PDA

View Full Version : How to slug a barrel

motorcycle_dan
06-02-2006, 10:49 AM
With the purchase of used equipment and using it in different firearms. I think it is time I got around to slugging my different barrels. Is there a "Proper" way to do this. How do I whak it through the bore without damaging the bullet. When measuring the bullet, what is the best way to get accurate measurements without distorting the slug. Caliper or micrometer.

fourarmed
06-02-2006, 11:29 AM
For accuracy to a thousandth or better, a mike is the only way to go. Dial calipers - even the best ones - might be right to the nearest thou, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. The best digital calipers would probably do it, but they cost more than a decent 0-1" micrometer. The main things with a mike are accurate zeroing and consistency in the torque you apply. I'll never forget the story one of my colleagues told about the student who brought him a lab mike and said "what are we supposed to do with these C-clamps?"

There recently was a thread here on slugging. Do a search for it.

44man
06-02-2006, 05:16 PM
OH,OH, I have to wonder what kind of bullet you want to drive through the bore!
Only soft lead should be used, not a jacketed bullet.

Bass Ackward
06-02-2006, 05:31 PM
When slugging any bore there are two things that you need to know.

Is the begining of my bore larger than the exit? That means two slugs. One in the throat and out and one in the muzzle and out. Then what is the smallest dimension that I have to deal with? That involves a slug clear through the bore.

If your exit hole is larger than the smallest point in the bore, you have a problem that will cause limitations. Simple as that.

But it takes three slugs to determine this, not the one commonly believed. This goes for handgun and rifle alike.

ajc44mag
06-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Well,Hello.
I'm interested in BPCR, and so in this forum. If you ignore my attempt at humor on the first post of this thread, you may get a few ideas from the guysover in BPCR. I sure have.

http://groups.msn.com/bpcr/general.msnw?action=get_message&ID_Message=27781&ShowDelete=0&CDir=-2&all_topics=1

Art