PDA

View Full Version : What tools do I need

Duckhunter
01-18-2010, 12:20 AM
I know that this is an open ended question but there is so much I don't know about boolit casting that I don't know where to start. I have purchased a Lee 20# bottom pour pot and it looks like it will do what I need. I also have a 2 cavity mold that cast good looking boolits. I've had a few rejects but most are within .2grains of being the desired weight with this batch of lead (recovered from my local range)

This is a Lee mold and I bought it to cast bullets to be used with another die to swage 40 cal boolits using 9mm brass. However, these boolits look so good I want to shoot some of them in my handgun. I see all this info about tumble lube and/or stick lub, sizers and sizing dies, lube and lube heaters. I can cast boolits that look ok; what else do I need to shoot some of these?

If I make a "solid lube" can I grease my boolits with this and then run them through a sizer (Lee lube and size kit) or do I need another piece of equipment to lube my boolits?

Thanks for any advise you can give a new boolit maker.

Rusty W
01-18-2010, 12:36 AM
Probably the easiest is Lee Liquid Alox. Tumble lube, size (if needed), one more coat of tumble lube, let dry, & shoot. I've had better luck with a mix of Johnson Paste Wax/LLA w/ a dash of mineral spirits. The boolits seem to dry quicker and not as sticky. Then again you could stick some JPW in a jar, set it in the window and let it soften, if the sun is shining, dump some boolits in the jar and swish around, pour boolits on some wax paper to dry, load and shoot. Then theirs pan lube but I've never tried it, others may chime in on that.

You could also buy a Star, RCBS, or Lyman lube/sizer that sizes and lubes. The LLA method works for me.

mpmarty
01-18-2010, 12:49 AM
I cast, inspect and throw rejects into a remelt container, tumble lube, size if absolutely necessary and then tumble lube again before loading. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is. LEE sizers work quite well and can be honed out for custom size boolits.

WHITETAIL
01-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Duckhunter, Welcome to the forum!:lovebooli
You will not go wrong with buying a sizer/ luber.
Either a Lyman or a RCBS.
They will last for years and you can make your own lube.8-)