PDA

View Full Version : Going to pull 30-40 rounds. Are the primers still good?

357shooter
01-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi,

I'm going to pull some loads as I messed them up.

Does the banging mess up the primer that's currently in the case or can I leave it? Seems to me I did this once before and had some FTF's that were maybe related or maybe not.

I already have a hammer style puller so that's what I'll be using.

Pete

MtGun44
01-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Yep. I've done it an never had any problems, assuming the primers haven't been subjected
to any other 'insults' like high temps for a long time, getting wet, sprayed with WD40, etc.
Of course, I have never done a very large quantity, so maybe if a couple of percent are
damaged, I might not have run into it. A larger sample may show a few FTF.

Now, no way I would use them for an important match or for self defense or hunting,
but for plinking or practice, what the heck.

Bill

Archer
01-19-2010, 08:49 PM
I've pulled quit a few with a hammer puller, and never had a problem after
reloading with them going off. I'm about to pull about 75 45 long colts, and reload them.
I got them from a guy who knew nothing about them, as he got them in a box of stuff
from a estate sale, so I don't know weather they are factory loads, or reloads, but I'm not going to take a chance on them.

Freischütz
01-19-2010, 10:22 PM
I've pulled lots of bullets and (unless the primer pocket was already loose) never had to reseat a primer. If you're concerned, just run your finger over the case head after pulling the bullet. High primers should be easy to feel.

3006guns
01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Shouldn't hurt anything..........think about it. Primers are pretty tough little guys. They have to stand up to rough handling when the ammo is in the gun, up to and including dropping it (God forbid). If you're worried about primers coming out, just the opposite is true with a hammer style puller. They get driven in HARDER.

I doubt if you'll have any problems. Shoot and enjoy!

wistlepig1
01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
I was given 100+ 30/06 of unknown source. I started pulling them and weighing charges, they were off by 2-3 grains case to case . At this point I pulled all and saved the bullets and brass only. I couldn't trust them or the reloader. Better safe that real sorry!

Tested primers later and they were fine! I used a Forstner puller.

RobS
01-20-2010, 02:08 AM
You will be just fine. I've pulled a few hundred throughout my time and never had a problem with the primers firing on the second go. Good suggestion on not using them for defense or competition though.

Lead Fred
01-20-2010, 02:51 AM
Do it with experimental rounds all the time.

After Ive hammered them, I remove the decapper from my sizing die, and put them up into it far enough to get the neck back to a smaller size. Dont even lube them.

This way my next seat will be as good as the first.

Jim
01-20-2010, 04:47 AM
How old is this ammo?

Crash_Corrigan
01-20-2010, 05:55 AM
I never trust reloads unless I know and trust the skills and integrity of the reloader. Even then I run the first couple of rounds over a chonograph to ensure that we are not dealing with off the chart velocities.

Remember we are dealing with dangerous items here and an ounce of prevention prevents untold injuries or worse.

I cannot tell you how much powder I have discarded onto my roses when it got mixed up or when I disremembered what the heck it was.

I only keep one can on the bench and as soon as I am done reloading I return the remainder from the dispenser back to the marked and labeled container.

If I have any doubt at all I throw it out. Powder is cheap, life is not.

357shooter
01-20-2010, 07:43 AM
How old is this ammo?

The ammo is 2 weeks old.

357shooter
01-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm thinking the cases don't need to be deprimed and primes again! These days primers can be tough to find around here.

jcwit
01-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Use em!

Boz330
01-20-2010, 09:43 AM
I've even taken the primers out and reused them in other things with out problems. But for practice only. As you said they aren't easy to come by or cheap if you can find them.

Bob

Jim
01-20-2010, 07:40 PM
The ammo is 2 weeks old.

Sorry for the confusion. Somehow, I got the idea it was old original.