PDA

View Full Version : Big Hog

454PB
06-02-2006, 10:17 PM
I received this via e-mail. Do you really grow them this big in Florida?

The fellow in the pictures is Larry Earley. He lives about 30 miles from Orlando, in the very rural community of Okahumpka, just off the Florida turnpike in Lake County, Florida. He has 20 acres of land and on it, a few cows and horses. Mostly it's pasture land that is fenced with woods surrounding him.

He is neighbored by a larger cattle ranch.

His neighbor has complained for several years that wild hogs had been raiding his cattle feeders and salt licks.

Last month he saw what he thought was a cow in his pond and went to see if it was stuck in the mud and would have to be pulled out. When he got close enough to realize it was a hog, the thing made a charge at him. He had driven his truck down to the pond and carries a pistol in it (as any Florida redneck would, and I say that with genuine affection). He got his handgun and when it came at him again, he shot it twice and killed it.

Wild hogs in Florida usually run from 100-400 pounds with a 400 pounder being a monster. Because this one had been feasting on grain for several years it had grown to mammoth size. When Larry took it to the processor it weighed in at over 1100 pounds! The meat has no wild taste, as it was grain fed; and Larry is quite the hero. He has fed many fireman and provided the homeless shelter in downtown Orlando with a couple of meals.

waksupi
06-02-2006, 10:46 PM
This one has been around for awhile. Go to Snopes for the real story.

6pt-sika
06-03-2006, 04:49 AM
I think i saw an article in one of the huntin mags about this . I think they called the hog , "HOGZILLA" .

DOUBLEJK
06-03-2006, 07:14 AM
Well Snopes says it's true....
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bighog.asp

Bret4207
06-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Kind of hard to say from the photo angle, but I've raised a few hogs that went over 650-700 at 2.5 years old. Given enough time and grain it's possible.

versifier
06-03-2006, 02:42 PM
When my youngest was six, I took her and one of her friends to the Oxford County (Fryeburg) Fair just over the border in Maine. In one of the pig barns there was a sign over a pen that said "1000lb Sow" followed by the breeder's name and other info. The girls were checking out the piglets at the other end, so I walked down to check her out. It was a double pen, about 4x8, with a 36" high gate topped with another 12" of plexiglass to discourage the little ones from reaching in. She looked to be about the size of a compact car. The owner was on the other side scratching her back with a garden rake and she was leaning into it grunting with pleasure. A young boy, about seven or eight was looking in with eyes wide. Along comes this grossly obese woman and pretending the kid didn't even exist she used her vast bulk to push him out of the way, almost knocking him down, calling to her friends "Hey, come here and see this giant sow!" The kid pipes up "Yeah, and I bet she weighs almost as much as you do, lady!" The whole place heard it, and people were looking for something to grab onto while they laughed (for obvious reasons, a pig barn is no place to roll on the ground laughing). When I had finally caught my breath, there was no sign of the fat lady.....[smilie=1:

6pt-sika
06-03-2006, 04:07 PM
When my youngest was six, I took her and one of her friends to the Oxford County (Fryeburg) Fair just over the border in Maine. In one of the pig barns there was a sign over a pen that said "1000lb Sow" followed by the breeder's name and other info. The girls were checking out the piglets at the other end, so I walked down to check her out. It was a double pen, about 4x8, with a 36" high gate topped with another 12" of plexiglass to discourage the little ones from reaching in. She looked to be about the size of a compact car. The owner was on the other side scratching her back with a garden rake and she was leaning into it grunting with pleasure. A young boy, about seven or eight was looking in with eyes wide. Along comes this grossly obese woman and pretending the kid didn't even exist she used her vast bulk to push him out of the way, almost knocking him down, calling to her friends "Hey, come here and see this giant sow!" The kid pipes up "Yeah, and I bet she weighs almost as much as you do, lady!" The whole place heard it, and people were looking for something to grab onto while they laughed (for obvious reasons, a pig barn is no place to roll on the ground laughing). When I had finally caught my breath, there was no sign of the fat lady.....[smilie=1:

Thats just wrong ......... but I love it :drinks:

AkMike
06-03-2006, 06:58 PM
That's alot of bacon and chops! Wow!

Bucks Owin
06-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Yeah, that one and "Hogzilla" have been all over the net with plenty of different stories. I'd say there's more "domestic" than "wild" in that particular speciman....

FWIW,

Dennis