PDA

View Full Version : do i need to use Pam or something?

troy_mclure
01-18-2010, 04:35 AM
i was casting some ingots into muffin tins, and kept having them stick.

i had to dip the pan in the lead pot to melt them out.

why are my ingots sticking?

357maximum
01-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Are your pans anti stick-teflon coated by chance? No stick coatings do not work so good at the temps we deal with. Most of the issue I have had were due to actual construction/structure of the "MOLD" though. Some just do not work so well and is the main reason I switched to yardsale castiron and homespun angle iron molds.

Taylor
01-18-2010, 08:34 AM
I sprayed mine with Frankford Arsenal dropout,seems to work pretty good.

Bret4207
01-18-2010, 08:37 AM
I had the same issue till my wife threw away some older steel cupcake pans. The heavier construction seem to work better. The previous aluminum pans just flat out sucked swamp water.

WHITETAIL
01-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Yes, the castiron are the best way to go.[smilie=f:

Wayne Smith
01-18-2010, 08:57 AM
If they are sheet steel put them outside and let them rust. That's all that is needed.

Shiloh
01-18-2010, 10:08 AM
They'll rust for sure after the first time you use them.

Shiloh

Charlie Sometimes
01-18-2010, 10:19 AM
I think those light weight muffin tins do have some kind of coating on them, even if they aren't non-stick type.
I tried some old ones and some cavities stuck and some didn't.
Pam smokes and burns off- doesn't seem to help.
Try the mold release spray- that should do it.
They ain't worth leaving in the rain, once they rust evenly they might be compromised.
Cast iron is the only way to go really, and rust is good for them in our case.

Beekeeper
01-18-2010, 10:20 AM
brett,
You know there ain't no swamps in New York.
Youall sure youall ain't a southern boy that got lost?

Jim

sucngas
01-18-2010, 11:47 AM
I used a very lightweight aluminum miniture muffin mold with no coating. I have smelted 72 lbs of lead with not one sticking, and they weigh about 1/2 lb each. They also fit into my lee 10 lb pot very well. I always dump them when they are still very hot. Just wait long enough for them to solidify (you will see the top change color) then dump them out. If you are still havin' problems, I would try the graphite spray.

EMC45
01-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Let them rust or smoke those jokers!

markinalpine
01-18-2010, 12:22 PM
I sprayed mine with Frankford Arsenal dropout,seems to work pretty good.

One good use for this type of spray. I've treated old "Baker's Secret" muffin tins that weren't particularily rusty, just a little scorched and scratched, with it and have never had a sticking problem. Those cast iron corn bread pans are the best, though, because the ingots slip into my melter, and just adding one every so often doesn't drop the temp very much. The lead corn sticks do stack, if you alternate layers with flat side down, then flat side up, and reverse them end for end as you go across.

Mark :coffeecom

Lead Fred
01-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Aerokroil

Works great on molds, the ingots fall right out also

troy_mclure
01-19-2010, 06:09 AM
tried kroil, and dumping at different temps.

it was an Al pan i got at good will for $.25 so no big loss. all cast iron around here is expensive, you can buy new cheaper than used.

Bret4207
01-19-2010, 07:51 AM
brett,
You know there ain't no swamps in New York.
Youall sure youall ain't a southern boy that got lost?

Jim

Well, we may not have the Florida Everglades but both end of my farm are chock full of ducks, beaver, rats and geese. One wrong step and you'll be up to your armpits in water and pulling yourself out onto a quaking bog isn't much fun.

Sounds like a swamp to me. Maybe all those southern boys are just the southern version of a Yankee hayseed or Adirondack Ridgerunner?:veryconfu

35isit
01-19-2010, 10:35 AM
I read on another forum about stainless steel condiment cups. The author of the post got them at walmart. I bought all the local one had. 20 in all. $1.00 for 4. They work great. I simply dip them in with a pair of pliers. Ingots pop right out. I have made 60 so far they weighed about 70lbs. So mine averaged a little over a pound a piece. Wish I could find 20-40 more.

Bad Water Bill
01-19-2010, 07:22 PM
If you dump the molds as soon as they change color be careful as the interior may still be liquid and the TINSEL FAIRY might visit you.

chris in va
01-19-2010, 11:57 PM
No problems at all with my teflon/aluminum minimuffin pan. Flip it over, tap it a couple times and they all fall out.

35isit...

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=stainless+condiment+cups&_sacat=See-All-Categories