PDA

View Full Version : Wounded my Oehler today

Greg in Malad
01-17-2010, 04:53 PM
http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz110/greginmalad/100_0464.jpg
It was bound to happen, Mr. Oehler has stared down the throat of death many times. I was shooting the .350 Rem today, and a gas check hit the screen:groner:
I found the missing chunk and will epoxy it back in, I am thankful for snow, I wouldn't have found it on bare dirt. This made me wonder how many gas checks fall off as they exit the muzzle.

fivegunner
01-17-2010, 05:10 PM
I feel your pain, a few years ago my second shot from my Freedom arms .475 Linebaugh took out all of my skyscreens . last year I hit one side of the upright thing with a Ruger LCP. thank God that Mr Oehler is still making parts!:D:lovebooli

badgeredd
01-17-2010, 05:20 PM
OUCH!!!!!!

I took out an upright on my PACT last summer...my first misplaced shot in at least 30 years (over a chronograph I must add). :smile:

May I inquire as to the brand of gas checks? Were they stock or annealed?

I have recently found that I needed a better way of seating my checks. I had a few come off that I would have sworn were tight. What I found was with some of the boolits, I do better by preseating them before sizing and crimping them on. I bought Swede Nelson gas check seated and I think I have cured my problem. A thought perhaps?

BTW the NOE gas check seated is sweet...yep that's a plug for a tool they make although I get not commission on the sales! :groner:

Edd

swheeler
01-17-2010, 05:33 PM
In the words of Forrest Gump, "It Happens"

teddyblu
01-17-2010, 05:38 PM
I to have shot my oehler, and put a gas check in the front sensor.
I havent had an incident since I started putting the unit closer to the muzzel .
about 8 feet or so. I don't have a problem with muzzel blast due to cast loads.
With jacket loads I do move it out further.

Larry

Greg in Malad
01-17-2010, 07:40 PM
I was using Hornady gas checks and was seating them by hand before sizing. They fit the shank snug, but they dont need to be pressed on.

Shiloh
01-17-2010, 08:49 PM
I have yet to find a boolit in the berm with a gas check still attached. I did shoot and destroy a chronograph once.

Shiloh

rwt101
01-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Heck that ain't nuttin. You probably saw the one I posted. :bigsmyl2:
Bob T

runfiverun
01-17-2010, 09:47 PM
greg all the saeco's i swapped ya were checked with gators.

Gelandangan
01-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I was testing cheap feebay copper jacketed swaged projectile on my 1:8 twist 300 whisper barrel at supersonic speed.
The high rate of twist must have create too much centrifugal force onto the copper jacket,
the projectile just disintegrated as it leave the barrel and smashed into my brand new Chrony :(

Oh well..

Frank46
01-18-2010, 12:23 AM
I don't think its a matter if you will shoot your chrono but when you do it. I've let a few friends fire a few over the screens to get an idea of how fast their loads are, and always had that thought in the back of my mind. Had some genius one day fire a round through the screens unasked. I was cleaning a rifle at the time. There were four of us shooting at the time and their aim I trust. I asked what did he think he was doing?. He said he didn't think I'd mind. Another canidate for the darwin awards club. I think my friends were more mad than me. Frank

ole 5 hole group
01-18-2010, 01:54 PM
I to have shot my oehler, and put a gas check in the front sensor.
I havent had an incident since I started putting the unit closer to the muzzel .
about 8 feet or so. I don't have a problem with muzzel blast due to cast loads.
With jacket loads I do move it out further.Larry

Larry, putting a blast shield/baffle half way to the first skyscreen might prevent that plus you'll never get a bad reading from that shock wave out front of your bullet if you're shooting subsonic (1,125 fps or less).