PDA

View Full Version : Lubing Lee mould.

JeffinNZ
01-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Team.

I have a Lee double cavity 6.5 Cruise Missile about to touch down in NZ. My experience with Lee moulds is near nil as I am a diehard CBE fan but Jimmy did not have a bullet phat enough for my Carcano.

I have read the instructions on the Lee site regarding their moulds but do not use Alox based lubes. What you you guys using to lube the critical parts of Lee moulds.

I do have some Rooster HV red lube on hand. Would this be suitable?

shotman
01-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Kroil --- Kroil ---- Kroil all you need

RobS
01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Bullshop sprue plate lube.............the lube that a aluminum mold dies for. The Bullshop is a sponser here and scoll down to the bottom of the page to head to their site. Great people............great products............great service.

Shiloh
01-19-2010, 11:28 PM
+1 to Bullplate from Bullshop.

Shiloh

chris in va
01-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Instructions on the 9mm mold I have says to use silicone spray, which seems to work just fine.

HeavyMetal
01-20-2010, 12:07 AM
MY experience is Bullplate lube or antisize.

Use of boolit lube usually nets you a mold covered in a brown crust that refuses to come off!

Ben-WSU
01-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Bullshop sprue plate lube in use here and I am liking it.

I am new to casting and first tried Lee 50/50 beeswax/alox lube. The switch was easy to make when I couldn't open the mold due to the front pin sticking. With the bullshop lube everything is good now.

jack19512
01-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Team.What you you guys using to lube the critical parts of Lee moulds.

Lee two cavity molds are all I have, around 17 or so now. Got a new one on the way right now. I do not lube my Lee molds anymore. Have not had one single problem because of no lube. I don't even smoke my molds either. And yes, I have read the instructions that come with every mold. :smile:

ph4570
01-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Husqvarna 2-cycle chain saw oil works well. I would guess other brands would be ok.

JIMinPHX
01-20-2010, 12:39 AM
I use hi temp grease from the auto parts store. It works OK, but Bullplate is probably better.

Hillyard
01-20-2010, 04:31 AM
Bull plate needs a better ordering process. You should be able to order and pay online but can't find it.

JeffinNZ
01-20-2010, 05:27 AM
Thanks guys. Mould, dies etc arrived today. Pretty tidy mould for a mass production $19.00 item I have say and man alive is that a loooooooooong bullet!!!

blikseme300
01-20-2010, 07:47 AM
I clean the new molds using brake cleaner. Then I inspect and debur, if needed. The cavities are smoked using a dollar store lighter (the long ones). I then use a soft carpenters pencil, which I strip about 1/2" clear tip, to lube the sprue plate and top of the mold blocks by rubbing it to deposit a nice thin layer of graphite. Yes, I do remove the sprue plate to be able to do the pivot area.

Treat these molds right and they will yield 1000s of perfect boolits.

Bliksem

http://bliksemseplek.com/boolits.html

JIMinPHX
01-20-2010, 11:11 PM
I've tried the pencil trick & it's cousin, soapstone. Neither seemed to last very long.

Wayne Smith
01-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Jeff, if you haven't gotten the point, it's Bullplate Lube. Order a couple of bottles, he's still using the round bottom ones and, besides, you will want to use one, or at least half, to make speed green boolit lube.

Recluse
01-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Bull plate needs a better ordering process. You should be able to order and pay online but can't find it.

Why?

I just toss some cash in an envelope and mail it. Always get what I need. It's fantastic stuff and Dan, Tina and family are as good and honest of folks as there are in this world.

I kinda like the idea of doing business person-to-person, cash, and on a more personal level.

And yeah, Jeff, Bullplate is the cat's meow for aluminum moulds.

:coffee:

fourdollarbill
01-21-2010, 05:00 PM
If your looking to cast right away I would go to the auto parts store and pick up a small bottle of "never seize" to use. Just use a q-tip and rub on a small amount to anything that moves or touches another. This way you can use your mold while you order up some Bullplate. It takes a week or so to get but well worth it.

JeffinNZ
01-21-2010, 05:15 PM
I did send an email to the Bullshop some time back but never got a response.

jack19512
01-21-2010, 06:59 PM
In the past I tried anti-seize, the high temp stuff and for me anyway it just seemed to make a mess of my mold. Got my new mold yesterday and scrubbed it 3 times with dish washing liquid and boiling water. No lube and no smoke. Just dried it and put it into service. Worked great.

MtGun44
01-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Bull sprue plate lube should be provided by Lee with every mold. I believe Miha
DOES provide it with his aluminum molds.

Do yourself a favor and get some. Lots of people that have used lots of other stuff
absolutely swear by this lube on ESPECIALLY the very soft Lee molds and it is also
great for cast iron and mehanite molds, too.

Bill

SciFiJim
01-22-2010, 02:11 AM
I believe Miha DOES provide it with his aluminum molds.

I don't know about Miha, but I DO know that SwedeNelson supplies a sample with every mold he manufactures. A little of this stuff goes a long way. I've got six NOE molds and have barely started to use up the first 1/2 oz bottle.

Jeff, if you didn't get a response by email then PM Bullshop on this forum. I've had no trouble the couple times I contacted them. The Bullshop Sprue plate lube really is worth the trouble to get.

dromia
01-22-2010, 02:41 AM
Can't imagine using a non Bullplated mould now.

It is excellent stuff and no caster should be without it.

Its clean with it, doesn't leave mucky residues on your mould.

Has lots of other applications too, from bore conditioning to being half of Speed Green lube.

ghh3rd
01-22-2010, 02:44 AM
+1 on Bullshop. When I started casting things went so-so. There was a HUGE improvement when I started using Bullshop. One little bottle lasts forever - put a drop on a que-tip, rub most off on the rim of the bottle, and what's left on the que-tip goes a long way, and works great.

MtGun44
01-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Ok, maybe I was thinking of Swede's molds supplying the Bullshop Plate lube.

Bill