-D
About the hollow point part, you think that bullet would perform better with a hollow point please then tell my why? That small flat point is propably better centered than the hollow cavity ones tries to put there:)
If it was me, i would rather try to use a gc upside down between the bullet and powder and cast the bullet as hard as possible:-D
The gc would surely fly in another direction after leaving the barrel but if all of them do the same no harm for the accuracy:)
That strange looking hollow gc that Corbin tries to sell as the "best there is" would propably be a dead ringer for that bullet but then you need a special swaging tool to put them together:twisted:

Buckshot
06-08-2006, 05:03 AM
...............NucEm, Metford proved way back when the Brits were the kings of long range muzzle loaders that a HP did in fact shoot better then a solid. Even their .577 Sniders featured a HP. If you look at the majority of the jacketed match bullets you'll find them to be HP's.

I've read why a couple times but that technical stuff makes my head hurt so I can't relate it here.

...............Charger, 2300 fps eh? I'd just go ahead and start with linotype if it were me. Maybe even heat treated lino. If that works then soften it up a bit. Better then starting too soft and wasting all the components working with harder and harder alloys.

After shooting, take a couple aspirins, place a damp cloth across our forehead and lay down on the couch in a darkened quite room :-)

...............Buckshot

charger 1
06-08-2006, 05:38 AM
...............NucEm, Metford proved way back when the Brits were the kings of long range muzzle loaders that a HP did in fact shoot better then a solid. Even their .577 Sniders featured a HP. If you look at the majority of the jacketed match bullets you'll find them to be HP's.

I've read why a couple times but that technical stuff makes my head hurt so I can't relate it here.

...............Charger, 2300 fps eh? I'd just go ahead and start with linotype if it were me. Maybe even heat treated lino. If that works then soften it up a bit. Better then starting too soft and wasting all the components working with harder and harder alloys.

After shooting, take a couple aspirins, place a damp cloth across our forehead and lay down on the couch in a darkened quite room :-)

...............Buckshot

Hp's typically out perform other points because the theory being that if we cant be sure the air flow over the point wont hurt accuracy,remove it..If it's not there it cant hurt flow....PS. I carry pills for my head irregardless of what 500's I'm shooting outta this pig..And you aint kidding. I think these puppies wanta be darned hard