PDA

View Full Version : Weather Rant

GuzziRider
01-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Wow, for first time in quite a few years the weather is bad enough I cant get much done with my shooting projects. I have had some 405 Win loads made up for a couple of months now that I have not been able to test. I just recieved a new custom mould for the .40-70 Sharps from Steve Brooks that will have to wait on the temps to get above the twenties out in my unheated casting shed to give it a try. Sure hope the rest of you guys are doing better than we are out here on the plains. Keep the posts coming so I at least have something shooting related to read about.:coffeecom

sundog
01-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Yeppers, been an untolerable few weeks here in NE Oklahoma, too. Now that the Christmas blizzard has melted, and the ground has thawed after a lloonngg very cold spell, it's so stinkin' wet and sloppy you can't even walk down range to hang a target. But!!! I did some work on a rifle, and cast some boolits. All was not lost. We even canceled a military bolt match on 9 Jan due to cold/wind. That was the first time in maybe 12 years to cancel before hand.

felix
01-19-2010, 08:36 PM
About perfect here today. Cloudy, though, with almost no wind. Perfect for shooting, however, and casting for that matter with the humidity just about right. ... felix

DLCTEX
01-19-2010, 08:36 PM
When we do get a day or two of moderate weather I have to catch up on work.

Marlin Hunter
01-19-2010, 08:41 PM
We are suppose to have a big storm hit this week in Northern California. I heard yesterday that they had to evacuate some houses close to the coast because of fear of landslides. I'm about 30-40 miles (as the boolit flies) from the Golden Gate bridge and I only got a moderate amount of rain.

MtGun44
01-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Al Gore's fault, never came thru with that promised global warming. :-(

(sarcasm off)

We've had a very hard winter, range is full of snow, difficult to get out there, I almost
got stuck on the range property. Was too cold to even consider going to the range
(besides the huge snow!) for about 3 wks. Starting to melt out now, hope it doesn't
come back.

Bill

geargnasher
01-19-2010, 08:53 PM
It was mostly sunny and 75 today, very light s/e breeze. :razz:

One of the many reasons that no matter where I go, I always come home to Texas.

Gear

sundog
01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Felix, roger that on good shooting day. The he!! of it is you can't get to the target board to post a target.... What a sloppy friggin' mess!

BLTsandwedge
01-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Marlin Hunter- that's odd. I spent two years in your neigborhood- I'm assuming Santa Rosa- and it seemed to me there was more weather up there. If you haven't been hit yet, you'll get it shortly. The last two days here (Pebble) have seen plenty of rain. The generator is ready- for all that my neighborhood is supposta be, a power outage will last from 1 1/2 days to 7 days. Unbelievable.

outdoorfan
01-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Here in Minnesota the temps are pretty comfortable in the upper 20's and lower 30's that I've finally been able to get in some range time. Pretty unusual here to get this warm for a week or more straight, but that's what's happening right now.

jdgabbard
01-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeppers, been an untolerable few weeks here in NE Oklahoma, too. Now that the Christmas blizzard has melted, and the ground has thawed after a lloonngg very cold spell, it's so stinkin' wet and sloppy you can't even walk down range to hang a target. But!!! I did some work on a rifle, and cast some boolits. All was not lost. We even canceled a military bolt match on 9 Jan due to cold/wind. That was the first time in maybe 12 years to cancel before hand.

I agree Sundog. I'm in the same corner you are and we've just had a mess of bad weather. I did manage to get out under my covered patio and do some casting today tho! I cast up about 500 358495s, and about 150 358429s... Pretty good day for the time I put into it, about 2 hours. Not to mention I ran out of ingots. I need to smelt up the rest of my WWs....

Big Country
01-19-2010, 11:33 PM
We have had fog the last few days and they are calling for thunderstorms for Saturday.

runfiverun
01-19-2010, 11:38 PM
we got about 7" of snow this morning, made for some decent casting weather in the garage,once i got the wood stove going.
it did warm up some in the afternoon but is gonna be cold again tonight.

in time for the next storm...

Jayhem
01-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Not too bad in the Mid-Atlantic, 40's today...but it's cooling off. It was near 65 on Monday!

Faret
01-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Not too bad in WI for Jan. Smelted about 200 lbs half for boolets and half for the shotmaker. Casted some .480 and 50 bmg yesterday. Lubing and sizing today.:smile:

gray wolf
01-20-2010, 03:09 PM
---------Maine????????????

________________________FORGETABOUTIT-----------------------------------------

mpmarty
01-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Rain Rain go away come again some other day.

Echo
01-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Rain, Rain, COME BAAAACCCKK...

We had a shower last night, residue from the CA weather that folks are nervous about. Snow on top of Mt Lemmon, 10 miles north and 9400' high. A true Winter Storm for us. Temp in the 60's.

9.3X62AL
01-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Dunno about the Weather Service spin doctors. All sorts of dire predictions, none of which have come to pass so far here (just east of the Sierras/south end). Just substantial rain is all I've seen, and no Arks getting built (as recommended by .gov).

One place I have ZERO interest in being is the ocean. La Jolla (my usual saltwater fish haunt) was showing long-period 14-17 foot west swells with short-period 6-foot south swells, plus 3-4 foot wind waves. Breakers onshore to 25 feet, winds to 40 kt. Nuts, just nuts--like a tsunami going full-auto.

Richard B
01-20-2010, 09:40 PM
We have had it pretty good here in Alberta with temperatures just above zero "C" which should put it around 35 F or so and have had some Chinook winds that have gotten rid of most of the white dirt on the ground.

Unfortunately that is expected to change to below zero C just about the time my .32-20 arrives. This is a little chilly for these old bones but it would not be the first time that I have gone shooting in this weather.

randyrat
01-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Not too bad in WI for Jan. Smelted about 200 lbs half for boolets and half for the shotmaker. Casted some .480 and 50 bmg yesterday. Lubing and sizing today.:smile: Yes sir...Can't beat this weather in Jan. 15 degs at night and 25-30 day time, top it off, icing on the cake, SUNSHINE. I see it's not going to last though. I can't believe the cold weather down south, all the way to Texas.

blikseme300
01-20-2010, 10:44 PM
I am sitting here without a shirt and shorts, 71* at 8:41pm - glorious! Will be above 80* max for the rest of the week as well. BTW, this is our cold season. You don't want to be casting in summer here!

Bliksem