PDA

View Full Version : XD 40 Reloading issues

nightshifter
06-02-2006, 08:47 PM
I have been lurking for a few months and have learned alot. Now I have a question.

I have a 4" XD in 40 and just started reloading. The issue I am having is out of about 100 rounds I will get about 3 that will not chamber all the way and every once in a while the chamber will jam shut and not open with out a lot of coaxing. I am reloading 180 gr rnfp with 1.125" col on a RCBS Piggyback II. I will shoot these out of my glock 27, 22 and mech-tech conversion with no issues.

Any info would be great.

Lee
06-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Sounds like the XD barrel is a little tighter than your Glock.
Out of curiosity, what brand(s) brass you reloading.
Also note that some dies are available for a post-crimp sizing type operation.
(If the bullet is large and "bulges" the case a little bit, a post crimp size will bring it back down in spec, and will chamber easier then. I ran into that problem some time ago with .45ACP in Winchester cases. Would chamber in 1 45 but not another. Quick trip thru the post crimp die solved that problem. (Although it's a pain in da butt ta find that happen to ya when you aren't expectin' it!!!)
Just my $0.02.....................................Lee:)

Shepherd2
06-03-2006, 07:11 AM
I have a Springfield XD 9 that would not chamber reloads that dropped into my CZ 75. The chamber on the XD was tighter. I bought a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die and the problem was solved. The Lee die sizes the loaded cartridge while it is applying the crimp. The cost is only about $15-20 dollars depending on where you buy it. I'll use about any 9mm case I can get my hands on and the variations in different cases aren't an issue anymore.

nightshifter
06-03-2006, 05:27 PM
I got to the range this morning with 100rnds I just loaded and 100 I loaded some time ago that I was having issues with. I cleaned the gun prior to the trip and shot the new loads with zero problems. I shot the old 100 with 2 that didn't chamber all the way. I was able to pull the trigger and the slide then seated but but the primer was never struck. Gave the two bad round to my buddy and ran fine through his Glock 23.

I never thought about the different cases. I get my brass from a local PD and there are several types. I will start making note of the ones that don't run through. I think I will pound out another 400 rounds and see how it goes. The minor tweeks I made may have done the trick.

I should have brought more ammo for my SA Operator though. I just love shooting that thing.:Fire:

Thanks for the info and I will keep it in mind if it starts acting up again.:drinks: