PDA

View Full Version : Two pigs, one Dingo.

lead Foot
01-19-2010, 06:53 AM
The story started when I brought a steer to the horse yard with three day sickness. It was clear it was not going to make it ~ the last one had $200 worth of drugs only to end up shooting it. Well I thought I would use my Smith with RCBS 148wc only doing 700-800fps to put the steer down and off course it did the job well. I towed it to the bone yard by chain. When I stopped I thought I saw movement across the creek HEY it's a pig oh no it's not it has a long tail ~ must be a calf. It turned again and no dout about it it's a pig, so I threw the chain of and the chase was on. There is a track across the creek so down I go ( I forgot to mention we just had 8” of rain ) sliding down one side and making my way up the the other running over a dead rotting cow, smelly guts all over the car. I nearly caught up to him when he went across another creek ~ I stopped he stopped ~ At about 30yards away I put four slugs in him, Now he was about 150kgs (300 + pounds) .The pig didn't like getting shot at much. I tracked him for about a mile and lost him. I thought along the track I better look to see how many rounds I have left cause a wounded pig is not a happy chappy. A week goes by I notice a dead cow when mustering and said to my self I must check it before it gets dark. About 5.30pm I get in my 4x4 and go to check it out. I just bought a new scope for my 7mm-08 which I use for 200 meter cast boolit silhouette ~ I thought I would take that. I sighted it in on a stump at about 50 yards. I only had LEE 130g'ers doing about 1750fps. Any way I come across the cow just under 200 meters a way. I though I saw the dead cows head lift up. On close inspection it was a Dingo sitting just behind the cow. At that range I was not sure about the shot, not a big target ~ so I traveled closer and as I exspected he took off at fast as he would go. So I did the same, I was closing on him when he reched the fence. At about 80meters away I let him have it. I don't know who was more shocked him or me but he did a cart wheel and dropped dead.* One Dingo. After patting my self on the back I turned around and left.Out of the corner of my eye I saw a pig trotting cross the creek. So I gave chase as I get close I stopped and let him have one, whack! Well he went for 90 to a 100 and off course across the creek again. I got close again and fire three shot and three hits ~ he still didn't stop but was slowing down, He finily stopped and down he went. That was one tuff pig, he was only about 50-60kgs.*One Pig.
Well that was enough for one day I thought but was not to be.Coming back I saw a black speck about 800meters away and was moving. I was still in low range which I didn't realise at the time. So the chase was on again ~ my little 4x4 was sceaming to get there before he 's gone. I got to with in 120 meters and he was not traveling to well. At about walking pace I aimed at the ear's and a foot in front and let it go ~ I saw something fly on behind him I thought I had missed, then as he fell I heard the whack. He was still alive when I got there and boy he was not a happy camper.. The shot was good striaght through the front shoulder. Wow that is a big big for round here.*Two Pigs.Now this one looks familiar ~ ah that long tail. Yes it is the one I shot with my Smith the week before. My pistol shooting was not the best that day but I did find a 38 hole in the back leg. That pig traveled over 10ks (6miles) that week.Just another day on the farm.Sorry there is no pics ~ I forgot to take my carmera. I did take my phone but can't transfer the pics to the computer. If anyone has any tips please let me know.
Lead foot;

Ron.D
01-19-2010, 09:52 AM
You're having way too much fun on the job. I don't have access to pig hunting where I am and am envious of those that do. I just came back from a vacation to the southern States and saw 4 black pigs trotting across a field in Florida. I hear they can really tear things up. I get an occassional black bear here, but they're no where near as plentiful of course. That's some great shooting by the way, and keep having fun. Ron.D

MT Gianni
01-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Nice write up leadfoot. Phones are as different as cars when it comes to pics. My last one cane with a mini sd card and I have a device to use the card in the computer.

runfiverun
01-19-2010, 06:20 PM
my daughter e-mails pictures to the computer and it seems to do okay.
haven't figured out the download thing either.

ghh3rd
01-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I'll trade you jobs - I'm behind a keyboard all day.

DLCTEX
01-19-2010, 09:06 PM
I have a data cord for my cell phone to hook it to my computer. You can also send it to your computer if you have a data package with your provider.

MtGun44
01-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Sounds like you need a heavier caliber pistol, like a .44 or .45 ! Good shooting.

Sounds exciting, too. Can I bring my pistols and rifles and help if I come to Auz for a visit?

Bill

WILCO
01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Nice write up leadfoot.

Indeed!

lead Foot
01-20-2010, 03:28 PM
my daughter e-mails pictures to the computer and it seems to do okay.
haven't figured out the download thing either.

You had a good idea runfiverun so I text the pic's to my son, he new how to do it esay but only sent the little pig the one with five holes in em'. I asked him to send the rest. It might take a while he sleeps the best part of the day away.
Lead foot;

lead Foot
01-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Looks like I used up my photo space. Fixded now.